obelixtim

Whats wrong with this pic?

jdkalou

Not backwards if the pilot is heading towards the camera.

In that case, his legs are on backward.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

GoldBug

The canopy is backwards, he's about to land on a fence and neuter himself, the fog is so thick he made a bad spot, and he probably busted airspace restrictions being that close to a big city!

:D And the car has not got an extension cable.

Electric car?

Yeah, right!
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

jdkalou

Not backwards if the pilot is heading towards the camera.

Container flaps and the nose of a canopy don't normally point in the same direction.

Rigging, your doing it wrong. :D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

obelixtim

:D And the car has not got an extension cable.

Electric car?

Yeah, right!

My wife and I have a LEAF. It's a great car. It has so many advantages over a gas car, and is so much nicer to drive, that we don't ever want to buy another gas car.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

BrianM

***:D And the car has not got an extension cable.

Electric car?

Yeah, right!

My wife and I have a LEAF. It's a great car. It has so many advantages over a gas car, and is so much nicer to drive, that we don't ever want to buy another gas car.

I see you live in Victoria. What's your range like? Electric car may be fine there. Not so much in Winnipeg during a prairie winter! I'm guessing your wife and yourself also have a second, more practical vehicle.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

theonlyski

***It has so many advantages over a gas car

Such as? Just curious.

Just off the top of my head:

Low operating costs. My wife commutes every day with the car, plus it's used for all our errands, trips to the DZ, etc. It used around $100 in electricity last year. That'll barely buy one tank of gas for my truck.

Low maintenance costs. Once a year they check the battery health and rotate the tires, and we're good to go. Few moving parts to break. No fluids to change. No clutch. Even the brakes last a lot longer thanks to regenerative braking (by paying attention to what's happening ahead, I can usually do almost all decelerating with only the regenerative brakes; I'll use the friction brakes for the last few feet before a red light to get to a complete stop from around 5 km/h).

Reliability, for the same reason as low maintenance costs.

Very smooth and quiet ride. The electric motor doesn't vibrate like a gas engine does. This doesn't sound like much, but after getting used to not having it, the vibration of a gas engine when sitting at a red light is unpleasant.

Charging at home (or at destination, though we rarely do this because we seldom need to) is way more convenient than stopping at a gas station. You know that "Oh crap, I'm almost out of gas and I'm already running late" experience? We never have that any more. People talk about range anxiety with electric cars, and we had a bit of that at first. Now we have less of it than we did with a gas car, because we know it will always be full.

Low environmental footprint (even after accounting for the impact of the batteries).

Much more efficient. Drive it all around town on a frosty day - and the hood is still frosty. It's a bit freaky at first. A gas car melts the frost within minutes because it's inefficient and wastes lots of energy in the form of heat.

Watching the fuel gauge go up when driving down a hill is really cool.

It's fun to drive! Decent acceleration, full torque at 0 RPM, the throttle is very responsive, and it's super smooth and quiet. I never want to drive the truck anymore.

And probably a few I'm forgetting.

gowlerk

I see you live in Victoria. What's your range like? Electric car may be fine there. Not so much in Winnipeg during a prairie winter! I'm guessing your wife and yourself also have a second, more practical vehicle.

We get around 150km on a charge, though it will vary based on a few factors (same as a gas car). Low temperatures would definitely affect the range, though it would still have sufficient range for most people most days. No, it won't meet everyone's needs.

Yes, we have a gas vehicle (a pickup truck). These days it only gets used for longer road trips, for hauling large loads that won't fit in a car, or if we both need to use a vehicle at the same time. It gets used so seldom the battery has gone dead a couple times.

Range and charging time are the currently the two big negatives. This isn't the car for long road trips. That should change in the future, as electric vehicle range is increasing rapidly, and expected to continue doing so. Charging time will become less of an issue as range increases (image a car that you can drive non-stop all day on a charge - as long as it's charged again by morning, who cares if it takes a few hours overnight?) For shorter road trips, Level 3 chargers will get us from empty to 80% in 30 minutes, which is an inconvenience, but does work - and again, will be less of a concern as range increases.

BTW, there are people who have an electric car as their only vehicle, and rent a car for the few times they need to do a longer trip. The money savings more than make up for the cost of the rental. Obviously that would depend on how often you do longer trips.

So yes, there are a couple negatives, and we do have another vehicle that we use to fill the gaps, but it fulfills probably 95% of our needs. By the time either of our vehicles need replacing, I hope that the range has improved enough to meet 100% of our needs. Time will tell.

I can see that it makes a lot of sense for you, and for most people moving themselves around a mild weather city. But in a place like I live, (Winnipeg) all that Otto cycle waste heat comes in mighty handy for keeping the interior warm. If I had to use electricity to defrost the windows and keep my feet from freezing the battery would not last very long at all.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Hi BrianM. Good post .......but ........... have you ever looked out the driver's window of your electric car and seen a canopy pilot flying beside you, going the same direction, with his main rigged backwards ........ like in the commercial ? :S

Life is short ... jump often.

jumpsalot-2

Hi BrianM. Good post .......but ........... have you ever looked out the driver's window of your electric car and seen a canopy pilot flying beside you, going the same direction, with his main rigged backwards ........ like in the commercial ? :S

Yep, all the time. Even the birds have their wings on backwards (and the car is so quiet I can hear them singing - that's the skydivers and the birds).

Hello Brian
I had the chance in March 2015 at ZephyrHills FL to try Charlie, a skydiver, 100% Electric car. It was the shock of my life in the good sense. The car was a Tesla P85+. He let me do a road test alone. Just a little lever on the right side of the direction wheel (up= backward, low=forward and middle =park) that's all. No gear box, no tranmission and a super large display screen.
But the surprise was the acceleration (4.4 seconds from 0 to 60 mph), I couldn't believe that for a so large car. Better than a Porsche Carrera 4.
And when you release the accelerator pedal, it starts breaking and recharges the batteries.;)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.