4 4
brenthutch

Meanwhile in the Arctic

4 minutes ago, olofscience said:

I said global anomaly of 1.10.

...you do know what a global anomaly is, right? So for example if 2021 was at 1.10, then being within 0.01C of that means 1.09 to 1.11.

So...can you answer the question now?

Yes, 2022 will be colder than 2015 or 2016. :x

Just now, olofscience said:

Still too vague :rofl: becoming quite obvious that you don't know what you're talking about isn't it?

I have made more than a half a dozen predictions for 2022.  Why don’t you sack up and make some predictions of your own or at the very least contradict some of mine (if you can)

(edited)
4 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I have made more than a half a dozen predictions for 2022.  Why don’t you sack up and make some predictions of your own or at the very least contradict some of mine (if you can)

You made half a dozen negatives against strawmen arguments, not predictions :rofl: exactly the point of why I was trying to get you to make an actual, specific prediction and you (predictably) avoided.

Me "contradicting" them means falling for your strawman arguments, no thanks ;P

Edited by olofscience

Unfortunately there are too many Brents in the US. It looks as if BBB is dead. Too many Americans are more interested in obstruction rather than shovel in the ground solutions.

"So much for the myriad claims about going “beyond coal.” According to a new report from the Rhodium Group, U.S. coal consumption jumped by 17 percent last year compared to 2020 levels. That’s a huge increase, which Rhodium says was “largely driven by a run-up in natural gas prices.” Rather than burn gas, which averaged about $4.93 per million Btu last year — more than two times the price in 2020 — many electricity producers chose to burn coal instead.

The surge in domestic coal use is significant for two reasons. First, it proves again that coal remains an essential fuel for electricity producers both here in the U.S. and around the world. Second, it shows that the Biden administration’s pledge to decarbonize the electric grid by 2035 is little more than wishful thinking."

Canada is phasing out coal use and exports by 2030.

My prediction is a continued rise in temperatures, drought and fires. Brent and his ilk still peddling the denial line as the west continues to burn. As the US SE continues to flood. Get ready for a new flood of immigration from central America. As drought devastates central America.

16 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

My prediction is a continued rise in temperatures, drought and fires. Brent and his ilk still peddling the denial line as the west continues to burn. As the US SE continues to flood. Get ready for a new flood of immigration from central America. As drought devastates central America.

That works for the right as well.  They can sell the fear of the brown immigrants and parlay that into political power.  Fear sells.

8 hours ago, billvon said:

That works for the right as well.  They can sell the fear of the brown immigrants and parlay that into political power.  Fear sells.

I'm pro immigration. Canada will not meet any greenhouse gas emissions even with the elimination of coal. IMO each immigrant is another equal user of power, gas, etc. At least the US policy of almost no immigration is limiting that factor. The US grew at .1% last year. The lowest since the founding of America.

Thats likely a good reason why there are serious job vacancies in many segments of the labor market. Perhaps if a Big Mack hits $10 at the local Walmart the great unwashed right voter will let a few Brown people in.

8 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Unfortunately there are too many Brents in the US. It looks as if BBB is dead. Too many Americans are more interested in obstruction rather than shovel in the ground solutions.

"So much for the myriad claims about going “beyond coal.” According to a new report from the Rhodium Group, U.S. coal consumption jumped by 17 percent last year compared to 2020 levels. That’s a huge increase, 

Looks like Phil1111 has taken the “red pill” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill 

Now I’m waiting for BillV and Olof to pop a blue one and tell us the reason we are burning so much coal is because solar is more scalable and less expensive.

(BTW the bipartisan infrastructure bill IS putting shovels into the ground.  BBB was going to put shovels into the bank accounts of Americans)

5 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

No matter, I think he's right that the desire for cheap immigrant labor will prevail over principals eventually. 

Maybe one solution would be to have immigrants sign a contract to work for an employer for a year where the employer has to pay all their bills and take care of their housing. 

I came to the US as an immigrant, invited by the US Department of Energy which paid my bills until I got settled.  However, being a blond haired blue eyed white guy, no-one ever hassled me.  Well, almost no-one, there was this drunk biker from North Platte who wanted to "burn the Limey" at a Custer State Park campsite, but the park police took care of him.

3 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Maybe one solution would be to have immigrants sign a contract to work for an employer for a year where the employer has to pay all their bills and take care of their housing. 

I'd be for that, as long as I could deduct it from their pay. Also a means test for some seems reasonable. The thing is that all ya'all who based your retirements on your kids being taxed are going to need someone else's kids adding to the pot. I'm thinking that the color of those kids will wane in importance.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Sure, you could just adopt the UAE model. Then rebrand it as "The Great Society". Just what you need, another class of non-citizens. Steven Miller style.

Edited by gowlerk

1 minute ago, kallend said:

I came to the US as an immigrant, invited by the US Department of Energy which paid my bills until I got settled.  However, being a blond haired blue eyed white guy, no-one ever hassled me.  Well, almost no-one, there was this drunk biker from North Platte who wanted to "burn the Limey" at a Custer State Park campsite, but the park police took care of him.

Did being a double-doozey genius from Oxford help?

7 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Walmarts in Canada often have McDonalds stores in them. Is that not a thing for you?

The local Walmart has a Subway in it, and the local Kroger (aka "King Soopers") has a Starbucks in it, but I don't think I've seen a McDonalds in a large store.

(edited)
48 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

?

19 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Walmarts in Canada often have McDonalds stores in them. Is that not a thing for you?

Why are McDonald’s restaurants leaving Walmart stores? My bad. I guess its been a while since i was at a Walmart. I made the reference to better represent the great unwashed average GOP voter.

Edited by Phil1111