malorie721811

Who has knee injury experience from skydiving?

hi, Everyone, I am doing some research about knee’s injury in skydiving. Could you guys share your experiences? Great thanks to you guys!

1. How did you get injured on your knee? Could you describe it?

2. Which part of your knee injured? E.g. ACL/PCL/Meniscus,etc.

3. Did you have experiences in wearing knee braces when skydiving? How do you feel?

Are you talking about injured knees due to a skydiving accident?? I've dislocated each of my kneecaps twice (so 4 total) before I ever started skydiving. I wear braces on both knees for any sports I play and while I skydive. They don't effect things that much. Just sometimes sucks in a really crowded plane if I'm sitting on the floor with a bunch of people
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
*It's not flair, it's flare*
*Please use "your" and "you're" responsibly*

Torn PCL, right knee. Rolled under me baseball slide style. Got in a bad habit of dragging right leg behind me on landing. Haven't had it repaired, some play in the knee. I never wore a brace while jumping, but I did jump after the injury.
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Left knee: torn PCL and two torn lateral ligaments during a (airplane) forced landing. Resumed jumping 8 months later, but 5 years later it dis-located. Eventually had surgery to re-align the tibia, but I still have to be careful not to dis-locate it. Lots of exercises to keep knee muscles strong and wear a brace when doing tandems.

malorie721811

Are you professional skydiver?

Do a few tandems and AFF

so PLF still bring about some of injury?

Yes, a good PLF will lessen what could have been a severe injury

Do you feel wear the knee brace will help your knees?

I don't feel that way, but I'm not a professional orthopedic surgeon. However, my orthopedic surgeon has me do physical therapy to strengthen the knees, but has not recommended braces. She also said I'm a candidate for a partial knee replacement someday.

or did you hear someone kind of this experiences?

No, unfortunately it all happened to me. ;)

malorie721811

so PLF still bring about some of injury?

His canopy collapsed, which means it stopped creating lift, so you just drop to the ground. That's why even PLF can't prevent injury. I believe PLF was useful when landing rounds to avoid broken legs, but with squares having high air speeds an therefore high ground speeds downwind or in low/nil wind you're probably better off sliding the landing, unless you're sinking steeply in deep breaks then PLF is probably the best option.

Rt Lateral Tibial Plateau fracture - Tandem skydive, slid-in landing on soft ground... My right foot/leg stopped in the soft dirt; "We" did not.. Fracture did not separate, so no pin or screws. Some meniscus damage. No surgery..

6 weeks in a brace, no movement. 6 more weeks in pt..

It still acts up sometimes. I try not to kneel on that knee very much in the Cessna 182..

That's all I really remember, it was back in 1998 and I'm not a doctor..

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!