1 1
kallend

Rational exemptions to religion based laws

"Some Catholics around the country are claiming religious exemption to the vaccine, because there's nothing more Catholic than letting someone else die for your sins."

-- Colin Jost, doing "Weekend Update", on SNL last night

• Like 4

It mentions the "Sunday Laws" in the article.

I know LOTS of folks who'd like to be able to buy alcohol on Sunday in certain places. 

Wisconsin isn't one of those places, but we do have the law that car dealerships have to be closed on Sunday. 

I don't disagree with the idea that used car salesmen are slimeballs who are an offense to God, but I don't like the idea that that "God" can close down a business on a particular day.

• Like 1

(edited)

There should be no religious exceptions for anything under any circumstance. Everyone has an equal right to practice their religion so while you have every right to believe in a specific religious belief, others have an exactly equivalent right to refuse to acknowledge the legitimacy of that belief.

Edited by Westerly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Westerly said:

There should be no religious exceptions for anything under any circumstance. Everyone has an equal right to practice their religion so while you have every right to believe in a specific religious belief, others have an exactly equivalent right to refuse to acknowledge the legitimacy of that belief.

Hi Westerly,

I could not agree more.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  What's next; some dufus saying his religion does not allow him to be incarcerated?

The Satanic Temple is a religious organization formed specifically to advocate on political issues for atheists/humanists.  We have the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) and others willing to file legal challenges based on Constitutional and case law, but ST is able to apply a religious justification -- fighting fire with fire, so to speak. On the issue of reproductive autonomy, the ST claims the Texas law violates the tenants of their religion, which includes reproductive autonomy, including all medical procedures, as a foundation.  They also describe a ceremony to help prepare for terminating a pregnancy.  The religious ceremony serves to support and counsel through the decision process, and if necessary, through the medical procedure spiritually and emotionally strong. 

Yeah, the name (Satanic Temple) is usually met with mockery, but their tenants by which they argue these cases on religious grounds sounds quite reasonable. 

16 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

PS)  What's next; some dufus saying his religion does not allow him to be incarcerated?

If someone honestly believes that God told them to do it - say kill the gays in that night club. Then of course he should not be prosecuted due to religious beliefs.

32 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

If someone honestly believes that God told them to do it - say kill the gays in that night club. Then of course he should not be prosecuted due to religious beliefs.

Just following Leviticus 20:13

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them." 

20 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

It mentions the "Sunday Laws" in the article.

I know LOTS of folks who'd like to be able to buy alcohol on Sunday in certain places. 

Wisconsin isn't one of those places, but we do have the law that car dealerships have to be closed on Sunday. 

I don't disagree with the idea that used car salesmen are slimeballs who are an offense to God, but I don't like the idea that that "God" can close down a business on a particular day.

Everyone deserves at least one day of rest per week. Whether you sleep late in your bed or on a church pew is your decision.

(edited)
On 10/4/2021 at 1:12 PM, riggerrob said:

Everyone deserves at least one day of rest per week. Whether you sleep late in your bed or on a church pew is your decision.

But why is someone else deciding which day I must take my rest?

Edited by TriGirl
grammar
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Didn't Chesty Puller suggest that a diplomatic Marine was an oxymoron?

She said she's in a diplomatic post, not that she's a diplomat.

Ya gotta remember that Marines are the standard security force in all the embassies & diplomatic missions around the world.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 11:24 PM, TriGirl said:

To be fair, I'm in a diplomatic post, where we have issues every single day.  Plus, I'm the only Marine.  

I don't doubt that one of you is sufficient. But if you are the only Marine, how does it work that you have subordinates? I mean, we have 13 nuclear powered aircraft carrier battle groups.  Can we not afford to give you a few privates?

(edited)
On 10/15/2021 at 7:50 AM, wolfriverjoe said:
On 10/15/2021 at 7:19 AM, Phil1111 said:

Didn't Chesty Puller suggest that a diplomatic Marine was an oxymoron?

She said she's in a diplomatic post, not that she's a diplomat.

I am a diplomat.  I'm the defense attaché.  (Now I have to stop posting my political opinions here, since now you all know).

Edited by TriGirl
removing the excess info

On 10/15/2021 at 11:58 AM, JoeWeber said:

I don't doubt that one of you is sufficient. But if you are the only Marine, how does it work that you have subordinates?

My Operations Coordinator is an Air Force MSgt.  My Operations Assistant is a DoD civilian (as is the A/DATT, though that is currently vacant).  My new Security Cooperation Officer is an Army major, who will eventually get a Navy E6 or E7 as his own OpsCo.  We are fully purple here.

On 10/15/2021 at 7:50 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

Ya gotta remember that Marines are the standard security force in all the embassies & diplomatic missions around the world.

The Marine security guard program falls under the authority of the regional security officer (RSO), not the defense attaché.  Officers associated with the MCESG are regional commanders. Just wanted to clear that up. :) 

15 minutes ago, TriGirl said:

My Operations Coordinator is an Air Force MSgt.  My Operations Assistant is a DoD civilian (as is the A/DATT, though that is currently vacant).  My new Security Cooperation Officer is an Army major, who will eventually get a Navy E6 or E7 as his own OpsCo.  We are fully purple here.

The Marine security guard program falls under the authority of the regional security officer (RSO), not the defense attaché.  Officers associated with the MCESG are regional commanders. Just wanted to clear that up. :) 

OK, thanks. Now when will you be back to take over here?