1 1
Westerly

Inflation explosion

On 11/9/2021 at 8:15 AM, gowlerk said:

Probably the very best thing that could be done is to put you in charge of everything. You always seem to have all the answers

Yea you're right because you know everything that's been going on for the last two years has been nothing but back to back slam dunks. We keep nailing it every time. Thanks for clearing that up. I may not have all the answers, but I know what the answer is NOT, which is pretty much everything that we've done so far.

i called it early on that the vaccine testing was a waste of time and we should have gone right to market. In the end I was the only person this forum that was actually right. No major safety issues were identified in any of the trials (which made them a waste of time) and more than 100,000 people died that could have been saved if we went right to market with a note that it's experimental and take it at your own risk.

Edited by Westerly

1 hour ago, Westerly said:

Yea you're right because you know everything that's been going on for the last two years has been nothing but back to back slam dunks. We keep nailing it every time. Thanks for clearing that up. I may not have all the answers, but I know what the answer is NOT, which is pretty much everything that we've done so far.

i called it early on that the vaccine testing was a waste of time and we should have gone right to market. In the end I was the only person this forum that was actually right. No major safety issues were identified in any of the trials (which made them a waste of time) and more than 100,000 people died that could have been saved if we went right to market with a note that it's experimental and take it at your own risk.

Slow down and stretch a bit before patting yourself on the back so godamn hard! 

The fact that the vaccines turned out to be safe and effective means that we never should have spent the time to verify they're safe and effective?!?!?!?!  And again, you're some sort of medical professional???

1 hour ago, Westerly said:

Yea you're right because you know everything that's been going on for the last two years has been nothing but back to back slam dunks. We keep nailing it every time.

Of course we didn't.  When we started out we knew next to nothing about the virus.  We've learned a lot since then.

You've given actively bad advice on this forum, which speaks to Gowlerk's point.  Of course, if you were actually in a position of responsibility, I think you would have taken more care with your comments.

i called it early on that the vaccine testing was a waste of time and we should have gone right to market.

That's like saying that the tumor turned out not to be malignant so we should never have removed it. 

Given the accelerated testing schedule for the vaccine, I think they struck a good balance between doing the usual 18 month Stage 3 testing and getting it out too soon.

4 hours ago, billvon said:

Of course we didn't.  When we started out we knew next to nothing about the virus.  We've learned a lot since then.

You've given actively bad advice on this forum, which speaks to Gowlerk's point.  Of course, if you were actually in a position of responsibility, I think you would have taken more care with your comments.

That's like saying that the tumor turned out not to be malignant so we should never have removed it. 

Given the accelerated testing schedule for the vaccine, I think they struck a good balance between doing the usual 18 month Stage 3 testing and getting it out too soon.

Predicting the past is much easier than predicting the future.

9 hours ago, Westerly said:

Wow. Just wow. If you are genuinely a medical professional you should contemplate a change of career to something where you can't have any impact on peoples health.

18 hours ago, billvon said:

Well, except for the whole RFID Chip and Luciferase slowing down the process.  

43 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Well, I gotta tell ya - That 5G chip is a bunch of crap.

I've been vaxxed & boosted. 
My cell signal still sucks.

The 5G chip doesn't help unless you also buy a 5G-enabled cellphone. 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 8:35 PM, JoeWeber said:

O.K, now this inflation shit isn't funny. I just got dinged for a 15% rise on my Pinot futures. Somebody needs to do something, goddamnit! 

Well if you and other free spending Americans thought this whole inflation B.S. thing was significant. You'd all just stop buying.

Instead "Retail sales surged 1.7% last month, the Commerce Department said on Tuesday. Data for September was revised higher to show retail sales increasing 0.8% instead of 0.7% as previously reported. Sales have now risen for three straight months."

Clearly there are just too many Pinot lovers. have you thought about switching to Two Buck Chuck instead. Over a billion buyers can't be that wrong.

Edited by Phil1111

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Well if you and other free spending Americans thought this whole inflation B.S. thing was significant. You'd all just stop buying.

Instead "Retail sales surged 1.7% last month, the Commerce Department said on Tuesday. Data for September was revised higher to show retail sales increasing 0.8% instead of 0.7% as previously reported. Sales have now risen for three straight months."

Clearly there are just too many Pinot lovers. have you thought about switching to Two Buck Chuck instead. Over a billion buyers can't be that wrong.

Two Buck Chuck is $3 I believe.  The Cabernet is actually OK for making mulled wine, especially if cognac is added.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulled_wine

• Like 1

On a smaller time frame what's occurring where I live is:

3 weeks ago we were around $2.85, over a 5 day period it stepped up to $3.05 and stayed there for a week.

Then a week ago three stations were at $2.77, that lasted 4 days. Then it went to $2.88 for 2 days.

Yesterday, at the station I usually use, the morning price was $2.88, the afternoon was $2.99.

A main competitor 2 blocks away was $2.77, then followed to $2.88 and stayed there. The guys that owns that station has a couple other stations, one of them was $2.84. Filled up the big truck and got 15g of ethanol free in cans at $3.35. 

We are 60 miles from the fuel terminal in North Augusta, SC. That proximity helps to keep the price lower, trucking is part of the price. When I was working the terminal was one of my customers. It was interesting to learn how they operate, mix fuels, load trucks, etc. Interestingly, each type

fuel, ethanol, and the various additives are stored in different tanks. Everything is added and mixed as the truck is loaded. 

We don't have any shortages or other easily identifiable reasons for these swings. Maybe it's just local stations competing. They make much higher margins on sodas, beer, energy drinks and snacks. Attracting drivers for those purchases may be the reason.

1 hour ago, billeisele said:

They make much higher margins on sodas, beer, energy drinks and snacks. Attracting drivers for those purchases may be the reason.

I always wanted to open a drive-thru convenience store where you never have to get out of the truck. Picture a gable roofed barn where you pull your truck in through the back, beer & liquor attendants on one side, medical marijuana, cbd oil & pogey bait attendants on the other. Pay at end of the barn. Then, pull out to the gas pumps. I'd call it the Nirvana Quik Stop. Have a good weekend, sir. :)   

2 hours ago, billeisele said:

On a smaller time frame what's occurring where I live is:...

We don't have any shortages or other easily identifiable reasons for these swings. Maybe it's just local stations competing. They make much higher margins on sodas, beer, energy drinks and snacks. Attracting drivers for those purchases may be the reason.

The current average price in the US is now 99 cents per liter. In Canada $1.31 per liter, Norway and the Netherlands its $2.20 per liter.

Canada is a net exporter of 3 million barrels per day. Two point eight of which go to the US.

Edited by Phil1111

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I always wanted to open a drive-thru convenience store where you never have to get out of the truck. Picture a gable roofed barn where you pull your truck in through the back, beer & liquor attendants on one side, medical marijuana, cbd oil & pogey bait attendants on the other. Pay at end of the barn. Then, pull out to the gas pumps. I'd call it the Nirvana Quik Stop. Have a good weekend, sir. :)   

We had something like that in NY.  Started out as just milk, but then they added basic groceries, beer, conveniences (batteries etc) and ice cream.  They called it Dairy Barn.  I'm actually surprised these haven't caught on in other places; for parents with young kids, for example, they'd be ideal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billvon said:

We had something like that in NY.  Started out as just milk, but then they added basic groceries, beer, conveniences (batteries etc) and ice cream.  They called it Dairy Barn.  I'm actually surprised these haven't caught on in other places; for parents with young kids, for example, they'd be ideal.

Hi Bill,

Where I live most of the major grocery stores offer just about that.  You go on-line & order what you want,* later they text you that your order is available, you go to the grocery story, drive in & they load the groceries into your car.**  Both of my kids ( with growing families ) often do this.

Jerry Baumchen

* Of course, this takes away the fun of fondling the tomatoes to see just which ones you want.

** My understanding is that this has about a $5.00 surcharge for the convience.

Edited by JerryBaumchen

On 11/16/2021 at 11:36 AM, gowlerk said:

Wine snobs are even worse than whiskey snobs. Ethyl alcohol is poison and it tastes like poison for a good reason. 

I guess I'm a wine snob. But I figure I have only one life to ruin with alcohol and I'm not going to do it drinking plonk.

7 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

Where I live most of the major grocery stores offer just about that.  You go on-line & order what you want,* later they text you that your order is available, you go to the grocery story, drive in & they load the groceries into your car.** 

Oh yeah, they have that here too.  I just miss being able to pull up and peer around inside the store and say "a gallon of milk - a six of Molson's - two loaves of bread - a box of those chocolate donuts - some of those macintosh apples" etc etc.  (There was about a one year window when I could drive before I went away to college when I was sent on Dairy Barn runs by the parents.)

On 11/17/2021 at 11:00 PM, billvon said:

a six of Molson's

Bill,

From a brief meeting at Eloy years ago to reading your posts here, I’ve had nothing but the upmost respect for you…please don’t ruin that by telling you’re a fan of Molson.