SkyMako

Is this dangerous?

Parachutist, front cover, June 2015. New guy trying to learn. This cover photo seems to show a swooper with a pull-up cord on his right hip, right where he would be reaching to get his bottom-of-container deployment handle. Is that a good idea? Seems like you could get the pilot chute wrapped up in or snagged on that pull-up cord... And I presume he un-did the chest strap after opening...

Trying this inline attachment thingee...
[inline pondswoop.jpg]

jerolim

I think that this is part of removable slider.

I'm not a swooper, but given that there's no slider above, you're probably right.

Sliders are used to control the opening sequence when the canopy's deployed, but they do somewhat hold the lines in a bit, restricting the full unfettered flight of the canopy, so swoopers use removable slider set-ups.

dqpacker

Lol. I don't think that's a pull-up cord. Looks like glow stick rope. They most likely let out after deployment.

I'm gonna second this suggestion. There's no way that's a pullup cord at the airspeed that canopy appears to be going.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

:D I was diving hard towards a formation once. Felt something touch my arm. Looked down and a pull up cord was draped across my arm. Must have come out of someone's pocket
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .