paparker21

What approach for getting my "A"

So i finally have the money in hand to start my pursuit of the sky (I was hooked as soon as we hit altitude for my tandem) but i'm not sure the best way to set out on this endeavor. I've got a few options and thought I would solicit some feedback from those who know best!

Q1: Where should i do my training?
-Option 1 is a small local dz, nice people, where i did my tandem, will likely be my home dz. It's still about 1.5 hours away though, and it doesn't have classrooms or an exit mockup for dirt dives, or hanging harnesses. I'm sure they are capable of doing the training, but i'm not sure how confident i am
-Option 2 is a more established DZ that's about 2.5 hours away. Multiple aircraft, classrooms, exit mock up, and other amenities. They host some events and seem to have a good report. They also guarantee all your jumps between AFF and your A to have a coach along at no additional cost- this really speaks volumes to their commitment to a quality training program.
-Options 3/4 - with my tax return, I'd consider traveling to a dz in FL or CA. Larger, active DZs where i'm confident I'd get good training. Bonus: I wouldn't need to wait another month or so for the weather to warm up like i would with my local DZ. Negative: if weather goes south i'm screwed and end up having to finish training locally anyway. Programs are also a little more expensive + cost of travel means less money for fun jumping after my A.

Q2: How fast should i do my training?
-Spread everything out over a number of weekends and enjoy the process, jumping a handful of times each weekend
-Take time off to rush AFF in about 4-5 days, then spread the remaining jumps over weekends
-Take more time off and rush all of A in a couple weeks

Obvious considerations for these options-
-The more money i spend on training, the less fun jumping i'll get to make
-The longer i take training, the less fun jumping i'll get to do this season
-The more time I take off for training the less likely i am to travel to any events

I think, right now, i'm leaning towards taking a couple days to try and rush AFF at the DZ 2.5 hours away then spreading the remaining jumps over the subsequent month. The idea of a real vacation to somewhere warm is pretty damn alluring though.

IMO if you can do 2-3 jumps a day for a couple days to finish your aff it would be very beneficial. you will progress faster doing as many jumps as can. as your progress you can do more jumps in day before your daily 'burnout'

I'm not sure how common this is but in my earlier jumps I would get a slight bit of motion sickness or light headed ness.

Not sure if it was the altitude? Motion?

Anyway, it would have been a hindrance if I was trying to get max jumps in let's say a week - on top of weather. I had to cut off after 2 jumps some days.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

Hmm well here's my opinion. Just get out there and jump doesn't matter which one. Just go jump.

For myself though the obvious one would be the one that is closest so you don't have to drive 5hrs when the clouds blow in or the winds come up. Instead its only 3 hrs and you already referred to the fact that it had a decent vibe and said they were nice people. What is it that you aren't confident about them? and more importantly what kind of planes and what kind of training SL, IAD or AFF?

gunsmokex

the obvious one would be the one that is closest so you don't have to drive 5hrs when the clouds blow in or the winds come up.

Without knowing anything about their training program, this is a really good point.

I can say from experience that a longer journey to the DZ during AFF is a major impediment - if you like the people and they have a training program, go there.

There is actually a lot to be said for a small DZ as a new skydiver. You will quickly become known, and people will take you under their wing and into the family a lot quicker. It may take you a little longer in terms of days spent on the DZ, but that is no bad thing. You learn just as much from being in the environment as you do from your AFFIs.

You can't really go wrong, but without knowing any more that you've posted, I'd say go with your locals and do it over weekends.

[edit to add: I actually did mine in a few days on holiday at a bigger place. This isn't wrong either, but I don't think I really gained anything from blitzing through my AFF other than a cool holiday in Spain.]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

bdawk

I'm not sure how common this is but in my earlier jumps I would get a slight bit of motion sickness or light headed ness.

Anyway, it would have been a hindrance if I was trying to get max jumps in let's say a week - on top of weather. I had to cut off after 2 jumps some days.

I had a lot of problems with motion sickness (have had all of my life) and other problems learning to skydive. I am happy I didn't commit to some big, fast, adventure and then discover my problems.

I think each person has a pace that fits them the best. Until you have a few jumps, that pace might be hard to identify.

Have fun.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

If you are going to go to a bigger DZ, I might suggest Eloy in AZ instead of CA or FL. I flew down to FL from NC to do my training at Zhills.....lots of sporadic clouds or rain that would show up. Desert climate, you don't have to worry about this quite as much. But I will say that the training at Zhills was top notch and a great place to learn

I think what you do depends on your personality. I have NO patience and so getting my A license quickly was important to me. It killed me to not have it and it's all I thought about while waiting for weekends to go jump and check items off my progression card. I don't think there is anything wrong with a combination. Maybe go through AFF (cat A through E2 at a minimum) at a DZ where you can knock it out quickly. Maybe even get a few coach jumps in. If you can get say 12 jumps in over a week span, you could go back to your home DZ with a tad bit of knowledge then finish out the rest of your coach jumps closer to home. I do certainly think there is merit to doing some of your training at your home DZ if it's a small one to give you a chance to build relationships with instructor at a minimum that can then help you get plugged in with some other fun jumpers once you're licensed.
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
*It's not flair, it's flare*
*Please use "your" and "you're" responsibly*

I would definitely go with option #2. When I did my AFF I did 2-3 jumps per day, depending on weather. Makes you more comfortable and consistent. If you have to wait a week or more between jumps, you can loose your feel for it in the beginning. When my wife did her AFF she went to Eloy and while the tunnel was a benefit for her, she did feel like just a number, and that the instructors didn't care all that much, meaning they were way too relaxed and just from watching from the outside, I would have felt uncomfortable myself in the way they did her AFF. They just push em through, one after another, no personality, and the instructors just seemed like they didn't want to be there at all. I had a blast with my AFF and I had the same instructor for all of my 9 jumps, we reviewed video afterward (no extra charges) and it was very helpful. Still friends today. My wife, would have a hard time telling you the name of her 4 different instructors...

you gotta be comfortable with the place, thats what it comes down too....also the advantage of a bigger place is usually bigger planes with bigger doors. a 182 on your first jump could be considered more tricky bc of the exiting process...

Hello My friend!
Firstly as a fellow baby skydiver, welcome to the best thing you will ever do in your life! I'm just shy of my A license and will finish up as soon as I can when the season starts in good old NE. Now I firmly think you should go with the smaller DZ as I think it will be really beneficial (as it has been for me) to get the more personalized attention. I have been going through AFF and the process of getting my A at a dropzone that doesn't normally offer it. I got lucky for a couple of reasons and was able to start last year. Getting the one-on-one and feel of a smaller DZ has been such a bonus for me. I have two friends I've watched start the process at bigger DZ with never the same instructors and the both repeated levels and struggled alot. I sailed through and felt so much more confident with my experience. But that's only my opinion, from what I've learned and observed so far! whatever you chose you will love being part of an amazing sky family! Good luck and blue skies!
"feel the fear and do it anyways."

Over the last 35 years, I have taught at a lot of different DZs, both big and small. Training is quickest and most satisfying when a student makes 2 or 3 jumps per day and completes all the levels within a week.
It just makes ground school to so much quicker when I can remind the student of something he did this morning and mold that skill to perfection. Much easier when the last jump is still fresh in their mind, when they can still remember colours, how the wind felt on their arms and so on .....
Go to a desert drop zone and crank out most of your AFF jumps during a single week. Even better if the DZ has a wind tunnel nearby.
Second best is visiting a wind tunnel (for one day) a week or two before your AFF course. Ideally the wind tunnel has AFF Instructors on staff who will coach you on basic freefall skills.

Thanks for the input guys. I've decided that I'll be doing my AFF at the smaller DZ and i'll be taking a Friday or two off so i can knock it out across as few weekends as possible. Couple of deciding factors:

1) The further DZ, while a touch larger, jumps only saturday/sunday.
2) My email correspondence with the smaller DZ was just better- happily answering questions, clarifying things, and just providing excellent customer service in general.
3) Less time driving, no hotel cost (I've got buddies who live about halfway that graciously will share a couch with me for the weekend for the price of booze!)

bdawk

Hard to say, it could be actual motionsickness, or it could simply be the effect of anxiety, adrenaline rush, etc.
I remember getting quite sick (stomach etc) before a jump, because of anxiety and being nervous, I was positive it wasn't motion sickness (never suffered from it the slightest bit).
And yes, after two jumps in a day, I would be totally drained because of this tension.

It eventually went away after a couple dozens jumps. Now I can do 7-8 jumps in a day and simply feel like it's been a great day and anticipating the following day like that.

If you never suffered from motion sickness, then I'd be more prone to say it's other factors, but it's hard to say. If you can manage a couple of jumps per day while being on top of your game and staying safe (i.e. head's in the game), then I'd say don't worry and go for it, I'm willing to bet it'll get better, even if IT IS motion sickness, taking anxiety out of the equation should help a little.
Just always make sure that when you exit that door, you are not feeling like total shit because then it won't simply be not enjoyable, but it could potentially be dangerous.
If you have to call a day after one or even zero jumps, do so.
If you feel like one day you can go for 3 or 4, do so.

Know thyself. :)
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Many factors can contribute to motion-sickness, including dehydration, poor sleep, anxiety, nutrition, residual alcohol .... Oh! Wait a minute! I just described a hangover!
It so helps if you keep your eyes outside the airplane and watch the horizon.
I can count on one hand the number of my tandem students who have vomited and most of them skipped breakfast. I have never understood that logic?????
Fear generates adrenaline and adrenaline rapidly burns through blood sugar. Once they run out of blood sugar, their stomach gets upset .

Far wiser to limit alcohol consumption, get a good night's sleep, eat a decent breakfast, sip water during the day and nibble small snacks throughout the day.

AMEN!
Hydration and Nutrition.

That is some golden rule to keep in mind if you want to keep going for the whole day. Whichever works for you, fruit, nutrition bars, etc. but I know I get fiercely hungry when I skydive.
And if I don't drink, I know I'll have a royal headache at the end of the day. :)
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.