4 4
brenthutch

Meanwhile in the Arctic

6 minutes ago, billvon said:

Cool that his video opens with the words "wasting all my time."

Show of hands: Who thinks he had permission to use "The Cars" song "Just What I Needed" in his show? (And the other song that sounded like Bob Marley.)

37 minutes ago, ryoder said:
46 minutes ago, billvon said:

Cool that his video opens with the words "wasting all my time."

Show of hands: Who thinks he had permission to use "The Cars" song "Just What I Needed" in his show?

I had a feeling you'd bring this up, lol.  Honestly I didn't even make it past that part.

He'd likely claim that it's fair use, but I don't think that qualifies - unless maybe he'd argue that it's editorial usage against liberals?

15 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I had a feeling you'd bring this up, lol.  Honestly I didn't even make it past that part.

He'd likely claim that it's fair use, but I don't think that qualifies - unless maybe he'd argue that it's editorial usage against liberals?

He needs a "synchronization license" unless it is Fair Use, which is defined as:

Fair use is the right to copy a portion of a copyrighted work without permission because your use is for a limited purpose, such as for educational use in a classroom or to comment upon, criticize, or parody the work being sampled.

Source: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/permission-sampled-music-sample-clearance-30165.html

Now if I was a lawyer representing him, my best defense would be to argue that Alex Jones is a parody of a conservative, and hope the court would buy that.

As a sort of study in right wing disinformation consider this headline from Hot Air, a conservative political website:

Meteorologist: Biden linking tornados to climate change is "utter insanity"

Let's just look at the headline.  (The story is even worse.)

First off, they did talk to a meteorologist.  So that's accurate.

Next they talk about Biden.  But the meteorologist was not talking about Biden in the article; he was talking about the head of FEMA who said that more tornadoes are "the new normal."  So there's lie #1.

Next they claim he said "utter insanity."  He never said that.  (He did say "insanity.") So that's lie #2.

They also buttress their claims by saying that TWO meteorologists said something similar.  The second "meteorologist" is Chris Martz, who is a . . . . college freshman in meterology.  So lie #3.

What happens next is that a right wing victim of that misinformation posts "Biden claims that climate change causes tornadoes even though meteorologists say it's 'utter insanity!' "  And before a rational argument can even begin, they are starting with three lies. So any discussion first has to wade through that, with the usual "liberal media, attacking the messenger blah blah" misdirection as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Michelle Malkin is to the right, what Bonanno is to the left. Extreme.

Yep.  Unfortunately, what such extremists put out often forms the basis of arguments (for both sides.) "Al Gore said we'd all be dead by now!"  Etc etc.  So first you have to correct their false assumptions before you can even have a discussion - and many people just don't bother, because they know how such discussions end (and how often fruitless they are.) 

I've recently had a few discussions on Facebook where people start out with such a false assumption.  I'll explain why the statement their argument is based on is false, and at least three times the other person said "well, maybe that original statement was wrong and maybe it's not, but my conclusion is still valid."  Can't go much further with such a discussion.

2 hours ago, billvon said:

Yep.  Unfortunately, what such extremists put out often forms the basis of arguments (for both sides.) "Al Gore said we'd all be dead by now!"  Etc etc.  So first you have to correct their false assumptions before you can even have a discussion - and many people just don't bother, because they know how such discussions end (and how often fruitless they are.) 

I've recently had a few discussions on Facebook where people start out with such a false assumption.  I'll explain why the statement their argument is based on is false, and at least three times the other person said "well, maybe that original statement was wrong and maybe it's not, but my conclusion is still valid."  Can't go much further with such a discussion.

Serves you right for arguing with feelings.

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Can't go much further with such a discussion.

I feel you, Bill. Imagine being on the "Right" and having discussions with my own about Gun Control, AGW and vaccines. It's like I've got leprosy, not common sense. 

Facebook - not for me. Even my conservative friends have told me not to get on there, "Your head would explode." 

2 minutes ago, kallend said:

Meanwhile in Chicago:

CHICAGO - We have broken the record for the latest date for the first measurable (.1" or more) snow. Dec. 20 was the previous record.

Looks like we won't get any snow for at least another 10 days.

Denver broke an 87yo record for the same this year:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/colorado/articles/2021-12-10/denver-sees-first-snowfall-after-breaking-87-year-old-record

On 12/14/2021 at 12:08 PM, kallend said:

30 years ago this glacier on South Georgia reached all the way to the ocean.

(A few penguins photo-bombed the picture).

IMG_0998.JPG

Be honest, you were thinking about Brent on your vacation, weren't you?  I bet you just couldn't wait to get home to show him!

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

Be honest, you were thinking about Brent on your vacation, weren't you?  I bet you just couldn't wait to get home to show him!

As one of only 2 people on my "ignore" list, I really don't think of him any more.  But I like penguins (except for the guano).

21 hours ago, kallend said:

Meanwhile in Chicago:

CHICAGO - We have broken the record for the latest date for the first measurable (.1" or more) snow. Dec. 20 was the previous record.

Looks like we won't get any snow for at least another 10 days.

“The average date, says Aigner, citing the Austrian Weather Service, is December 14th. But this year continuous snow cover came 17 days earlier!”

Looks like Austria got your snow, then again it could be Mount Kilimanjaro 

“Constituting the highest mountain in Africa, Mount Kilimanjaro is slowly building up its snow cover, allaying the fears of prominent scientists who had predicted witnessing the eminence lose its famous white hat. The drifts are slowly thickening on the top point of this summit, giving new hopes to Mount Kilimanjaro environmental watchdogs and tourists that the peak may not lose its beautiful snowy cap, as scientific experts have long been warning.“

10 hours ago, brenthutch said:

...“Constituting the highest mountain in Africa, Mount Kilimanjaro is slowly building up its snow cover, allaying the fears of prominent scientists who had predicted witnessing the eminence lose its famous white hat. The drifts are slowly thickening on the top point of this summit, giving new hopes to Mount Kilimanjaro environmental watchdogs and tourists that the peak may not lose its beautiful snowy cap, as scientific experts have long been warning.“

Mt. Kilimanjaro is at the Epicenter of Climate Change "In recent years the impact of climate change on the mountain has become increasingly evident.

The once-famous snows of Kilimanjaro have been melting at an alarming rate, and the glacier that lined its volcanic crater has shrunken to just a shadow of its former self. In fact, climatologists now say that the glacier will likely be completely gone by 2033, limiting the amount of freshwater available to the local Tanzanians living long Kili’s base."

Climate change and Kilimanjaro "since 1989, when there were 3.3 square kilometres, there has been a decline of 33%. At that rate, say the experts, Kili will be completely ice-free within the next decade or two.‘We found that the summit of the ice fields has lowered by at least 17 metres since 1962,’ said Professor Lonnie Thompson of Ohio State University. ‘That’s an average loss of about a half-metre (a foot and a half) in height each year."

Troll, troll, troll, your boat gently down the stream. Unfortunately that stream won't be flowing down Kili to the villages below for much longer.

3 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

The once-famous snows of Kilimanjaro have been melting at an alarming rate

Yep.  From PNAS:

=============
The dramatic loss of Kilimanjaro's ice cover has attracted global attention. The three remaining ice fields on the plateau and the slopes are both shrinking laterally and rapidly thinning. Summit ice cover (areal extent) decreased ≈1% per year from 1912 to 1953 and ≈2.5% per year from 1989 to 2007. Of the ice cover present in 1912, 85% has disappeared and 26% of that present in 2000 is now gone. . . . If current climatological conditions are sustained, the ice fields atop Kilimanjaro and on its flanks will likely disappear within several decades.
=============

https://www.pnas.org/content/106/47/19770