Sped

Jim Perry's Helio Stallion. Photos?

Hi Robert,

OK, let me correct the typos:

Jim was the '69 US national champion. He was on the US Team in '70, went to the world meet & got screwed out of the World Overall title by a biased French judge. If you want to know more about that fiasco, talk to Johnny Higgins of North American Aviation. He also was on the US Team in '71.

He did not make the US Team in '72 but was the Canadian Team coach that year.

Hopefully, that now makes sense,

JerryBaumchen

mathrick

Oh man, that sure is some hardcore taildragging action there. Taxiing this thing must've been an interesting experience.

Jim Perry is definitely a Tail draggin kinda guy.... he rebuilds Porters that he finds all over creation that might be a bit munched up. I know he has two of them sitting at his house right now.... one they brought back from the Nepal in the Himalayas a couple summers ago. It was munched and he and his son Ryan( also now a skydiver) went over and had a guy with a big Russian chopper haul it down to someplace where they could get it boxed up in a 40' container and trucked to a port to ship back here to WA. I will see if I can dig out a piccie of that rodeo later....

Hi 9493,

I also jumped this fantastic airplane in 1989 at Couch Freaks and 1990 at Grandpa's Jumpfest in Albert Lea, MN.

Jim Lowe was killed flying Jim Perry's HeloStallion on 30 June 1988 at Perris, CA.

You might want to check your dates; I 'think' that Perry only had the one Stallion.

Jerry Baumchen

Faicon9493

******Pretty sure I jumped the Helio Stalion at Couch Freaks way way back then

I also jumped this fantastic airplane (Mike Mullins') in 1989 at Couch Freaks and 1990 at Grandpa's Jumpfest in Albert Lea, MN.

I knew Mike had a helio stallion but that was before my time. Did it have the bullet holes in it as the story I heard about said?

I have jumped the Helio Stallion twice in August 26 1986 at Bromont Quebec. It was one of the rare jump plane where one could exit both sides. I noticed that the slats had to be manually set up for take off but at a specific speed, they were retracting by themselves. It was also the only turbine tail dragger airplane I have jumped from. A nice airplane. I was told at the time that there were only 3 remaining [flying]. I remember that from the one of the 2 jumps, the Helio Stallion as a tail dragger couldn't come back at Bromont for landing due to too high side winds. He had to go at St Jean-sur-le-Richelieu Quebec to land on a runway better oriented for a safe landing.
Just in case, could it be the one shown on the picture ? Sorry for the picture and the marks, it is the only one I have.;)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.