PeteW

Skydiving after an L1 Comp fracture

Hey I got my solo cert years ago then moved to a town where I could paraglide right in town. Ended up paragliding for a few years and 105 flights. I had 36 skydives and one jump out of a tandem paraglider too. As well as a paraglider d bag from a tandem. My 105th paraglide was a bit of a raunchy day and I had some strange tangle as I launched. Ended up stuck in a hard left turn and went through the trees. Dropped around 30' and landed on my ass giving me a compression fracture. During recovery I had decided that I was going to quit flying. Fast forward 5 years later m now married with a toddler. Life is great but I find myself missing being in the air. Wife is more than supportive. Not sure what I'm really asking. I know my back is healthy and strong. I guess I thought I was done but I can't stop thinking about jumping. It's more mental than anything else. Any advice lol?

Thanks dude. I think I am just gonna do it. I can't stop thinking about it. I find myself being more and more scared of stupid things. I went ziplinning last week and it awoke that feeling that I miss. Almost felt like it cleared my head a bit. But of course it wasn't enough.

A few months ago I was almost scared to get on a passenger plane. Wtf?

I made what was my last jump when Minnesota Skydivers Club was in Owatonna. Never meant for it to be my last jump just kind of happened with a family and such. I kept telling myself that the sky would always be there. That seems to be true-the kids are older and into their own things now; my wife bought me a gift certificate to Skydive Twin Cities so I'm thinking I better stop talking about getting back in the air and go do it. Looking back, I do wish that I'd kept some level of currency up over the years, though. Best of luck to you!

Very much agreed to check with your doctor first. If he says its healed, then go for it.

I have a 1 1/2 year old boy as well. I skydive (well, I will once my ankle heals up). My wife is also supportive, even after my 3 month recovery, so its certainly something that can be done while married with kids. Here are some tips from another skydiving dad:

1) Makes sure your life insurance pays after a skydiving related incident. Not all plans do, and if it does, make sure that amount is enough for your family to clean up the mess and get a stable footing for the future.. I know that skydiving can kill me. I also know that life will eventually kill me. I know that with everyone txting and driving, that'll probably be what kills me first. Either way, I want my family to have enough money to pay to have my dead ass disposed of, and pay the bills for a year until other means of income can be sourced.

2) Don't do anything too crazy. Don't go looking to get yourself killed, or worse. Don't start pushing the envelope (hook turns, swooping, etc) until your damn sure you're ready to. Skydiving is by nature dangerous, but still quite safe comparatively to say, getting on the highway. But that doesn't mean its a good idea to drive with your foot on the wheel, hanging out of your sun roof, and drinking a beer. Likewise, jump conservatively, and don't downsize before you're ready to.

3) Very much personal opinion - Don't let everyone that says "but you have a kid. you should stop skydiving" get between you and jumping, or any of your dreams for that matter. If it makes you a happier, better person, then go for it. I'd rather raise my kid where he sees his father accomplishing his dreams than setting an example of "status quo is as good as it gets"..

Good luck / Blue Skies!

dot_txt

But that doesn't mean its a good idea to drive with your foot on the wheel, hanging out of your sun roof, and drinking a beer.

Dammit.
You've ruined my commute. B|
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Thanks for the solid advice. I was having trouble as a dad. Almost made me feel guilty. But its great to have a supportive wife too.

Will do the life insurance. I agree with the risks that come along with it. But life is a risk too.

I time off from flying when I needed it. I feel like I am in the right headspace to keep going now. Hey I really like the part about not settling for status quo. I feel like thats where I was slipping.

Life insurance is going to ask if you skydive. DO NOT LIE! They will insure you but at a higher rate. Also most insurances are vested after 2 years so very little will nullify not even suicide but if you lie about anything like jumping or smoking or being a junkie your family will get nothing and they will find out so don't risk it tell the truth ALL OF IT.

Now from one Dad to the next my kids love that I jump and both want to jump when they are 18. My daughter thinks she only wants to do it once or twice so I can jump with her but the boy has big dreams of jumping with his dad. I just hope I am still able to jump in 10 years when he can finally jump.

Life is short even shorter if your a dumbass so just don't be a dumbass and you'll be fine :)

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Ya I never screw around with insurance.

I took my son out to the DZ last week. He loved it! Just gotta chat with my Doc.

Don't plan on being a dumbass anymore. I took more risks when I was single. Plus I am too busy to spend every weekend there. Will be once or twice a month for the next few years. Family comes first then my work.

Go jump! Damaged L5 & S1 when I was 18 in an army parachute incident. Went through hell for a while, still have problems with my back some 30 years later - work on core strength and the back is fine. Sit on my butt doing nothing and its not. Still jumping round chutes as well and loving being back in the air after what was far too long a lay off. The YOLO crowd got it all wrong - you only die once, so get out there and enjoy the living

MY back is the same. If I am lazy I pay for it. The more active I am the better I feel. My only worry is crashing again, but can't live life on the couch. I would hate to try and live a perfectly safe life and die in a car wreck.

I've had spinal fusion (titanium rods support) L4-L5-S1 almost 20 yrs ago in my early 20's. Gave up all sports then apart from a little physio post surgery. Now I'm 39 and only the prospect of skydiving has brought a rebirth. Been training in the tunnel for the past months and booked in for AFF in the Spring.
Yes, I am scared of hurting my back during landing (the tunnel seems to not affect it at all and the extra training i'm doing is actually very helpful, swimming and core) but I am just going to have to find out the hard way I guess.

Good for you. MY injury was not that serious compared to yours. Mine was a stable fracture and required nothing but physio. For me if I stay active my back is fine. And the two jumps I did yesterday didn't bother it one bit. I wish we had a tunnel where I live.