mistersam

Static line people: I need your advice

I had my first day of SL course today. We did 3 SL jumps and 1 freefall. Here's my problem:

I know exactly what to do when I'm on the ground, but I mess up when I'm in the air. For the 2nd and 3rd jumps we had a practice release. I got it right on the 2nd jump, but I missed it in the 3rd jump.

For the 4th jump, we jump freefall. I let go of the plane and reach for the release but I miss it (somehow). I panic without knowing it and I lose my position. A few seconds later I manage to pull the release, but I forget to let it go. Then I'm on my back and I finally let go, it gets caught up in my arm and hurts like all hell in the process. Once I'm under canopy, everything is good.

It didn't feel all that bad when I was in the air, but it looks very scary on video: I don't even have the chute open when I'm out of the screen.

The instructor said I should probably give up on skydiving because I panic even when everything is fine. The problem is that I like skydiving, but I don't want to panic like that again. I'm thinking about going and ask for another static line jump, and if I make it nicely, to try again a freefall.

What's your opinion? Have you experienced something similar?

The instructor said I should probably give up on skydiving because I panic even when everything is fine.

This pisses me off. In the 6 years I've been in this sport I've seen 1 person who should not skydive. The others it all came down to how much they wanted it and how much time an instructor was willing to give to a single student.

We've had a good number of students come through my DZ from other DZs who were told they should not continue to skydive. We've been able to get them their licenses. Why? We take the time to answer their questions, we spend a lot of time on the ground teaching muscle memory and the neutral body position. We take the time on our students that needs to be taken.

As for you, before you quit skydiving I'd try out another DZ or at the very least, another instructor. Do some breathing excersizes in the AC atleast 2 minutes prior to door.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah, what Dave said. Find a new DZ that will take the time to work with you.

BTW, i was one of those students that was pretty much told to give up skydiving. I found myself a different DZ and continued with training. Now it's 6 years and 1000+ jumps later and i'm still jumping.

DON'T GIVE UP if it's something you really enjoy.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Hoooo boy...

See here.

If I can get a license, anyone can.

For me, the key to getting over the mental block of the first few jumps off static line was switching training programs and doing a few AFF jumps to get more comfortable with exits and freefall stability. I then switched back into static line.

There are ways to work the issues. I hope you can find an instructor who is willing to. I was very fortunate to have some amazing instructors who were very patient and creative.:)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I started using a S/L as well and didn't get to do a free fall until jump #11.

I kept screwing up the practise pulls. I had to do 3 in a row right but I kept screwing up.

As of the end of this month that will be 30 years ago, I'm still jumping.

If I can do it, you can too :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Do you not have to do 3 good dp's (or practice ripord pulls) in a row? Don't gove up yet, just go back to SL and keep doing those practice pulls untill you are getting it 100% of the time.
x
Leeds University Skydiving Club
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

Warning: Total newbie here!
But....my 2 cents anyway ;)

First of all: How come you went on to freefall if you screwed up the practise pull? I would think that would make you even more nervous when it comes to the real pull...
Second: If pulltime is your problem, maybe you should try AFF. The instructor will be there to help you pull if you're not getting it right.

The instructor said I should probably give up on skydiving because I panic even when everything is fine. The problem is that I like skydiving, but I don't want to panic like that again. I'm thinking about going and ask for another static line jump, and if I make it nicely, to try again a freefall.

I don't think it's time to give up skydiving yet. Lots of folks panic at pull time, and most learn to adapt without too much trouble.

If you are going to stay in the static line program, please do not do another clear and pull until you have successfully completed a couple of static line jumps with good practice pulls.

An alternative would be a tandem progression so you have far less pressure or stress, and ample time to practice you pulls with an instructor on your back.

Another alternative would be AFF. That's a bit more demanding, but also an effective way to make a jump with instructors, and more time to deal with the pull sequence.

In any case, you might consider moving to a different drop zone that offers different progression methods, and that will spend the time helping you get over your fear at pull time.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

That is quite common on first freefalls.
Next time, practice the technique with an instructor, then develop your own little"self talk."
As you climb out, tell yourself "right foot, right hand, left foot, etc."
Then you will be too busy talking to yourself to mess up.
This technique also works in combat pistol shooting.

>I'm thinking about going and ask for another static line jump, and if
>I make it nicely, to try again a freefall.

That's a good idea. In our program, you need 2 static lines and 3 _good_ practice pulls before freefalling (it took me 10 tries.) Often, panic is caused by not knowing what to do; if you practice 100 times (no exaggeration) on the ground, until it's habit, then you will be less likely to panic.

We used a slippery board near a mockup so you let go of the strut and slid away from the door. Practice maintaining the arch as you go so you remain stable; that's very important, and is probably the biggest problem in early SL jumps.

This pisses me off. In the 6 years I've been in this sport I've seen 1 person who should not skydive. The others it all came down to how much they wanted it and how much time an instructor was willing to give to a single student. We've had a good number of students come through my DZ from other DZs who were told they should not continue to skydive. We've been able to get them their licenses. Why? We take the time to answer their questions, we spend a lot of time on the ground teaching muscle memory and the neutral body position. We take the time on our students that needs to be taken.

yep, ya'll do. ;) and it goes on my list of why i love that dz so very much. and sadly, it is very very rare. thanks for being those who actually teach people how to skydive - even those of us who don't come by it so easily.

to the original poster: find an instructor that will help you. i did. and it reminded me why i love skydiving so much. i also really liked brian germain's book on this topic, which is focused on retaining your mental focus and stability and learning not to panic. good luck.
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

This pisses me off. In the 6 years I've been in this sport I've seen 1 person who should not skydive. The others it all came down to how much they wanted it and how much time an instructor was willing to give to a single student.

Before you go off on the Instructor, remember that you were not there and the Instructor was.

That being said they should try another instructor, and you idea of breathing exercises is right on.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Defend the instructor???....

Well I don't know about that....from what he said, he's done his first jump, then number 2 and 3 doing dummy ripcord pulls....poorly.....then freefall....on his 4th jump....

Sounds a bit fishy to me.....and it sounds like the instructor who was there didn't have much of an idea about instructing....

Most S/L programmes I've heard of stipulate a minimum of 5 S/L jumps with at least 2 successful dummy pulls, the last within 24 hours of first freefall....

It seems to me the instructor, as well as being a crap instructor, has failed to follow a programme that is pretty common all over the world....

Give up on that instructor buddy......but keep jumping and follow the good advice you've been given by a few of the previous posters....

Go for it!!!.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I know exactly what to do when I'm on the ground, but I mess up when I'm in the air.

Not fair, no stealing my story. Where did I meet you, and tell you my story? And just FYI, I am a student, not an instructor, and anything I saw should be checked with a real life instructor.;););)

For the 2nd and 3rd jumps we had a practice release. I got it right on the 2nd jump, but I missed it in the 3rd jump.

Maybe the dropzone you jumped is a bit embarrased and that's why they are trying to suggest you give up skydiving. My understanding is you should have completed three practice ripcord pulls in a row, before you were allowed to clear and pull. If you had completed three PRP's, I suspect you would have been far more comfortable with what you were supposed to do, and would have had a much better chance of pulling properly.

For the 4th jump, we jump freefall. I let go of the plane and reach for the release but I miss it (somehow). I panic without knowing it and I lose my position. A few seconds later I manage to pull the release, but I forget to let it go. Then I'm on my back and I finally let go, it gets caught up in my arm and hurts like all hell in the process. Once I'm under canopy, everything is good.

Are you jumping a rig with a handle at the bottom of the rig, or a pilot chute you have to throw? I learned with a handle at the bottom of the rig, and I would be curious how you do practice rip cord pulls with a throw out pilot chute. I can't see how the PRP's muscle memory would transfer to a throw out pilot chute. Sure doesn't seem like the best way.

It didn't feel all that bad when I was in the air, but it looks very scary on video: I don't even have the chute open when I'm out of the screen.

I can imagine it looking scary, doesn't mean it actually was. You might post it on skydivingmovies.com, and ask for opinions.

The instructor said I should probably give up on skydiving because I panic even when everything is fine.

Maybe if the instructor had you do three PRP's, you would have pulled the first time.

The problem is that I like skydiving, but I don't want to panic like that again. I'm thinking about going and ask for another static line jump, and if I make it nicely, to try again a freefall.

OK, here's my take, as a lowly student.

1. Your instructor sucks. One PRP, one missed PRP and then you do a clear and pull? Yea right. You just missed a PRP, that doesn't make any sense to me to clear and pull.

2. Find a different instructor, or maybe a different dropzone. You could try AFF, but it's more money, many people think it's easier, some people think it's not as good as static line.

3. I am one of "Those" students, much worse than NWFlyer, and even worse than Wendy Faulkner. As long as you are enjoying skydiving, have the bucks to continue, and are not a risk to others, then I don't see why you shouldn't keep going.

4. Did you read the link NWFlyer posted? You found the handle, NWFlyer...umm, she had a couple of reserve rides because she tried twice, and couldn't find the handle, she did everything right when she couldn't find the handle.

5. I think you might want to read Wendy's student
log...

http://crwdog.servebeer.com/CRWdog/HowCRW.html

Remember, I am just a poor student, really a horrible student. My instructors are great, and more than willing to keep working with me. Find a good dropzone and instructor, and have fun.

Usual disclaimers, I am a student, not an instructor, always seek a compentent instructors advice, and instruction.

Blue skies,

Jeff
Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.

Defend the instructor???....

Well I don't know about that....from what he said, he's done his first jump, then number 2 and 3 doing dummy ripcord pulls....poorly.....then freefall....on his 4th jump....

Sounds a bit fishy to me.....and it sounds like the instructor who was there didn't have much of an idea about instructing....

The key words are "from what he said". All I said was that AD was not there and the Instructor was. The student may not know what he is talking about. He is a student, and we should not lynch the Instructor on just that post alone.

Most S/L programmes I've heard of stipulate a minimum of 5 S/L jumps with at least 2 successful dummy pulls, the last within 24 hours of first freefall....

It seems to me the instructor, as well as being a crap instructor, has failed to follow a programme that is pretty common all over the world....

Again, "from what you have been told". I am not defending the instructor. But I am not willing to call him an idiot either based off of one post from a *student*.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I wouldn't sweat it dude we all have bad days. i did 10 s/l jumps and totally sucked and new it but wasn't about to give up. I took the other option open to me and did AFF instead it worked for me and have never looked back :)
And I detest s/l exits;):)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Let me guess, the instructor's name is Bill Dause, You jumped at Lodi, CA ? Well that explains a lot. His SL is so cheap, because he makes you finish it in 10 jumps. If you do a mistake, he sends you off his DZ and does not return your money.

i did 10 s/l jumps and totally sucked

I got you beat. I'm the queen of S/L jumps.

I took the other option open to me and did AFF

When I was learning how to skydive, we didn't have that option. We learn by S/L or we didn't continue to learn how to skydive. I'm glad to see that there are other ways to learn.

Mistersam, don't give up! When I was a student my JMs were about to draw straws to figure out who was going to break the news to me that I should take up another sport. Maybe save your money and head to a DZ that offers a different method for students. A DZ that has a wind tunnel located either nearby or on the DZ might be a better option for you.

Good luck.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Thats hard work on you. I did static line and I had to do at least two good exits before I did 2(minimum) DRPs which had to be perfect and then onto a 3 second freefall. I don't kow where you jump but it seems to me you wouldn't even be 100% comfortable after 1 jump to do 2 drps and onto freefall!!! besides the fact that you missed your Drp on the 3rd jump that means that you only had one proper Drp before you went to freefall. That scares me, no wonder you paniced, i would have to. I had to have at least two "text book" drps before I could think about freefall. I dont know where you live and im sure at the time id of been happy to go from 1 good drp to freefall but looking back i cant believe any decent cci would allow that. But hey thats just me, nut don't give up it just gets better and better.

He doesn't make you finish the course in ten jumps! You have no idea what you talking about! Thats the amount of jumps you get when you sign up for the course. But if doesn't think your going to ever get it then he won't graduate you thats for danm sure. Sure he won't sugar coat it for you and suck you dry of money then tell you to go home. If you can't handle someone being honest with you and not baby you through out the course then is not the place for you to learn. Most people graduate the course at Lodi but just because you want to skydive doesn't mean you can skydive. The sport is not ment for everybody!
"Don't mistake common stupidity for common sense"
-Bill Dause

Really ? I do not know what I'm talking about. Well, how is this: I did finish SL at Lodi(successfully). On jump number 9 (15 sec. delay) I got an uncontrolable spin. Bill Dause still transferred me to tenth level (60 secs). Fortunately,that jump went good. How come do I know several people who were thrown off Lodi as students, but finished AFF in Hollister, Marina and other DZs ? How come does Bill charge full price at the beginning of the course, but make a mistake, get thrown out, and he still keeps the money ?

Did you see thier jumps? Did you ask Bill these questions? Did you pass your class? Or is everything you have to say second hand? I did the static line course as well, everything went great for me. As I said, if you need to have your hand held through the course then this place isn't for you. Go some place that does do that. You pay $500 for the course and you get super cheap tickets. If your there to skydive and really go for it and accept the critisizm then you'll do wonderful, but if you argue with your instructors and have an endless amount of excuses then there is no tolerance. Lodi is a place for people to really learn and skydive hard, its not a place to complain. If you don't like then don't go there.
"Don't mistake common stupidity for common sense"
-Bill Dause

Did I see their jumps ? Yes I did. At least one- my father's(he is one of many who were thrown off this DZ, and successfully finished AFF at other dropzones)
Did I pass my class - yes, as I told in my previous post. I finished it in 10 jumps. Do I think that Lodi is a great DZ for experience jumpers - you bet ! However, I would not recommend anyone to start learning skydiving there, at least not by the static line method.