JaiDiver

Skydiving companion iPhone app

Hey guys - so I'm fairly new to skydiving, but one thing I've noticed is a lack of coherence in the app space for skydivers. I found a Paralog app, a wing loading calculator app and not much else (well there's the USPA SIM of course).

So, I'm working on ideas for what would be useful to have in terms of functionality, to kind of structure the information within the community and also provide access to useful tools. Some of what I was thinking:

1. Save list of gear/inventory - use with wing loading to easily know your wing loading on each rig/set of gear
  2. Equipment database - list/stats of canopies, etc from manufacturers
  3. Dropzone database/reviews (from dropzone.com)
  4. Wing loading calculator (there's already an app that does this)[
  5. Logbook - guess there's already the Paralog iOS app for this?

Thoughts and feedback would be cool. If this does move into the execution phase, this community would be dictating what features get done and when. Do you guys think there's a need? Or we already got what we need (which I find very hard to believe)?

I'm feeling "red wine honest" so...not to piss in your Cheerios...just one dudes view from the DoubleTree hotel bar near SeaTac...

The reason there is no "coherence in the skydiving app space" (whatever the fuck that means) is due to the fact these there is exactly zero worth spending money on.

So with that said:

1) WL: I'm not sure that anyone really cares...or doesn't know how to use their iPhone calculator. I'm "about 2.0ish..." On a 120 I was 1.7ish and a 150 1.4ish. I suspect that most are the same when it comes to lack of specificity - and also blame the beer weight. Most ppl can give you a guess that is close enough.

2) don't understand "list of stats." Sameish size, sameish planform...pretty similar. This data already exists...look here or chat with another jumper. Not that hard to find a dude that jumped a pilot. More aggressive stuff...don't need an app.

3) DZ database. Already exists. Not in app form but why would dz.com give up their data?

4) see #1. This is very useless (so is the existing app)

5) various solutions already exist. The best require no input. I use the burble app tied to the manifest software. I pay my monies and it counts my jumps. Couldn't be easier. Some ppl like paper log books, some folks use an alti etc. who gives a shit about a "jump counter"? No one, really. Show up with a D license (USPA FAI BPA AFP CSPA etc etc etc) and no one really gives a shit so long as you can make a passable display of currency and reserve date. One even gets some small benefit of the doubt showing up with a C license. So, again...cool for new guys I guess

Maybe some folks would like to develop apps and interfaces just for shits and giggles. Happens a bit within the swooping and wing suit crowds...but those are very small, specialized markets and the guys writing the code aren't worried about monetization.

Back in the day I had a weather app that would pull the local AWOS data so I could see the conditions. All seemed very sexy and up to date...but also didn't really mean much. Now in the AM I take the dogs out for a squirt and I see low clouds, wind, and cold. Time to go back to sleep.

So, no...I don't think there is a need. Maybe a new guy that just picked up a license...not too long after that it it simply annoying makework. Which, I think, might be the point.

I pretty much agree. Some of this stuff would be useful for newer jumpers.
Canopy/container/manufacturer info is the only part I'm interested in, and that's for when I talk to newer jumpers about how to research on manufacturers' websites.

Jumpers need to take responsibility for their own gear, knowledge, and trusted information sources. I've heard some really crap ideas/misinformation that folks come up with (because people mostly remember what they want too), please don't enable someone to misinterpret based on any additional sources.

Yup, nylon, forged steel, aircraft from the 60's some designed in the 40s. Skydiving is low tech for me. It's like progress ground to a halt about when I was born in '57. Even my audible is the simplest one they still make. All I need now is a mechanical AAD.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.