3 3
brenthutch

China

19 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I guess if you live in the land of make-believe it can be dominant when ever you wish. However, given the fact that fossil fuels make up roughly the same percentage of global energy use as they did a century ago it won’t happen in the real world for a long long time (several decades).

You've moved the goalposts to market dominance because you really can't argue against the cost numbers right?

Let me emphasise, market share is not cost.

If you think solar is NOT the cheapest electricity, put up actual proof. Because, let me repeat, market share is NOT cost.

They're different terms, spelled differently and mean different things.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

A century ago was a long time in technology. The percentage grew, and now it’s shrinking. 
Wendy P. 

Oh hush. 

Stop using facts. 

You know, like back in 1921 cars were a rarity, only owned by the well-to-do.
Or that most rural homes were without electricity. 

You're just being silly. ;P

24 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Oh hush. 

Stop using facts. 

A hundred years before that was the peak of the "whale oil" lighted economy. And wind energy drove almost all inter-ocean transportation. Things can change, but there is always those dead enders who resist.

Edited by gowlerk

Just now, gowlerk said:

A hundred years before that was the peak of the "whale oil" lighted economy.

Yup. And until kerosene was found to work well, and then crude oil found in accessible places in decent quantities, the whalers just about exterminated the whales. Like as in "all of them gone".

1 minute ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Yup. And until kerosene was found to work well, and then crude oil found in accessible places in decent quantities, the whalers just about exterminated the whales. Like as in "all of them gone".

I remember when we used to use analog grooves pressed into oil based vinyl discs to listen to music!

50 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Oh hush. 

Stop using facts. 

Hi Joe,

And from 1945 to 1950, when she got indoor plumbing, whenever we visited my maternal grandmother, I used an out house; and wiped my keester with pages from a Montgomery Ward catalog.

Jerry Baumchen

5 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

And from 1945 to 1950, when she got indoor plumbing, whenever we visited my maternal grandmother, I used an out house; and wiped my keester with pages from a Montgomery Ward catalog.

Jerry Baumchen

What, no corn cobs?  Do you remember the 3 cob corn kit, 2 red ones and one white one.  You use the red one first, then the white one to see if you need the other red one.

3 minutes ago, Bigfalls said:

What, no corn cobs?  Do you remember the 3 cob corn kit, 2 red ones and one white one.  You use the red one first, then the white one to see if you need the other red one.

I've heard in the future it will be three seashells.

40 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Agreed, and we didn’t have to spend trillions of tax dollars to transition.  The same can be said about the transition from wood, to coal to oil, to natural gas for home heating.

31 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Agreed, and we didn’t have to spend trillions of tax dollars to transition.  The same can be said about the transition from wood, to coal to oil, to natural gas for home heating.

Well, a little federal money was spent to build the roads those cars ran on, the electric grid to reach the houses, and maybe a dam or two as well. 
Wendy P. 

Olof

“When you need to increase energy production capacity for wind or solar, you just add an extra solar panel or an extra wind turbine and hook it up. Repeat as many times as necessary.”

Also Olof

“China's building coal plants at a rapid pace because as a developing country, their energy needs are increasing quickly”

Also Olof

If you want to increase energy production for a coal plant, you'll need to choose a site, get architects in and design and build an entire power plant facility. Gives you a big step increase in power capacity, but takes a lot longer.”

Olof is confused, but that is unsurprising given the Lefties capacity for cognitive dissonance.

Edited by brenthutch
  • Like 1

Actually, we’re just outside Monroe, OR right now, on our way to Napa. Tasting wine, of course. And all through Washington were “historical markers” talking about all the wonderful things whatever local dam was there provided  

Wendy P. 

24 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

. And all through Washington. . . 

We were in WA two months back, worst traffic management I can recall seeing anywhere.  Traffic jams in the middle of nowhere worse than downtown Chicago in rush hour.  And don't get me started on Seattle!

33 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Actually, we’re just outside Monroe, OR right now, on our way to Napa. Tasting wine, of course. And all through Washington were “historical markers” talking about all the wonderful things whatever local dam was there provided  

Wendy P. 

It’s a little bit funny (to quote Elton John) that most of the power used by the left coast is generated by fossil fuels 9_9

4 hours ago, Bigfalls said:

You will have to go to the ocean to get them, remember "she sells sea shells by the sea shore"

Tying the themes together, Mary Anning is reputedly the inspiration for the tongue twister "she sells sea shells by the sea shore", but is almost certainly the discoverer of the coprolite (along with a bunch of other paleontological discoveries).

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/mary-anning-unsung-hero.html

On 9/12/2021 at 12:24 PM, Phil1111 said:

"The United States’ performance on this year’s CCPI ranks very low, putting it in the lowest rank. This is driven by its withdrawal from the Paris Agreement and lack of targets at the national level to either reduce national GHG emissions or increase renewable energy deployment."

President Biden rejoined the Paris Accords January 20th.

And yet CO2 emissions from the US are projected to INCREASE!! during the first half of his administration.  
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=46537

7 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

Lol still less than 2018 & 2019 levels per your link.

I just think it is funny that someone would rate our “climate score” on promises and accords rather than actual CO2 emissions.

Trump w low CO2 emissions = bad

Biden w higher CO2 emissions = good

9_9