3 3
brenthutch

China

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

It's hard to make progress when Luddites do their best to stand in the way. But in the end people like that are just speed bumps in the road.

Rather like politically motivated anti-vaxxing then gloating that Biden didn't meet his vaccination goal.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Rather like politically motivated anti-vaxxing then gloating that Biden didn't meet his vaccination goal.

Not me, I’m fully vaccinated and I encourage my friends to do the same.  It just sucks that “leaders” like Harris and Cuomo turned it into a political football, and now people are dying as a result.

9 hours ago, brenthutch said:
On 9/13/2021 at 2:24 AM, Phil1111 said:

"The United States’ performance on this year’s CCPI ranks very low, putting it in the lowest rank. This is driven by its withdrawal from the Paris Agreement and lack of targets at the national level to either reduce national GHG emissions or increase renewable energy deployment."

President Biden rejoined the Paris Accords January 20th.

And yet CO2 emissions from the US are projected to INCREASE!! during the first half of his administration.  
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=46537

Kind of hard not to increase from 2020 levels, when no one was driving to/from work most of the year.  I guess indirectly, Trump's mishandling of COVID did contribute to a reduction in CO2 emissions.

Edited by TriGirl
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 6:45 PM, kallend said:

We were in WA two months back, worst traffic management I can recall seeing anywhere.  Traffic jams in the middle of nowhere worse than downtown Chicago in rush hour.  And don't get me started on Seattle!

Belgium has WA beat by a kilometer at least.

“In year 2020 the developing nations consumed 82% of all global coal use with China alone consuming 54% of the world’s coal. China was the only nation in the world that increased both energy use and emissions in pandemic year 2020.

The U.S. and EU have not contributed to the increasing level of global emissions over the last 15 years. In fact, these nations reduced emissions during this time period by many billions of metric tons. Yet global emissions have continued to dramatically climb ever higher by many more billions of tons driven exclusively by the increased use and unstoppable growth of fossil fuel energy by the world’s developing nations.”

I’ll say it again, all we have done is export our manufacturing, emissions, jobs and money to China and others.  We shut down a cement plant or steel mill, lay off thousands of workers, pat ourselves on the back for “saving the planet” then just buy that cement and steel from China. (Which happens to be cheaper because of lax environmental protections and the use of slave labor)

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 8:50 AM, kallend said:

I see that the US and UK are joining with Australia to provide nuclear sub technology, to help counter growing Chinese military presence in the Pacific.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/15/politics/us-uk-australia-nuclear-powered-submarines/index.html

And now the French are throwing a hissy fit.

The French have never forgotten the ignominy of having to have the USA and UK pull their fat from the fire (OK, only the twice...) in the 20th century and for the added insult having to beg the English to give their government in exile safe haven during WW2 when De Gaulle had to cut and run from La France with his tail between his 'Free French' legs. That and the various bloody noses they have received from the UK in previous centuries. In the UK we don't expect anything from France other than obstruction, pettiness and beacuoup toys tossed from la perambulator. 

On 9/15/2021 at 12:10 PM, airdvr said:

I don't think China is alone in it's plan.  I'm not in favor of our joining an agreement that keeps moving the goalposts.

Dunno about that.  We seem to be doing OK with the Constitution, and that's an agreement where the goal posts have moved - what? - 27 times?

On 9/12/2021 at 7:16 AM, brenthutch said:

“China is the world’s biggest polluter, responsible for 27 per cent of global emissions of greenhouse gases – and that’s about to get worse. It is opening new coal-fired power stations and increasing emissions at an annual rate that is greater than the savings of the rest of the world put together. Last year, coal plants with a combined capacity of 37.75 gigawatts were retired globally, more than half in the United States and European Union, according to an analysis by Global Energy Monitor, which analysis fossil fuel trends. During that time, China opened 38.4 gigawatts of new plants – that’s three times more new coal fired capacity than the rest of the world combined.”

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/are-china-s-climate-promises-just-a-load-of-hot-air-

I must respect the mental gymnastics required to delude oneself into believing we can alter this reality with some EVs, windmills and solar panels.  The West is just exporting our CO2, our manufacturing, our jobs and our money to China.  In exchange we get skyrocketing energy costs and rolling blackouts (thanks California for the foreshadowing)

South Korea and Japan have made similar announcements.

Edited by SkyDekker

4 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

South Korea and Japan have made similar announcements.

So?  It does nothing to scale back Chinese domestic production. Has no impact on India and Vietnam has shown it can forge ahead without foreign assistance.  Did Xi say he would stop projects currently underway?  

“China’s cheap energy strategy will kill three birds with one stone: 

1. By building up its coal-powered economy, it can continue to produce and export renewables much cheaper than most OECD nations. China will thus cement its role as the world’s foremost producer and exporter of renewable energy.

2. By ending support for building coal-fired power plants abroad it reduces the pressure on coal demand, improving China’s domestic coal market which is currently struggling with high coal prices. 

3. By announcing this move, China is playing the green card in the run-up to COP26 in order to reduce Western pressure and kick the ball back into Joe Biden’s court.”

I really think the West is committing economic suicide.  We are giving up cheap reliable energy for expensive intermittent energy in the futile effort stop bad weather.  :/

29 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

“China’s cheap energy strategy will kill three birds with one stone: 

1. By building up its coal-powered economy, it can continue to produce and export renewables much cheaper than most OECD nations. China will thus cement its role as the world’s foremost producer and exporter of renewable energy.

2. By ending support for building coal-fired power plants abroad it reduces the pressure on coal demand, improving China’s domestic coal market which is currently struggling with high coal prices. 

3. By announcing this move, China is playing the green card in the run-up to COP26 in order to reduce Western pressure and kick the ball back into Joe Biden’s court.”

I really think the West is committing economic suicide.  We are giving up cheap reliable energy for expensive intermittent energy in the futile effort stop bad weather.  :/

In the short term, your point has merit.

In the long term, the more we depend on finite resources the more screwed we are when they run out.  In all fairness they will never likely 'run out' so much as become too scarce and expensive to consider.

In the meantime, our problem is that our way of life is dependent on cheap and plentiful energy.  And. like any good metastatic tumor, we depend very much on 'growth.'

For a variety of reasons we have no game plan to transition to a stable, self-sufficient society.  The idea that, having trashed the planet that spawned us, we should somehow transition to another planet (Mars, anyone?) with the expectation that we should do any better is quite amusing.

Whatever one's stance on Global Warming/Global Cooling/Climate Change, the reality is that our survival as a species (the planet will be around long after we're gone) is enhanced if we develop the means of limiting our population to that which is sustainable, and get away from wiping out the backlog of finite resources.

Good luck with either.

BSBD,

Winsor

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, winsor said:

Whatever one's stance on Global Warming/Global Cooling/Climate Change, the reality is that our survival as a species (the planet will be around long after we're gone) is enhanced if we develop the means of limiting our population to that which is sustainable, and get away from wiping out the backlog of finite resources.

Good luck with either.

BSBD,

Winsor

We have already figured out how to limit population growth.  Development.
Europe, the U.S., Russia, Japan, South Korea, Canada, Australia and several other developed nations have near zero (and sometimes negative) indigenous population growth.  Even China’s growth rate is approaching zero.

IMHO the three keys to the future are: emancipate (women) educate (everyone) and generate (lots of energy to power a modern world)

I don’t buy into the Malthusian notion of “we’re all going to run out of..(insert latest headline).” It is just as wrong today as it was 200 years ago.

1 hour ago, winsor said:

For a variety of reasons we have no game plan to transition to a stable, self-sufficient society.  The idea that, having trashed the planet that spawned us, we should somehow transition to another planet (Mars, anyone?) with the expectation that we should do any better is quite amusing.

How could we pass up the chance to mirror The Expanse. I wish I could be around to see the proto molecule shake up the inner planets grip on the system.

https://joannenova.com.au/2021/10/games-up-one-week-to-glasgow-and-china-is-desperately-digging-for-record-amounts-of-coal/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=games-up-one-week-to-glasgow-and-china-is-desperately-digging-for-record-amounts-of-coal

“China is now digging up nearly 12 million tons of coal each and every day. If they keep this up it will be a “One Billion Ton” quarter, and potentially nearly a 4-billion-ton year. That’s about 8 times Australias entire annual production and about six times the US’s.”

Anyone who thinks we can mitigate global CO2 emissions with some traffic circles while China burns BILLIONS of tons of coal is engaged in magical thinking.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 6:20 AM, brenthutch said:

https://joannenova.com.au/2021/10/games-up-one-week-to-glasgow-and-china-is-desperately-digging-for-record-amounts-of-coal/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=games-up-one-week-to-glasgow-and-china-is-desperately-digging-for-record-amounts-of-coal

“China is now digging up nearly 12 million tons of coal each and every day. If they keep this up it will be a “One Billion Ton” quarter, and potentially nearly a 4-billion-ton year. That’s about 8 times Australias entire annual production and about six times the US’s.”

Anyone who thinks we can mitigate global CO2 emissions with some traffic circles while China burns BILLIONS of tons of coal is engaged in magical thinking.

spacer.png

China uses 150 million metric tonnes less coal annually than it did in 2013. China emits less than 1/2 the greenhouse gasses per person than America does.

Obviously you got you're environmental education on FOX.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-nov-coal-output-strikes-new-high-ensure-winter-supply-2021-12-15/

“China's coal output hit a record high in November as Beijing urged miners to ramp up production to ensure sufficient energy supplies in the winter heating season.
China, the world's biggest coal miner and consumer, produced 370.84 million tonnes of the dirty fossil fuel last month, data from the National Bureau of Statistics showed on Wednesday.”

Still using per capita emissions I see :rofl:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Coreece said:

lmfao

The climate system doesn’t care how much CO2 an individual produces, only total emissions.

If per capita emissions mattered we would be talking about Qatar (37.29 tons per capita) and not the US (15.52).  Canada and Australia also have higher per capita emissions than the US

12 minutes ago, brenthutch said:
53 minutes ago, Coreece said:

lmfao

The climate system doesn’t care how much CO2 an individual produces, only total emissions.

If per capita emissions mattered we would be talking about Qatar (37.29 tons per capita) and not the US (15.52).  Canada and Australia also have higher per capita emissions than the US

Agreed.  It demonstrates how for many people it's more political than environmental.