1 1
nwt

True pull-out vs. BOC hybrid

I've discovered that I really, really hate PC hesitations on my Lightning, and I'm planning to convert my CRW rig to pull-out deployment. My understanding is that some people prefer the hybrid because they worry about dropping the handle and not being able to recover it, resulting in a total. That doesn't seem too dangerous to me--I'd just go to reserve. Some prefer the true pull-out because with an accidental pin pull on the hybrid, you're somewhat likely to end up with a horseshoe--this sounds much more dangerous to me, and if you drop your handle with a hybrid, there's a good chance the PC won't pull the straight pin anyway.

For these reasons, I'm leaning toward a true pull-out. Is there anything I'm missing or not weighing correctly?

I switched to a pullout for my CRW rigs years ago.  I like it much better than throwouts for CRW.  I think the handle is less of an issue for CRW than for freefallers because if you check the handle right before you leave the plane it is unlikely to be floating when you go to pull.  And its pretty simple to train yourself to actually pull the pin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, faulknerwn said:

I switched to a pullout for my CRW rigs years ago.  I like it much better than throwouts for CRW.  I think the handle is less of an issue for CRW than for freefallers because if you check the handle right before you leave the plane it is unlikely to be floating when you go to pull.  And its pretty simple to train yourself to actually pull the pin.

What are your thoughts on real pull out vs. hybrid?

On 9/9/2021 at 7:10 PM, nwt said:

What are your thoughts on real pull out vs. hybrid?

For a CRW rig - you are pulling at altitude - you have time - spend too long and the opening will hurt  but you can get the handle.  I had a floating pud on a pullout once but it was on a freefall jump pulling at 3k or so.  And my current pullout system is far more secure than the Reflex I had back then.  I feel like I get more on-heading openings on my actual pullout as well.  

I think doing CRW where you are pulling 2 seconds out the door both work fine.  

I flew a pull-out racer in the 90s for my first 500 jumps and loved it. I’ll admit, it gave me a little bad habit of a weak throw that sometimes still haunts me today. For CRW, I’d recommend it if you want a more direct inflation/pin pull. However, it may not be necessary.

On a slight side-note, PC hesitation is a bigger topic in BASE compared to skydiving and how you are packing/stowing can cause hesitations. Tom Aiello talks about some things to consider HereHere and  Here. He also discusses a standard BASE PC packing method Here. Maybe try packing your PC like a BASE PC to see if that solves your hesitation issue before changing the deployment method.

Edited by BMAC615

On 9/12/2021 at 4:12 PM, BMAC615 said:

I flew a pull-out racer in the 90s for my first 500 jumps and loved it. I’ll admit, it gave me a little bad habit of a weak throw that sometimes still haunts me today. For CRW, I’d recommend it if you want a more direct inflation/pin pull. However, it may not be necessary.

On a slight side-note, PC hesitation is a bigger topic in BASE compared to skydiving and how you are packing/stowing can cause hesitations. Tom Aiello talks about some things to consider HereHere and  Here. He also discusses a standard BASE PC packing method Here. Maybe try packing your PC like a BASE PC to see if that solves your hesitation issue before changing the deployment method.

Thanks, I'll watch the videos for sure. I have a couple more CRW camps before I'll be putting my rig in the shop, so I should be able to get a bunch of throws with a different packing method.