4 4
brenthutch

Meanwhile in the Arctic

image.png.6f6f4485184651f62a01c3df8eefc70d.png

“The summer melt season has come to a modest end. The summer of 2021 was relatively cool compared to the most recent years and September extent was the highest since 2014”

It would seem the only thing melting down are the predictions of an ice fee Arctic.

Edited by brenthutch

45 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Mods, can we put a disclaimer on the troll's posts?

“Warning! Reading the contents of this post may result in a much needed reality check and cause and uncomfortable shrinking of ones left wing “safe space””

How’s that?

(edited)
56 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

Just add him to your ignore list. It does wonders to increase the general intelligence of what you read here.

Big oil has conducted a climate change disinformation campaign for decades. Similar to what tobacco did for the last 40 years. Finally congress and the courts held them to account. Now its the turn of big oil. Hearings in congress will start today into the lies and disinformation of big oil regarding climate change. Everyone here knows of someone who has swallowed the hook of the big oil lie.

"Today is a day of history-making climate drama in Washington. At the Capitol Hill end of Pennsylvania Avenue, an unprecedented event: the CEOs of four of the world’s biggest private oil companies are summoned to testify under oath to Congress about their companies’ decades of lying about the lethal dangers their products pose....

As voluminous investigative reporting dating back to 2015 has documented, ExxonMobil, Shell, BP and Chevron have known since the 1980s at the latest that burning oil, gas and coal would overheat the planet and imperil civilization; their own scientists told them so. They did it anyway."

How long will it be before plaintiffs bring multi-trillion dollar claims against the industry for these lies and campaigns to kill. Campaigns to destroy the environment. All to line the pockets of those same executives. Together with their shareholders whose greed was wanton.

From the same story "The companies not only hid their knowledge about what was coming, they spent millions of dollars telling the public that global warming wasn’t real. Indeed, 31% of Americans still don’t accept that climate change is happening, according to a new poll commissioned by the Guardian, Vice News and Covering Climate Now. "

Where climate change deniers live.

Edited by Phil1111

Some people like to play dodgeball. There’s no thought to the previous ball, or any future — it’s only the current one that matters. That works in some games, but even in games and sports, the player who thinks about patterns and strategy usually ends up ahead. 
Wendy P. 

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

left wing “safe space””

Why would I consider a troll saying "everything is fine" as shrinking my safe space?

The disclaimer should be: Warning: this poster has a history of misrepresenting articles, even if they directly contradict his point, inability to understand titles, presenting fake data as well as extremely biased sources.

4 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Why would I consider a troll saying "everything is fine" as shrinking my safe space?

The disclaimer should be: Warning: this poster has a history of misrepresenting articles, even if they directly contradict his point, inability to understand titles, presenting fake data as well as extremely biased sources.

The cure for trolls is ignoring them. Nothing else is effective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kallend said:

I don't read troll posts, but I suspect the troll is once again confusing short term fluctuations with long term trends.

Remember "There's only one problem with climate change - it ended in 1998!"  If I recall correctly, RushMC ran with that for something like 10 years.

And today 1998 isn't even in the top 10 warmest years any more; it's a relic of bygone colder times.  How times change.

Perhaps BH could just edit that headline to "There's only one problem with climate change - it ended in 2016!" and give it another spin?

Rank/Year/Temp C/Temp F

1 2016 1.00 1.80
2 2020 0.98 1.76
3 2019 0.95 1.71
4 2015 0.93 1.67
5 2017 0.91 1.64
6 2018 0.83 1.49
7 2014 0.74 1.33
8 2010 0.72 1.30
9 2013 0.68 1.22
10 2005 0.67 1.21

(edited)
3 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

The cure for trolls is ignoring them. Nothing else is effective.

I ignored the troll's bogus argument, I'm just here asking for a disclaimer to be attached to his posts like it was done for another poster regarding Covid-19.

Edited by olofscience

10 minutes ago, olofscience said:

I ignored the troll's bogus argument, I'm just here asking for a disclaimer to be attached to his posts like it was done for another poster regarding Covid-19.

That's not an unreasonable request, but since no one is going to die if they believe his nonsense, I think the issue is less pressing.

And it's not like anyone here is unaware of his level of accuracy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, billvon said:

That's not an unreasonable request, but since no one is going to die if they believe his nonsense, I think the issue is less pressing.

What was inaccurate?  I took it right off of the National Snow and Ice Data Center.  Even Kalend’s graph shows no negative trend for the last 15 years.

(edited)
48 minutes ago, billvon said:

I'd count those who die in wildfires, heatwaves, etc. as victims.

Covid-19 is just much more immediate. And while the antivaxxers *mostly* don't affect the death rate of the vaccinated, it's much more difficult to isolate from the effects of climate change.

(mostly, because they still do - by taking up precious ICU beds, breakthrough cases, etc)

Edited by olofscience

Meanwhile in the Antarctic:

Just got back from 3 weeks in the Antarctic and far south Atlantic.  Saw for myself the sad state of many formerly huge glaciers, and the freshwater running off the melting glaciers freezing into sea-ice.  The sea-ice area extent in the Antarctic is not shrinking like in the Arctic because this fresh runoff freezes more easily than the salty southern ocean.  However, the resulting sea ice is a very thin layer.  

Have lots of pictures of penguins and seals, should anyone be interested,

(36 hours traveling to get back to Chicago - it's a long way).

• Like 4

13 hours ago, kallend said:

Meanwhile in the Antarctic:..

Have lots of pictures of penguins and seals, should anyone be interested,

(36 hours traveling to get back to Chicago - it's a long way).

It seems to me that it all warrants a political discussion thread here because Brent will be along to deny it all. W/o pictures it never happened.

27 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

It seems to me that it all warrants a political discussion thread here because Brent will be along to deny it all. W/o pictures it never happened.

The shills for the fossil fuel industry have promoted the Antarctic sea ice extent as "evidence" against climate change.  They conveniently omit to mention that this is largely due to the run-off from melting glaciers freezing into a very thin layer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, airdvr said:
9 hours ago, Coreece said:

If deadly hurricanes ripping through the Midwest in December isn't a testament for climate change, the I don't know what is.

Not like it's never happened before.

https://www.ustornadoes.com/2012/12/01/u-s-tornadoes-the-month-of-december-by-the-numbers/

Oooh, I get to play alarmist!  (downs a shot with dxm)

From your article:

dec-avg-torn1991-2010.gif

In the last 48 hours alone there have been 36 tornadoes reported, 16 of which were in KT and TN.  According to the other graph illustrating tornadoes by state,  KT and TN had a combined total of about 30 tornadoes over that 60+ years, if I'm ready it correctly.

BTW, it was Biden who called it a hurricane on TV last night.  ; )

Edited by Coreece

13 hours ago, Coreece said:

Oooh, I get to play alarmist!  (downs a shot with dxm)

From your article:

dec-avg-torn1991-2010.gif

In the last 48 hours alone there have been 36 tornadoes reported, 16 of which were in KT and TN.  According to the other graph illustrating tornadoes by state,  KT and TN had a combined total of about 30 tornadoes over that 60+ years, if I'm ready it correctly.

BTW, it was Biden who called it a hurricane on TV last night.  ; )

20 years maybe.