BleuCiel

Funny Skydiving Nicknames

Let's hear some funny skydiving nicknames, and how they came to be.

For example, we had one gal fly into power lines. Fortunately she escaped unhurt, and the only ordeal was clinging to a pole for about 30 minutes while waiting for a bucket truck to arrive to get her down.

Her nickname thereafter: "Sparky"

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... i.e., my first DZ back in the 70's... there were these 2 girls, I think they were friends, who were student jumpers. Pretty close together in time, one of them pulled really really low...and lived. The other one no-pulled for whatever reason, and her trusty (!) Sentinel Mark-1 popped her reserve... and she lived. Thereafter, they were called "Low-Pull and No-Pull".

There was this heavy set newbie who used to jump and pack in sweat pants, displaying full on plumber's ass for everyone in the hangar to enjoy. Someone started calling him BC for butt crack. When he asked what his cool skydiving nickname meant, he was told "Before Cessna". He really enjoyed having such a cool skydiving nickname. It was years before he found out the truth and even then he still enjoyed his cool skydiving nickname.

I've known two guys nicknamed Notso: Wright, and Bright.

And the guy who poured gasoline on a campfire to make it blaze real good was known forever after as the singing campfire (before my time, but he survived...)

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Long ago I think there was a thread on the subject if someone wants to search for the link.

One individual bound to get mentioned is TK Hayes, a well known jumper & DZ manager. TK stands for Tent Killer.

I've also known a "Crash", a "Ditch", and a "Thumper".

But often one doesn't actually know the back stories....

My wife and I both did a tandem, both on the same load. When we landed I was so excited, gave her a big hug, and told her this is what I want to learn to do!!!!!!!!!!! She looked at the motley crew loading on the plane for the next jump, turned and looked me straight in the eyes, and just said "dumbass."
It stuck!!! Every saturday morning she says, "dumbass, you skydiving today?" Before I leave the house she says, "dumbass, what time you going to be home?"
I could just go on and on but the bottom line is......."dumbass must be my skydiving nickname."

We've had a couple of ones for our pilots:

One that had an issue with his radioset causing it to remain on transmit all the way on the descent on an active commercial airport... while singing some awfull song. To no surprise he was named "Hotmic". Then there was "Fuel cap" who forgot to close the fuel cap before take off. And "Dip stick" who lost his fuel dip stick into the fuel tank.

wolfriverjoe

Dead Mike and Mad John.

Bad Andy and Punk. (those two are friends of mine).

Dead Mike Vederman... Holy shit! I was there when he frapped on the runway at Quincy. We all thought he was a goner and he did stop breathing in the ambulance then all of a sudden started seizing or something, and the crew hightailed it to the hospital. I don't know how many surgeries he had to fix up his face but goddamn it was a lot! B|

He also had a website www.deadmike.com not sure if its still up but he chronicled his journey through the surgeries and rehab, and even created his own game "Land Dead Mike" where you run a bed out for him to land on. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

There's a guy nicknamed "Demo". These days he's a darned good skydiver, so most people assume the name means he does a lot of "demonstration" jumps. But those of us who have been around him a while, remember that when he was a newbie, he got that nickname as short for "demolish", because that's what he did to formations upon which he tried to dock.

Hey! We don't have to limit these stories to just people. You can do it for dropzone dogs and cats too.

One jumper would bring her dog out named "Flare". She had to be careful not to call out loudly for the dog when students were on final approach to land, or the students could believe the shout to be a command to start their landing flare, at an inappropriate time...

BillyVance

Dead Mike Vederman... Holy shit! I was there when he frapped on the runway at Quincy. We all thought he was a goner and he did stop breathing in the ambulance then all of a sudden started seizing or something, and the crew hightailed it to the hospital. I don't know how many surgeries he had to fix up his face but goddamn it was a lot! B|

He also had a website www.deadmike.com not sure if its still up but he chronicled his journey through the surgeries and rehab, and even created his own game "Land Dead Mike" where you run a bed out for him to land on. :D

Dead Mike is a great friend and was a jumper at my drop zone when that incident happened. Tough sum' bitch to make it through all that.

Mike still gets in the air today, although I think the daily pain limits his quantity. I see him regularly at Spaceland and he has a niece who is an avid new jumper here too.

To this day all the old schoolers know him as "Dead Mike" and I have been known to explain his nickname to the curious while embedding a message about canopy collisions. Mike was taken out by a guy yanking a hook turn over the tarmac and he impacted from 80 or so feet in a "save myself" fetal tuck face first.

Untold number of surgeries, facial reconstruction, and life-long pain. Mike is hangin' in there and maintains his clever sense of humor on display for all.

Here's to Dead Mike.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX