2 2
Cocowheats

It's really no wonder why DZ.com has become more stagnant over time.

4 hours ago, jakee said:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure that the way hard, non-bendy objects absorb impact energy is by breaking. When they don’t they just transfer it all to the next component in line.

If you have questions about landing technique, talk to your canopy coach about it.

It's really no wonder why DZ.com has become more stagnant over time.

That's what happens when liberals dominate an environment.

I mean it's gotten to the point where Bill includes how conservatives might respond to his post just so they have something to argue about.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Coreece said:

Yes, the right wing tends to get frustrated and run away because they need to be reassured, not challenged. Or they go over the top, lose their cool and break the rules resulting in a time out. Because you know, civil discussion is for “cucks”.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I mean it's gotten to the point where Bill includes how conservatives might respond to his post just so they have something to argue about.

Yes, the right wing tends to get frustrated and run away because they need to be reassured, not challenged. Or they go over the top, lose their cool and break the rules resulting in a time out. Because you know, civil discussion is for “cucks”.

Making shit up and having civil discussions with your own strawmen because there are no conservatives around to bash is not only cucky, it's kooky.

And btw, I highly doubt anyone in SC has been banned since the new point system was implemented.

5 hours ago, Coreece said:

And if conservatives dominated the environment they wouldn't bother reading any post to find out what it was actually about, they would just fire off a boiler plate response to every thread about everything everywhere being the liberals' fault even when the topic has nothing whatsoever to do with political discussion.

I think that would get pretty stagnant, don't you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Making shit up and having civil discussions with your own strawmen because there are no conservatives around to bash is not only cucky, it's kooky.

And btw, I highly doubt anyone in SC has been banned since the new point system was implemented.

Certainly not from lack of trying. Glad you're well, if still unhappy. Welcome back!

30 minutes ago, jakee said:

And if conservatives dominated the environment they wouldn't bother reading any post to find out what it was actually about, they would just fire off a boiler plate response to every thread about everything everywhere being the liberals' fault even when the topic has nothing whatsoever to do with political discussion.

I think that would get pretty stagnant, don't you?

See every attempt to make a "conservative twitter" or "conservative facebook". All doomed to failure.

20 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

See every attempt to make a "conservative twitter" or "conservative facebook". All doomed to failure.

That's because that damned Libs own all the server farms and won't allow hate speech. You have to go on FOX for for that.

Cory, we’d love to have you here. Look at how Bigun, Airdvr, and Billisle engage. There’s disagreement, sometimes heated, and sometimes walking away. But man this place is more boring when they’re not here. 
Each site’s culture is a part of that site. There are others who post here too; some favor the “let’s pwn the libs with funny videos” tactic. I know I don’t watch the videos, because in my experience they start like any movie, and assume a suspension of disbelief. Not going there. 
Just so you know, new people posting, and old people returning, tends to liven things up; that’s a good thing. But trolling, bumping, and name-calling of people (as opposed to ideas) is still points-worthy. 
Please, oh please, free free to come back. I enjoyed a lot of what you posted. I do come here for intelligently-expressed differing opinions. And it’s not like I get those from FB
Wendy P. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

I greatly prefer that to the conservative approach - making shit up, not telling anyone what it is and arguing against that.

You'd be wrong there.

7 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Glad you're well, if still unhappy. Welcome back!

Well I took over a year off so far from politics/news, so that's helped.  Not sure if I can ever go back to that again.  But whatever, happiness is a choice, right?  I mean as long as you're not suffering too much, I suppose.

6 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Cory, we’d love to have you here. Look at how Bigun, Airdvr, and Billisle engage. There’s disagreement, sometimes heated, and sometimes walking away.

Right, but I can already see that I'm still having trouble walking away.  I mean I'm only a couple posts in and already snarkin' off.  I see a reply and it's like fire in my bones.  I honestly don't know why I care so much - it's not healthy.

57 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I mean I'm only a couple posts in and already snarkin' off.  I see a reply and it's like fire in my bones.  I honestly don't know why I care so much - it's not healthy.

Good grief, is that text book reactionary or what? If it makes you think it's healthy. If it makes you angry it is not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gowlerk said:
4 hours ago, Coreece said:

I mean I'm only a couple posts in and already snarkin' off.  I see a reply and it's like fire in my bones.  I honestly don't know why I care so much - it's not healthy.

Good grief, is that text book reactionary or what? If it makes you think it's healthy. If it makes you angry it is not.

The decision to take an indefinite break from politics was mainly due to arguments with conservative friends and family.  It just wasn't worth tainting those relationships, so no. 

When it comes to liberals, I agree with the heart of the cause, after all I come from a working class family in the middle of Detroit who was brainwashed with PBS as a child.  I just loathe their technique.

Understood. That automatic reaction can be unhealthy; yeah, the thought isn't, but the automatic reaction can be frustrating. We have a block function now, so if there are individual posters who really set you off, it's useful...

Wendy P.

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

We have a block function now, so if there are individual posters who really set you off, it's useful...

Unfortunately for me, the people that piss me off are also the ones I find most insightful here. I still highly value their input.

I suppose I also like being "set off" in the sense of being stimulated, which can be either good or bad.  Many here probably don't care, but it helps me to think of this from a poker mindset.

I use a TAG style of play (tight aggressive)  which in a general sense means I'm going to fold marginal yet playable starting hands and use those chips, along with an aggressive betting strategy to extract more value from premium hands at the top of my range.

During play, if my holding has a positive expected value against a known opponents range of hands in any given situation, then it's profitable to continue the hand.  If not than I must fold regardless of how bad I want to play, even if I really think I have him beat and want to get him back for check raising or excessive theft of my blinds. It's just not going to be profitable in the long run.

So after all that we come to the obvious conclusion to just choose your battles wisely and limit ego/emotion.

This is also a time management issue since I have a tendency of being over stimulated which then bleeds over into my personal/professional life either through a loss of time and/or production.  So in this sense, those chips that I'm saving by folding marginal yet playable hands represents the time I could save my limiting unnecessary and petty posts, and using that time to create/relply to more substantive posts.

So again, the obvious conclusion being quality/quantity - haste/waste.

• Like 1

Many here probably don't care, but it helps me to think of this from a poker mindset.

Some are here to win, some are here to learn. No one should be thinking they can change minds. My arguments mostly come from the heart. I like to express why I believe what I do. And because I am lazy I mostly try to use the fewest words possible. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 12:49 PM, wmw999 said:

Cory, we’d love to have you here. Look at how Bigun, Airdvr, and Billisle engage. There’s disagreement, sometimes heated, and sometimes walking away. But man this place is more boring when they’re not here. 
Each site’s culture is a part of that site. 
Just so you know, new people posting, and old people returning, tends to liven things up; that’s a good thing. But trolling, bumping, and name-calling of people (as opposed to ideas) is still points-worthy. 
Please, oh please, free free to come back. I enjoyed a lot of what you posted. I do come here for intelligently-expressed differing opinions. And it’s not like I get those from FB
Wendy P. 

Wendy - No doubt that the constant negative barrage on just about anything that's different from what appears to be the majority opinion is off putting. The labeling and name calling is not good. I do post less and less. It's no longer fun, but it's educational to understand how other folks see things.

As an example, this topic is one I didn't reply to until now.

Having said that - I've had a few off line convos that have been respectful and educational. And there are some posters that have strong opposing opinions and are respectful. Those are the enjoyable conversations.

• Like 1