1 1
brenthutch

Black Gold

https://theconversation.com/the-coal-price-has-skyrocketed-in-2021-what-does-it-mean-for-net-zero-166117

“absent from mainstream news headlines, was the steady ascent of coal prices, past US$100 (£72) per metric tonne in June and then past US$130 in mid-July to over US$170 today. This is almost four times the price last September. 

The rise in prices can be attributed squarely to a resurgence of demand after the depths of the pandemic – especially in emerging Asian markets such as China and India, but also in Japan, South Korea, Europe and the US. Electricity demand, which remains closely linked to coal, is expected to have increased by 5% across 2021 and a further 4% in 2022.”

It looks as if the fossil fuel industry will have to change its motto from “drill baby drill” to “dig baby dig”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/judeclemente/2021/10/27/king-coal-roars-back/?sh=c821fb0647c7&mc_cid=db8e51ebb5&mc_eid=0b1369f9f8

“President Biden’s energy-climate policies have apparently been more friendly to coal than those of President Trump. 

New federal data has U.S. coal-fired power generation leaping 22% in 2021 to 945 terawatt-hours - the first annual increase for coal since 2014. 

Coal will generate nearly a quarter of U.S. electricity this year, with competitor natural gas prices doubling since June to over $6.00. 

The demand boom has U.S. coal companies now offering miners six-figure salaries.”

Carbon neutral in eight years?  I don’t think so.9_9

26 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/judeclemente/2021/10/27/king-coal-roars-back/?sh=c821fb0647c7&mc_cid=db8e51ebb5&mc_eid=0b1369f9f8

“President Biden’s energy-climate policies have apparently been more friendly to coal than those of President Trump. 

New federal data has U.S. coal-fired power generation leaping 22% in 2021 to 945 terawatt-hours - the first annual increase for coal since 2014. 

Coal will generate nearly a quarter of U.S. electricity this year, with competitor natural gas prices doubling since June to over $6.00. 

The demand boom has U.S. coal companies now offering miners six-figure salaries.”

Carbon neutral in eight years?  I don’t think so.9_9

US coal consumption decreased by 18.7 percent in 2020.

https://www.eia.gov/coal/annual/

If you do a little math you can figure out where we stand in 2021 as compared with 2019.

6 hours ago, olofscience said:

That's simply asking way, way too much of brent :rofl:

(0.813 x 1.22 = 0.99186)

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/chinas-daily-coal-output-near-annual-high-govt-continues-crackdown-2021-11-04/

“China's daily coal output hit 11.2 million tonnes on Nov. 3, rising around 1 million tonnes from early October, close to a record high this year amid a raft of measures to ramp up production”

I guess China needs all of this coal to make the electric cars we will all be driving in four years (according to you anyway).

(edited)
18 hours ago, brenthutch said:

“President Biden’s energy-climate policies have apparently been more friendly to coal than those of President Trump. "

Given that Biden's legislative agenda is basically hostage to a coal executive (Joe Manchin) from the largest coal producing state (West Virginia), that makes sense.  If the democrats are openly anti-coal, they are going to lose their entire program by alienating the key swing voter in their caucus.

Edited by TomAiello
remove my post from the quote box
  • Like 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Yup. Brent was the same guy who claimed that if something went down by 30% and then went up by 32% you are ahead.

The main point I was making (correctly as it turns out) was the recession was over by the fall of 2020 while Kallend insisted it wasn’t.  I was right, he was wrong. The rest is just counting angels dancing on the head of a pin

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

The main point I was making (correctly as it turns out) was the recession was over by the fall of 2020 while Kallend insisted it wasn’t.  I was right, he was wrong. The rest is just counting angels dancing on the head of a pin

So your main guess was right but all your reasoning behind it was wrong, so that should be celebrated.....

4 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

So your main guess was right but all your reasoning behind it was wrong, so that should be celebrated.....

My reasoning was that two consecutive quarters of economic growth signaled the end of the recession.  As it turned out my reasoning was sound.

14 hours ago, brenthutch said:

My reasoning was that two consecutive quarters of economic growth signaled the end of the recession.

You started the conversation saying there was no recession. How does something end that never was? I have copied it all before. But like a good Trumpian you will repeat the lie as often as you can.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

You started the conversation saying there was no recession. How does something end that never was?

You're assuming there is a logical train of reasoning here?  His criteria for posting was that his post annoyed you and got you to respond, so in his eyes it was successful.

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

You started the conversation saying there was no recession. How does something end that never was? I have copied it all before. But like a good Trumpian you will repeat the lie as often as you can.

The start of this was when I said our lower monthly CO2 emissions were mostly due to our switch from coal to natural gas.  Another poster claimed it was because we were in a recession.  I pointed out that the preceding quarter was one of explosive growth and that we were on track for additional growth in Q4 and that we were no longer in a recession.  A few months later the NBER confirmed my assessment.  I know it is a hard pill for your guys to swallow, so I expect you to continue to grasp at straws.

That wasn't quite the start of the thread, nor quite what went down.

But this gem from you, from that same thread, certainly shows your incredible scientific mind:

You seem to have the same difficulty with math as Kallend does, so let me explain, third  quarter GDP grew at 33.1% second quarter GDP decreased by 31.4%.  When netted against each other it comes out to + 1.7%.  In other words third quarter growth more than made up for second quarter contraction.

29 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

That wasn't quite the start of the thread, nor quite what went down.

But this gem from you, from that same thread, certainly shows your incredible scientific mind:

Scotch and math don’t mix.

BTW when do YOU think the recession ended?

56 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

I am so tempted to show the math on that, but then figured - what will it accomplish?  I mean, he's not going to learn anything from it, and everyone else already understands why that's so wrong.

• Like 2