kallend

Life expectancy analysis for the policy wonks

Pretty heavy duty stuff from NBER.

https://www.nber.org/system/files/working_papers/w29203/w29203.pdf

Inequalities in life expectancy are starker in the U.S. than in Europe. In 1990 White Americans and Europeans in rich areas had similar overall life expectancy, while life expectancy for White Americans in poor areas was lower. But since then even rich White Americans have lost ground relative to Europeans. Meanwhile, the gap in life expectancy between Black Americans and Europeans decreased by 8.3%.

I'm sure the usual suspects will come up with all kinds of reasons it can't be guns or the health care systems responsible for the differences.

3 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

wxLs6JSQVjm3p5zqdTlsHnCn7R7huLIaxKJDztIYLZs.jpg

The original inhabitants of the continent were not able to claim and keep it to themselves. Europeans and their slaves overtook them. White good 'ol boys will not be able to keep out the hoards either. The Bible teaches that God said "go forth and multiply". Not that I believe in either, but the concept is sound. America is largely empty, but it won't be empty forever. The people of the Earth will fill it up. One day it will be as populated as India because it has a lot of arable land and livable space. It will be more heavily populated than China. Southern Canada will be the same. It's all part of the exceptionalism!

8 hours ago, billvon said:

Wow.  He has a plumber's butt on his neck.

Obesity is a hell of a comorbidity for Covid.
So is the diabetes, cardio-vascular disease and all the other stuff that comes along with obesity.

The number of people earning Herman Cain awards who are morbidly obese is staggering.
Their denial of the obesity is almost as prevalent of their denial of the seriousness of the disease.

20 hours ago, gowlerk said:

America is largely empty, but it won't be empty forever. The people of the Earth will fill it up. One day it will be as populated as India because it has a lot of arable land and livable space.

I don't know how likely that is, at least in the next 100 years or so. Population growth is slowing and in many countries reversing. Something would have to happen to make that trend reverse.

1 hour ago, SethInMI said:

I don't know how likely that is, at least in the next 100 years or so. Population growth is slowing and in many countries reversing. Something would have to happen to make that trend reverse.

Maybe, and it would be a good thing in my opinion. The US population is increasing at about .5%/year versus about 1% for the world right now. It's a lot like compound interest, over the years the results are quite profound. A lot will depend on whether or not more women are given more control. And the overall picture on that is mixed to say the least. But one thing for sure is that immigration to North America is not going to stop and the average skin colour and ethic diversity of the people will increase.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

Edited by gowlerk