1 1
luiscalber

Flare

Hi, at the moment I am using second hand equipment, you have a Saber 2 - 170.
I have a disability in my left arm, in my landings I never had an accident, but sometimes due to fatigue or having less strength in my left arm, I flare non-symmetrically, without generating accidents.

My second hand harness is starting to get small and very uncomfortable to fly. I am thinking of buying a new custom harness.

My big question, I feel safe to go down to a 150. What bell do you recommend me in which I have to exert less force to perform an effective Flare and thus be able to reduce those small lack of symmetry? my preferences are on Saber 3 150 and Storm 150.

What is your opinion?

Thanks

First, keep your hands and toggles close to your chest, where they are stornger.

Secondly, practice flaring with both hands on both toggles. Do a series of practice flares up high before you try to land with this new method. This will eliminate most asymmetry.

Thirdly, ask a friend to video some of your landings, then ask a local coach to criitque your technique on video. 

One thing to do as well - there have been times when I over-used an arm and my right elbow was killing me  - Once you open the parachute - do the vast majority of movements/turns with your good arm - in my case I did practically all left turns while my right elbow healed.  That way you will save the strength in your bad arm until you need it for flare..

my opinion, and what i would do if it were me that couldn't flare all the way every time, for whatever reason, would be to go to a 190 or maybe a 210 since i still have a 210.  if i found that i could not flare while on final, the extra material would likely mean the difference between walking away and being carried away.  but you do you.  good luck.

Edited by sfzombie13

On 9/24/2021 at 7:03 AM, luiscalber said:

... I have a disability in my left arm, in my landings I never had an accident, but sometimes due to fatigue or having less strength in my left arm, I flare non-symmetrically, without generating accidents. ...

Despite having a disability in one of your arms, if you are able to move it, then you are using muscles. And if the problem you have is due to fatigue and/or weakness, that is (at least in part) a muscle issue.

Muscles can be strengthened with exercises that 1) mimic the particular motion that is current is weak, and 2) provide load resistance in the same direction that currently is weak.  Maybe not to the point where it is as strong as your other arm, but almost certainly stronger than it is now.

So maybe (in addition to other's suggestions above, like keeping your hands close to your midline, and using your good arm for most things before you land) try to do exercises like pulling down against an elastic, or on a weight machine configured to raise the weights when you are moving your arm downward in a way that is identical to what you do when you flare.

6 hours ago, Divalent said:

Despite having a disability in one of your arms, if you are able to move it, then you are using muscles. And if the problem you have is due to fatigue and/or weakness, that is (at least in part) a muscle issue.

Muscles can be strengthened with exercises

Yeah. Because neuromuscular disorders can be worked out with exercise. ;P

Good morning, thank you for your contributions or recommendations.
I did not comment on something before or I did not explain it, when I have had some uncoordination in my flare, being something minimal and that I never get to generate an accident is when I have over 5 daily jumps, and here the fatigue appears in a general way throughout my body , and in these moments of fatigue is when you can present small errors of asymmetry, small errors that even today have not generated any accident.

Regarding muscle work, it is a task of more than a dozen years, but I repeat the disability is slight, if it were something serious and not sure, I would not be practicing skydiving.

I ask again my question, the force to flare in a canopy of 170 to 150 are similar? In all my reductions from 240 I have been noticing that every time I need to use less force

Thank you

While there might be a bit of difference in the toggle pressure (and thus the force required to flare it) between a larger and smaller canopy, the difference is fairly minimal. In my experience, different canopy types can vary more in the required toggle pressure than a step down in size will generate. In general, I would recommend against downsizing. It's overrated, especially to 'solve' landing issues. The effect of small errors in asymmetry is magnified when you are under smaller canopies, and doing it right is a matter of technique much more than force.

If it's an issue that pops up only after ~5 jumps that day, and combined with general body fatigue, it might be your body saying that it's been enough for today. Listen to it, you won't get hurt by not doing the final jump of the day. (Or plan ahead if someone is organizing an awesome sunset jump, and take a breather in the middle of the day).

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 6:03 AM, luiscalber said:

My second hand harness is starting to get small and very uncomfortable to fly. I am thinking of buying a new custom harness.

How does this happen? Are you over stuffing the container? Are you growing or gaining weight? Or did the container not really fit well to begin with and you are looking for reasons to upgrade? I've never heard of harness webbing on it's shrinking or getting smaller and making a rig uncomfortable.

A new container custom built to your body will be nice but it won't solve your canopy/ flare issues.

Thank you for your advice. These memories are what I have been taking for a long time. u greeting

9 hours ago, IJskonijn said:

Si bien puede haber una pequeña diferencia en la presión de palanca (y, por lo tanto, la fuerza requerida para ensancharla) entre un dosel más grande y uno más pequeño, la diferencia es bastante mínima. En mi experiencia, los diferentes tipos de toldos pueden variar más en la presión de palanca requerida de lo que generaría un paso hacia abajo en el tamaño. En general, recomendaría no reducir el tamaño. Está sobrevalorado, especialmente para 'resolver' problemas de aterrizaje. El efecto de pequeños errores en la asimetría se magnifica cuando estás bajo toldos más pequeños, y hacerlo bien es una cuestión de técnica mucho más que de fuerza.

Si es un problema que aparece solo después de ~ 5 saltos ese día, y combinado con la fatiga general del cuerpo, es posible que su cuerpo esté diciendo que ha sido suficiente por hoy. Escúchalo, no te lastimarás si no haces el salto final del día. (O planifique con anticipación si alguien está organizando un increíble salto al atardecer y tómese un respiro a la mitad del día).

5 hours ago, countzero said:

¿Como sucedió esto? ¿Estás llenando demasiado el recipiente? ¿Estás creciendo o subiendo de peso? ¿O el contenedor no encajaba realmente bien para empezar y está buscando razones para actualizarlo? Nunca he oído hablar de las correas del arnés que se encogen o se hacen más pequeñas y hacen que una plataforma sea incómoda.

Un nuevo contenedor hecho a la medida de su cuerpo será bueno, pero no resolverá sus problemas de toldo / bengalas.

-I'm putting on my weight. Thank you