reyno_gr

Gear Checks

I arrived at the DZ yesterday and immediately put my name on the manifest. About 5 minutes before the kit up call I did a comprehensive check of my rig (first jump of the day). I noticed from the positioning of the closing flaps that the closing loop was a longer than I recalled when I packed it. I tested the pins friction in the loop and having satisfied myself it was okay thought I'd better get a second opinion from a member of the DZ staff. They checked the friction too, made sure the bridle was safely stowed and having confirmed that I was flat flying suggested it would be okay, but would need adjusting on the next jump. With that I put my gear on and had an uneventful jump.
Back in the shed I went to adjust the length of the clothing loop and discovered the knot had slipped to the very end of the cord (hence the extended length). The knot was also very easy to undo.
A great recipe for a Horse Shoe malfunction.:S
So what did I learn?
1. Check the entire closing loop, not just the loop where the pins goes.
2. If someone else puts a new loop in for you double check their choice of knot.
3. The most important lesson of all. Check your kit BEFORE manifesting, so you won't make bad calls because you don't want to miss the load.
My lesson's learnt, hope this might make others think too.
Blue Skies.

I noticed from the positioning of the closing flaps that the closing loop was a longer than I recalled when I packed it.

Thanks for the reminder, glad it came out OK.

Reminds me of the first time I was looking at a plane that had gone crunch... The skin was only slightly wrinkled, but a tear-down showed major damage... With this type of gear, the small changes on the outside that don't make sense may mean more important concerns on the inside.

Blue skies,
Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...