1 1
RonD1120

Moon Landing

17 hours ago, wmw999 said:

I’m interested in both. But I’m also a longtime veteran of the space program, and as such I’m quite convinced that we did, in fact, go to the moon. I wasn’t involved then obviously, but I worked with a lot of people who were. And, to a man (all the ones I knew were), they helped put men on the moon, some participating in the real-time support of the computer systems. 
Wendy P. 

Is it true, from the video, that all the Apollo missions data is lost, gone, destroyed?

(edited)
12 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Is it true, from the video, that all the Apollo missions data is lost, gone, destroyed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11_missing_tapes

It appears that some tapes from one (the first landing) of the mission were lost. That hardly seems to prove anything considering the number of landings that followed.

Edited by gowlerk

13 hours ago, billvon said:

In a related story:

Rob Skiba is a flat Earther and anti-vaxxer.  He has videos proving that the Earth is flat; he does this by measuring the sun as it sets.  (It gets smaller, you see, which proves the Earth is flat.)  He also thinks that the COVID-19 vaccine will rewrite your DNA, and calls people who wears masks "embarrassments."

He is currently in the hospital due to COVID-19 on a ventilator.  He will likely not survive.

It would be interesting to see how often a belief in something like flat-Eartherism (or the Apollo "hoax", or "Trump really won" or whatever) leads to more deadly beliefs like the various anti-vax conspiracy theories.  I have a feeling that most people who have a tendency towards conspiracies find flat-Eartherism a funny, clever niche thing at first.  But after a while they get invested in it (Rob actually does talks on it) and they start to really believe in the conspiracy theory.  And for 99% of the silly conspiracy theories out there it doesn't matter; who cares if you're a flat Earther?  You're not going to fall off the edge.

But then a pandemic comes along and what seems like a fun, clever new conspiracy theory ends up killing the people who believe in it.  Their "training wheels" conspiracy theories trained them to be able to swallow whole conspiracies without a bit of skepticism or concern for what that belief would do to them (and their loved ones.)   I  wish there was a way for people to learn the reality behind their decisions before they have to suffer through a crippling disease - or death.

This whole post can be summed up by one word:

Darwin.

14 hours ago, billvon said:

In a related story:...  I  wish there was a way for people to learn the reality behind their decisions before they have to suffer through a crippling disease - or death.

Like hook turns or downwind landings.

51 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

This whole post can be summed up by one word:

Darwin.

I'm thinking a feel good educational story.

15 hours ago, billvon said:

In a related story:

Rob Skiba is a flat Earther and anti-vaxxer.  He has videos proving that the Earth is flat; he does this by measuring the sun as it sets.  (It gets smaller, you see, which proves the Earth is flat.)  He also thinks that the COVID-19 vaccine will rewrite your DNA, and calls people who wears masks "embarrassments."

He is currently in the hospital due to COVID-19 on a ventilator.  He will likely not survive.

It would be interesting to see how often a belief in something like flat-Eartherism (or the Apollo "hoax", or "Trump really won" or whatever) leads to more deadly beliefs like the various anti-vax conspiracy theories.  I have a feeling that most people who have a tendency towards conspiracies find flat-Eartherism a funny, clever niche thing at first.  But after a while they get invested in it (Rob actually does talks on it) and they start to really believe in the conspiracy theory.  And for 99% of the silly conspiracy theories out there it doesn't matter; who cares if you're a flat Earther?  You're not going to fall off the edge.

But then a pandemic comes along and what seems like a fun, clever new conspiracy theory ends up killing the people who believe in it.  Their "training wheels" conspiracy theories trained them to be able to swallow whole conspiracies without a bit of skepticism or concern for what that belief would do to them (and their loved ones.)   I  wish there was a way for people to learn the reality behind their decisions before they have to suffer through a crippling disease - or death.

Me thinks you've been browsing sorryantivaxer.com.... Hmmmm

On 10/12/2021 at 10:43 PM, billvon said:

In a related story:

Indeed, he did not.

On 10/12/2021 at 6:39 PM, mistercwood said:

My favourite video on the topic of the moon landings is the one where the guy proves that it would have been harder to fake the landings than to do them - the tech to *fake* it didn't exist yet.

I've also watched a similar video on YouTube: Debunking moon landing conspiracies with Maxwell and VXGI. They developed this technology in recent years. They possibly could fake the moon landing in recent days but it'd be impossible to fake moon landings in 1960s. 

Also, in my opinion, flat earthers are some of the dumbest people alive. I joined a flat earth discord once because I was curious about what they were saying and it was a total chaos. They said the most ridiculous things I've ever heard, like space doesn't exist, our sun is not real, etc etc. I asked them where the sun is and one of them said "I know where it is I'm not telling you where it is." 

if the earth was actually flat, I think they would say earth is round, just to be different from anyone else. 

10 minutes ago, ChromeBoy said:

Moon = 238,900 miles from Earth

Space Station = 254 miles from Earth

We lost shuttles going to the space station 1980+ but we went 238,900 miles and back in 1969?

Sounds strange to me.

Sort of like any flying. It's the take offs and landings that are most dangerous. 

1 hour ago, ChromeBoy said:

We lost shuttles going to the space station 1980+ but we went 238,900 miles and back in 1969?

Heck we lost an entire Apollo crew who never got more than a few hundred feet above sea level.  And another crew that barely made it back when their service module blew up.

1 hour ago, ChromeBoy said:

Moon = 238,900 miles from Earth

Space Station = 254 miles from Earth

Sounds strange to me.

Out of only 18 partial and full missions Apollo 1 killed its crew on the launch pad, and Apollo 13 came within a whisker of leaving its crew dead in space or burned up in the atmosphere.

The Space Shuttle, despite being an even more complicated vehicle and a programme that was seriously mismanaged in a number of ways, lost 2 crews in 135 missions. 

Nasa got to the moon in the 1960s because it was taking risks that wouldn't even be considered, let alone accepted, in the 1980s or today.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 10:43 AM, billvon said:

The research into intelligence is very interesting and while IQ testing is well known and established, measures for fluid intelligence are not as established. 

It's not uncommon to come across people with very high IQ's but they are unable to apply critical thinking and tend not to be deep thinkers. 

I suspect that people who are generally lower on the IQ scales, but relatively high on the fluid intelligence scales are prone to conspiracy theories. They have the innate curiosity to not take things at face value, but lack the ability to assimilate the complexity and nuances involved.