1 1
brenthutch

Virginia Governor’s race

8 hours ago, base698 said:

From the director of Airplane!

https://www.commentary.org/articles/david-zucker/wokeness_destroys-comedy/

> Or when they pressure writers to remove jokes that are otherwise perfectly offensive. As a result of these fear-based decisions, some of the best contemporary comedy minds are abandoning laughter in favor of admittedly brilliant but serious projects such as Joker, directed by Todd Phillips, and Chernobyl, written by Craig Mazin. These men collaborated on two of the Hangover pictures, which struck gold at the box office. Phillips summed up the general plight of the comedy writer when he said, “It’s hard to argue with 30 million people on Twitter. You just can’t do it. So, you just go, ‘I’m out.’”

Lots of movies are funny in their time and place. People used to laugh at perfectly good blackface, after all. Sometimes “they” don’t get it right, and go too far. But sometimes “we” do, too. 
If someone is offended it’s worth listening to why. Might still not change what I do, but if I expect someone else to consider my standards, I should consider theirs. 
Wendy P. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Lots of movies are funny in their time and place. People used to laugh at perfectly good blackface, after all. Sometimes “they” don’t get it right, and go too far. But sometimes “we” do, too. 
If someone is offended it’s worth listening to why. Might still not change what I do, but if I expect someone else to consider my standards, I should consider theirs. 
Wendy P. 

In a sense I agree with you, but sometimes I have a hard time accepting outrage as legitimate.

Suburbanite kids getting all in a lather after reading "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" have a quite different perspective than Lakota who have are intimately familiar with the basics.

I also dislike double standards, where Eddie Murphy and Whoopi Goldberg - who are children of the suburbs - are given a pass on racist diatribes where white comedians are held to account for humor that is much, much tamer.  Chris Rock is the Stepin Fetchit  (professional stereotype) of today.

I really don't expect much of anyone to consider my standards.  Members of the Cult of the Magic Jewish Zombie appear to assume that my lack of belief is because I am uninformed, and it never seems to dawn on them that I have every bit as much reason to be offended by their stance as they might be by mine.

I do not seek to tell people what to think, and I begrudge them the authority to inflict their limitations on me.

BSBD,

Winsor

4 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Yep.  Going back to the Little Rascals example, there are a few episodes that, even back in the 1980's, networks wouldn't show due to their racism.  There's a good chance that even Winsor and BH would cringe when they saw them.

On the other hand, there are episodes that, in the 1960's and 1970's, some networks wouldn't show because they were objectionable.  (One of a white girl kissing a black boy on the cheek, for example.)  They even had a character (Farina) who was of ambiguous gender.

Times (and standards) change.

35 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

And yet your whole thread is summed up by:

Isn't it funny how they can't claim racism cause I have a black and Latino friend.

The funny is the claim, not the racism.  A party who’s governor wore a KKK outfit and/or black face, accusing a party who just elected the first black woman to high office, of racism is funny!  It is funny like Ted Nugent saying we should all be vegans.

(edited)
47 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The funny is the claim, not the racism.  A party who’s governor wore a KKK outfit and/or black face, accusing a party who just elected the first black woman to high office, of racism is funny!  It is funny like Ted Nugent saying we should all be vegans.

You keep doubling down on the "I have a black friend so I cannot be racist" trope.

There is nothing funny about people wearing blackface or making light of KKK outfits. Political alignment really has nothing to do with it. Nor is a racist on one-side protection from being racist on the other side.

The Virginia Senate leader was the editor of a yearbook filled with slurs against black and Asian students, had Confederate imagery and mentioned nigger. It referred to another student as the barracks Jew since he dealt with finances. It also contained multiple pictures of students in blackface.

He mentioned in the yearbook how working on the yearbook had allowed him to release four years of inhibitions.

This same person has a DUI, fucked around in his marriage and was a paying member of Ashley Madison. He is also a 29 year proud member of the party of family values and personal responsibility.

Funny, eh.

Edited by SkyDekker

And today we find out that Phil Murphy easily won re-election in New Jersey, a state that many GOPers expected to win.

Why, this is nothing less than a sea change in the body politic.  They are sick of Youngkin's lies and failure to accomplish anything, and are restoring the country to sanity.

15 minutes ago, billvon said:

And today we find out that Phil Murphy easily won re-election in New Jersey, a state that many GOPers expected to win.

I wasn't aware the GOP thought they had a chance of winning the New Jersey race.  In a state where there are a million (not an exaggeration) more registered democrats than republicans, that would be pretty unrealistic.

31 minutes ago, billvon said:

Why, this is nothing less than a sea change in the body politic.  They are sick of Youngkin's lies and failure to accomplish anything, and are restoring the country to sanity.

New Jersey :rofl:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/11/truck-driver-ed-durr-may-pull-off-a-usd153-upset-in-new-jersey.html

32 minutes ago, billvon said:

18 minutes ago, TomAiello said:

I wasn't aware the GOP thought they had a chance of winning the New Jersey race.  In a state where there are a million (not an exaggeration) more registered democrats than republicans, that would be pretty unrealistic.

Had NJ only had 400,000 more registered Democrats (like VA) the Ds would have lost there as well.

45 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

You keep doubling down on the "I have a black friend so I cannot be racist" trope.

There is nothing funny about people wearing blackface or making light of KKK outfits. Political alignment really has nothing to do with it. Nor is a racist on one-side protection from being racist on the other siThe Virginia Senate leader was the editor of a yearbook filled with slurs against black and Asian students, had Confederate imagery and mentioned nigger. It referred to another student as the barracks Jew since he dealt with finances. It also contained multiple pictures of students in blackface.

He mentioned in the yearbook how working on the yearbook had allowed him to release four years of inhibitions.

This same person has a DUI, fucked around in his marriage and was a paying member of Ashley Madison. 

Funny, eh.

Sounds like a mashup of Bill Clinton, Ted Kennedy and Ralph Northam.