1 1
the.Legend

WS intercoms

Hi everyone, does anyone have an experience with solutions for voice communications mid-flight?

I was looking for something for group conversation and so far the options checked:

* Group calls - doesn't work because there's no carrier signal at the altitude

* Walkie talkie - doesn't cut because only expensive models are full duplex, without it people can't talk and listen simultaneously

* WiFi hotspot + app called "Talkie" (link to app on Playstore) - works in general and supports Bluetooth headsets, but is unreliable. If for any reason WiFi connection is interrupted it can't dial back automatically

* Motorcycle intercoms -  the option I'm about to try. It can automatically reconnect and is full duplex, but the best group limit I found is 5 people: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001208979534.html That's probably enough for most of the jumps, but I'm curious if there are any better solutions

1 hour ago, BigMick said:

My buddies and I jump with Cardo intercoms. If works fine and it auto reconnects if people get too far. I prefer using in ear headphones over the speakers that it comes with. 

This is the one I have: Cardo PACKTALK Bold - Best Motorcycle Communication System (cardosystems.com)

I see people using these for CRW and flocking as well. The slim is probably the model to get.

Thanks! Looks like it boils down to intercoms that have Bluetooth Mesh support and there are only very few of them on the market: Sena 30K, Cardo PackTalk, Midland BT Rush, Interphone U-Com 16, UClear Motion 6, and EJEAS Q4

All are pricey :E

Two notable models:

https://www.ejeas.com/product/q4/ is the cheapest - 158$ for a unit which supports up to 4 pilots

and https://www.interphone.com/en-es/Interphone/Intercoms/U-COM-16/p/INTERPHOUCOM16  supports up to 24 pilots (also they claim to be the thinnest mesh intercom on the market)

Both seem to be out of stock

[Edit] Clarification: Bluetooth Mesh is the technology that allows dynamic group configuration, meaning 2 things:

1. If flyer gets out of range, other people do not loose connection. In conventional intercoms fliers are connected one-by-one like links in the chain, but in mesh each flier maintains multiple connections simultaneously.

2. Flyer gets connected automatically once in group range again

Edited by the.Legend

(edited)

Cardo Packtalk is what everyone I know and myself use. Work very well, biggest complaint is I have the control unit mounted to the outside of my helmet so I usually push a button and switch modes when I pick my head up to look at my canopy opening because it hits the yoke of my rig. More than once I’ve suddenly connected to a radio station and had music start playing. A couple friends have lost units to a riser strike. But it’s really amazing to be able to have a straight up conversation in freefall 

Edited by skydave89

As said before, I think any modern unit with a variant on 'mesh' will be good.
We have used the Sena 50s units in our team for a year now, without too much fuss. The new 'spider' is seemingly an even better (and slightly cheaper) option from the Sena line-up. But Cardo or Senna, both seems to be ok.

We have the units a bit more towards the back of the helmet, as riser strike seems to kill quite a few units, regardless of brand. So place them wisely thinking about both snag and loss..

17 hours ago, BigMick said:

How did you record the conversations? 

The earpieces have a splitter (earphone plug) so relatively easy to connect to phone or direct to GoPro / Insta360 (I record direct to the GoPro so its not a lot of editing work to sync conversations later)

• Like 1