1 1
kallend

"I am not a hack"

3 minutes ago, kallend said:

Hi John,

I don't know about you, but I loved this part:  Justice Amy Coney Barrett’s recent remarks . . .  set off gales of laughter, much eye-rolling and a new appreciation for the necessity of term limits for justices.

Jerry Baumchen

22 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi John,

I don't know about you, but I loved this part:  Justice Amy Coney Barrett’s recent remarks . . .  set off gales of laughter, much eye-rolling and a new appreciation for the necessity of term limits for justices.

Jerry Baumchen

IMO term limits would be a huge mistake.  As it is they are beholding to no particular brand of politics being that they have no re-election worries.

12 minutes ago, airdvr said:

IMO term limits would be a huge mistake.  As it is they are beholding to no particular brand of politics being that they have no re-election worries.

How would term limits introduce politics?

Term limits would mean one term; No re-election, no re-appointment; Period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

How would term limits introduce politics?

Term limits would mean one term; No re-election, no re-appointment; Period.

Let's see...people are already complaining about politics in the SC.  You think replacing a justice every X years would make that better?

9 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Let's see...people are already complaining about politics in the SC.  You think replacing a justice every X years would make that better?

- 18 year term limit.

- POTUS gets to appoint a new justice every 2 years.

- Senate has 120 days to act on an appointment. If it does not act, appointment is done automatically without them.

Every POTUS term gets 2 appointments. No more McConnell fucking over an appointment.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ryoder said:

- 18 year term limit.

- POTUS gets to appoint a new justice every 2 years.

- Senate has 120 days to act on an appointment. If it does not act, appointment is done automatically without them.

Every POTUS term gets 2 appointments. No more McConnell fucking over an appointment.

So a president elected for 2 terms could appoint 4 Justices.

It is amazing how the term "hack" has changed over the years. Initially it simply meant to cut with an axe. Then it transofrmed to a sloppy cut with a dull axe. Then it changed to any job done sloppily. 

But more recently, computer "hackers" have adopted the term to describe their ability to "hack" into computer systems. Many computer "hackers" are malicious, but a newer generation has modified the term to mean clever improvements to computers and a wide variety of other equipment. Say "hacking" an old delivery van into an apartment on wheels. Now these entrepreneurs often use the term "hack" in the same sentence as "make."

1 hour ago, riggerrob said:

But more recently, computer "hackers" have adopted the term to describe their ability to "hack" into computer systems. 

At MIT, it also meant people who used clever means to gain access to places to pull pranks (like the police car on top of the Big Dome.)

40 minutes ago, billvon said:

At MIT, it also meant people who used clever means to gain access to places to pull pranks (like the police car on top of the Big Dome.)

Must be a Cambridge thing. 
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/seven-hilarious-pranks-been-played-13428268

1966:  Blond guy in front of the chapel was my physics tutor.Chapter 6. The Banner

1958, Cambridge UK.
r/TheWayWeWere - Cambridge University car roof prank. 1958.

Edited by kallend