1 1
brenthutch

European Energy Crisis

8 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Man I love me some spin. And you don’t (and won’t) know what happened with anyone else. Just as people thought you just quit posting. No one talked about a timeout except for you. 
Wendy P. 

To be fair, I got a month out for saying Brent was full of shit in the same thread you told him he was talking shit. So it is tricky to figure out the rules sometimes.

(edited)
5 hours ago, jakee said:

To be fair, I got a month out for saying Brent was full of shit in the same thread you told him he was talking shit. So it is tricky to figure out the rules sometimes.

When someone crosses the line and gets put in the penalty box, it should be posted on the forum as to why.  Not that the Moderators need to justify anything, only to more clearly communicate where that line is.  This would help members self-moderate and make the moderators job easier.  I think transparency is better than secrecy in this regard.

Edited by brenthutch

4 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Let's return to the European energy crisis. 

Wendy P. 

As requested

https://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-renewable-power-fuels-europes-energy-crisis-2452619/

“First World countries in Europe are struggling with a Third World problem. They’re running short on electricity, and prices are surging.

Europe is in the midst of a full-scale energy crisis. Unusually calm weather this year reduced wind power production SSE, an energy company in the United Kingdom, saw its renewable energy assets produce 32 percent less electricity than expected since April. Along with less wind, a dry summer reduced hydropower production…

In France, energy bills have gone up 57 percent since January. In response, France instituted a price freeze on natural gas and electricity. Prime Minister Jean Castex said he thought gas prices would rise by around 30 percent over the next few months. That either means shortages or that the government — read: taxpayers — will be paying the difference. Then there’s Europe’s cap-and-trade program, which forces prices even higher.“

It looks like Europe will be learning a hard lesson this winter.  Hopefully the US can wake up and avoid their self-inflicted disaster.

Looks like Europe is getting smarter.  Their grid scale storage "capacity has gone past the 5GWh mark and this year is likely to see installations almost double from 2020’s figures."  Storage will ease the demand for peaking by a great deal.

https://www.energy-storage.news/europe-predicted-to-deploy-nearly-twice-as-much-electrical-storage-in-2021-than-last-year/

(edited)
43 minutes ago, billvon said:

Looks like Europe is getting smarter.  Their grid scale storage "capacity has gone past the 5GWh mark and this year is likely to see installations almost double from 2020’s figures."  Storage will ease the demand for peaking by a great deal.

https://www.energy-storage.news/europe-predicted-to-deploy-nearly-twice-as-much-electrical-storage-in-2021-than-last-year/

End result?  Skyrocketing energy costs, shuttered factories, inflation, and higher CO2 emissions.

Big difference between “will”(as might be sometime in the future) and “is” (as what is actually happening now)9_9

Edited by brenthutch

On 12/21/2021 at 4:48 PM, brenthutch said:

https://www.newsweek.com/europe-energy-crisis-just-got-even-worse-1661136

“Europe's electricity grids are already struggling with low wind speeds, meaning that wind turbines aren't able to produce as much power.”

who could have predicted this?…..oh that’s right, I did:rofl:

So the main point of the article is about a fault in nuclear reactors which is forcing France to take a few nuclear power plants offline.

You have never predicted that France or anybody else would have to take nuclear electricity producing capacity offline.

I also don't believe you actually read Newsweek. So you likely saw this on some echo-chamber website and copied without reading. Or you simply don't understand what you read.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-ambitions-end-britain-germany-france-boilers-green-energy-costs-climate-change-emission-11640874970?mod=opinion_featst_pos1

As the cost of decarbonization becomes more apparent, Europe backs off of its green ambitions.  Going so far as declaring fossil fuel (natural gas) green energy.

(edited)
On 12/24/2021 at 4:10 PM, SkyDekker said:

You have never predicted that France or anybody else would have to take nuclear electricity producing capacity offline.

This was easy enough to predict 

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/germany-shuts-three-its-last-six-nuclear-plants-2022-01-01/

How will they make up the difference?

“Germany's decision to phase out nuclear power means that it must replace the energy source with climate-harmful coal and gas, the executive director of state-owned French energy company EDF has said”

Edited by brenthutch

On 12/24/2021 at 1:10 PM, SkyDekker said:

I also don't believe you actually read Newsweek. So you likely saw this on some echo-chamber website and copied without reading. Or you simply don't understand what you read.

I think it's more that he just Googles a phrase (like "global warming is a lie") and then just posts whatever links he finds.  It's not incapacity, simply laziness.  He puts the minimum effort he needs to get people like you to respond to him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, billvon said:

I think it's more that he just Googles a phrase (like "global warming is a lie") and then just posts whatever links he finds.  It's not incapacity, simply laziness.  He puts the minimum effort he needs to get people like you to respond to him.

Close, I type in “California’s green energy fail” and get,

“federal tax credits and state policies that favor renewables like solar and wind have proven unable to meet demand in California and Texas…

the effort to slash greenhouse gas emissions will hurt low- and middle-income Californians most because of higher energy costs, and estimates for the cost to businesses range into the billions of dollars when there are blackouts.”

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/story/2021-06-25/is-an-overreliance-on-renewables-a-bad-economic-move-for-california

33 minutes ago, billvon said:

He puts the minimum effort he needs to get people like you to respond to him.

Every time he posts a new topic I hope that this will be the one that gets no replies. I've been disappointed every single time. While he sits back and laughs at those thinking that they are clever in calling out the bullshit and plots the next stage of his self amusement. 

• Like 4

Does anyone still think there is no European energy crisis, or is a quadrupling of energy cost just the new normal?

https://www.dropzone.com/forums/topic/273351-european-energy-crisis/page/2/#comments

https://notrickszone.com/2022/02/16/main-reason-behind-europes-energy-price-explosion-is-green-policy-in-europe-and-germany/

Edited by brenthutch

On 1/2/2022 at 1:34 PM, billvon said:

Suspiciously like a PA.  To whom does one report these things?

3 hours ago, winsor said:

Suspiciously like a PA.  To whom does one report these things?

In all seriousness, Europe’s rush to “decarbonize” has threatened world peace.  They reduced fossil fuel production and usage before renewables were ready for prime time. This made them overwhelmingly dependent on Russia and emboldened Putin.  Russia can withstand western sanctions…Europe can not withstand being cut off from Russian oil and gas in the middle of winter.

Edited by brenthutch

42 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

They reduced fossil fuel production and usage before renewables were ready for prime time.

So...which European oil and gas reserves are you speaking of that they're sitting on and not using? If you mean the North Sea, I've got bad news for you...

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

So...which European oil and gas reserves are you speaking of that they're sitting on and not using? If you mean the North Sea, I've got bad news for you...

I said fossil fuels which includes coal, but since you mentioned oil and gas…

https://energy.ec.europa.eu/topics/oil-gas-and-coal/shale-gas-and-other-unconventional-hydrocarbons_en

“A key result from the EUOGA project shows that estimates of shale gas resources amounts to 89 trillion cube meters. The corresponding estimate for shale oil is set to 31 billion barrels”

Edited by brenthutch

2 hours ago, olofscience said:

Actually I think you only mean coal. You must really miss having mercury in your food...

“A key result from the EUOGA project shows that estimates of shale gas resources amounts to 89 trillion cube meters. The corresponding estimate for shale oil is set to 31 billion barrels”9_9