jumpwally

M-28 Skytruck

There are some 2 or 3 year old videos of Skytruck exits posted by Polish civilian skydivers. Skytruck tail ramplooks like a narrower version of a Shorts Skyvan (my all time favourite jump-plane.)
American sneaky-pesky Special Forces soldiers fly a few Skytrucks, but they don't like to publish video.

There was one at the World Free Fall Convention one year. I think the pilots had challenged Mike Mullins to see which one could climb faster, the skytruck or Mike's King Air. He of course, turned them down.

Now I don't remember if it really happened or if it was the actual skytruck, but the word I heard was it was running down the runway about to take off, and then Mike blew right by it in his King Air and climbed like a bat out of hell. :ph34r:

Sounds about right.
Mullins is too proud to let anyone beat him to altitude.
Skytrucks have so much excess power, that if an engine quits the pilot should immediately reduce power - on the good engine - before as symmetrical thrust exceeds the rudder authority.

I jumped the skytruck at WFFC the year it was there (late 1990's). The owner gave away a few loads for free, and me and 9 of my friends were lucky enough to grab some slots.

It was a real climber...the floor was slippery and when the plane took off the climb angle was so steep that all of the jumpers slid to the tail and were all piled up by the tailgate. I have lots of jumps out of Mullins king air , but I think the skytruck would have given it a run for its money...

My friend who is a DZO took home a promotional video on VHS tape that went through its attributes and performance stats. If I recall correctly, the price tag at the time was 2 million...before adding avionics and other extras.

Trafficdiver

***Is Mullins' king air still in service?

Yes. http://www.skydivekingair.com

I jumped it in May and it's a beast. 7 minutes to 14.5 K. does he still " help " everyone up off the floor with a little zero g at exit exit exit! :DB|
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

******Is Mullins' king air still in service?

Yes. http://www.skydivekingair.com

I jumped it in May and it's a beast. 7 minutes to 14.5 K. does he still " help " everyone up off the floor with a little zero g at exit exit exit! :DB|

Yes and I didn't know it was coming so I started whooping and yelling as I floated up.

German Army is about to rent some of these ..
http://augengeradeaus.net/index.php?s=Skytruck

rough translation: Army intends to rent some of these from a german contractor, who is about to buy some of them.
Flightcosts are cheaper than using a Transall (surprise!)
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well