johnbamburg

Cell phones for skydive carrying

We just had our annual Safety Day at the DZ. I personally think this is the best thing a DZ can do for it's people. Allot of knowledge and allot of topics that don't get hit on very much but are important.
One topic was the occasional off DZ landing that occurs and how good it is to have a cell phone with you while jumping, to contact the DZ to come pick you up.
I have 2, but both are too big for the small pockets in my jumpsuit and an Iphone, actually gets in the way of my skyhook and reserve handles on my rig.
A cell phone seems mandatory, any ideas on a smaller, talk only phone to tocall back to the DZ??
What you do speaks so loud, I can't hear what you say.

Glitch

What's a skyhook handle?

I didn't say Skyhook Handle.
I said skyhook and reserve handle. The skyhook being located on one side of my rig and the reserve handle on the other.
Are you just trying to be difficult???
Almost all others understand what I mean. The phone conflicts with the areas to grab the the handles. It protrudes from the inside of the jumpsuit pockets to the area of the "rsl", skyhook, reserve whatever you fly.
Please all knowing 500 jump wonder. Don't make it difficult
What you do speaks so loud, I can't hear what you say.

johnbamburg

We just had our annual Safety Day at the DZ. I personally think this is the best thing a DZ can do for it's people. Allot of knowledge and allot of topics that don't get hit on very much but are important.
One topic was the occasional off DZ landing that occurs and how good it is to have a cell phone with you while jumping, to contact the DZ to come pick you up.
I have 2, but both are too big for the small pockets in my jumpsuit and an Iphone, actually gets in the way of my skyhook and reserve handles on my rig.
A cell phone seems mandatory, any ideas on a smaller, talk only phone to tocall back to the DZ??

I wear jeans or cargo shorts under my wingsuit. I carry my Iphone 5 in my front pants pocket without issue.

I have a very slim cover on it.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

johnbamburg

***What's a skyhook handle?

I didn't say Skyhook Handle.
I said skyhook and reserve handle. The skyhook being located on one side of my rig and the reserve handle on the other.
Are you just trying to be difficult???
Almost all others understand what I mean. The phone conflicts with the areas to grab the the handles. It protrudes from the inside of the jumpsuit pockets to the area of the "rsl", skyhook, reserve whatever you fly.
Please all knowing 500 jump wonder. Don't make it difficult

He's not being difficult. It's not clear what you are talking about. I think you are confused about terminology, and possibly about how your gear works. It might be a good idea to have a local rigger go over your gear with you to to clear up any confusion. It won't take long, shouldn't cost anything, and could save your life.

Your skyhook is located inside your reserve container, with the exception of the RSL lanyard. A phone inside a jumpsuit pocket will not interfere with it (or with a standard RSL).

I think you are talking about the cutaway handle, which has nothing to do with a skyhook or RSL.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

I've got my phone on a lanyard around my neck. As long as I don't wear baggy clothing it stays flat against my body, and doesn't interfere with my handles.

If you still don't like the idea of having it near your handles, follow raftman's suggestion, and (have someone) sew a pocket with zipper on your jumpsuit. That should be a quick and easy addition.

I agree. This damn thing is so effing inconvenient. I can't even Burbleme on it.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

mattjw916

lol, "mandatory" cell phone... kids today

personally I enjoy NOT having my cell phone with me while I'm jumping :D

Mandatory? I don't agree with that.

Good idea? Absolutely. "Comm Capability" is a nice thing to have. If you don't want to hear it ring, turn it off (they all have a "off" button, ya know :P)

What if you land out and hurt yourself (sprain an ankle or knee or similar) and can't walk back.

Or have a friend land out, you follow them down and find them hurt. Leave and go for help? Or stay with them and hope it arrives?

Or simply the ability to call back to manifest and say "I landed out, I'm ok and will walk back" and save them the time and trouble of searching for you.

Or "I landed out by the Antique Mall. Please send someone to come and get me."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Mandatory? I don't agree with that.

Good idea? Absolutely. "Comm Capability" is a nice thing to have. If you don't want to hear it ring, turn it off (they all have a "off" button, ya know :P)

What if you land out and hurt yourself (sprain an ankle or knee or similar) and can't walk back.

Or have a friend land out, you follow them down and find them hurt. Leave and go for help? Or stay with them and hope it arrives?

Or simply the ability to call back to manifest and say "I landed out, I'm ok and will walk back" and save them the time and trouble of searching for you.

Or "I landed out by the Antique Mall. Please send someone to come and get me."

That is my spiel, almost exactly. I highly advocate carrying a phone on every jump.

My rig has an ROL pocket for the express purpose of carrying my phone when I'm not wearing any other pockets. ;)
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Do you regularly jump a container that has the word/logo "SkyHook" embroidered on one of the handles? Serious question, that may lead to some of the terminology confusion here....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

As a load organizer at many events around the country, I feel obligated to carry a phone so I can help if someone lands off the DZ - especially if they get hurt.

Every 6 months I go to a Dollar General Store - They sell disposable smart phones (burner phones) with 200 minutes and 180 days of service. $30 for the entire 6 months. I've looked into renewing minutes and data but it's way cheaper to just toss and buy new.

Every time I go to a new DZ - the first thing I do, is give them my burner number and add the DZ number to my contact list.

The best thing I've seen, is the new app on Skydive Chicago's Burble software and phone app. In addition to all the other cool things I can do, they now have an app on the phone for off landings.

They have 5 tabs you can select with auto dial to the DZ

1) I'm hurt - Please send help
2) I'm OK - Walking back
3) I'm OK - Need a ride back
4) Call 911
5) Call DZ number

It's a whole new world out there. I want to be part of it.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I think this thread started out with good intentions, but in general, any topic on Drop Zone.com seems to take lots of twists and turns. Too bad it's not more professional, but that's another topic...

It's always a good idea to have a cell phone with you for many of the above reasons, along with the number of manifest and, in particular, if you are at a new DZ, a good map or rough sketch of the area for an off DZ landing.

No negatives I can think of.

I did have a need for one 5 years ago at a new DZ with an injured skydiver, away from the normal landing area. He was carried out by helicopter and the cell phone made a big difference.
Dano

dthames

I wear jeans or cargo shorts under my wingsuit. I carry my Iphone 5 in my front pants pocket without issue.

I have a very slim cover on it.

This may be OK with a wingsuit, but be careful with a regular jumpsuit. I used to keep my phone in my cargo shorts/sweats until one of my buddies had a tree landing and his phone was out of reach, in his pants pocket, under the jumpsuit, under the leg straps. My phone is now in the jumpsuit chest pocket.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Besides obvious lethal matters, like nicotine, alcohol, skydiving etc..
it is funny that I'm afraid of radiation from cell phone..
so I tend to keep it away from my heart, balls, brain, etc.

Because I so remember couple of long walks [:/]

What goes around, comes later.

Does your $30 bucks "burner phone" support the Chicago app? I also have the same problem as the OP, when I put my smart phone on the jumpsuit chest pocket it presses against the D ring and makes it harder to grab it. I haven't tried after I moved to pillow handle. A smaller burner phone is a great idea.