2 2
TLD

DRP static line

I am on static line jump 6- now on DRP’s. I managed one but second attempt I didn’t manage to achieve a dummy pull. I feel I’ve maybe hit a bit of a brick wall (metaphorically haha). The thought of actual free fall (coming off static line) is terrifying me!! Not a good sign!? Any advice- should I switch to AFF?? 

Any decision you make about what you should actually do should involve direct, in person consultation with your instructors.

What I can tell you here is that skydiving requires the ability to absolutely focus on the task at hand, regardless of what is going on. That can apply to pulls, EPs, or whatever comes up that requires your timely response. Practice your jump plan so that your required body position and sequence is absolutely ingrained, then get out there and do it.

As NickDG used to borrow from Magnum, 'Don't look at the dogs, work the lock'.

• Like 1

DRP’s are hard. Freefall is easier — honest! Take It from someone who also did more than the minimum of DRP’s. Does your instructor have specific suggestions to improve it? 
Dudeman is right, this discussion is really between you and the instructor(s) at your dropzone. Sometimes a different instructor can help. If you’re at all close to a wind tunnel, that might ease one piece Of our anxiety. 
You’re clearly motivated — wonderful!
Wendy P. 

• Like 2

Ask a local instructor to watch you practice DRPs.

Sometimes you have to adapt your technique to adjust for different harness-student configurations.

For example, I teach my students two different methods to find their BOC handle. I tell them to practice sliding a hand down the right side of the container. I also teach them how to grab their own ass, then slide their hand up until they feel the handle. Then I get them to practice both techniques while laying on the ground and let them decide which technique works best for them. Then we practice their chosen method a few more times to burn it into long-term memory. During later practices, I encourage them to imagine wind noise, etc.

By the way, where are the main ripcord handles on your school's student harnesses?

17 hours ago, wmw999 said:

DRP’s are hard. Freefall is easier — honest! Take It from someone who also did more than the minimum of DRP’s. Does your instructor have specific suggestions to improve it? 
Dudeman is right, this discussion is really between you and the instructor(s) at your dropzone. Sometimes a different instructor can help. If you’re at all close to a wind tunnel, that might ease one piece Of our anxiety. 
You’re clearly motivated — wonderful!
Wendy P. 

I’ve done tandems so it’s not the actual free fall I’m afraid of it’s coming of the static line and having to pull for myself - which probably sounds ridiculous! That’s why I thought AFF might suit me? Physically having 2 instructors with me as I pull?   

15 hours ago, TLD said:

having to pull for myself - which probably sounds ridiculous!

not to me. I did SL like 18 years ago, but I can still remember how freaked out I was about having to pull for myself. I was convinced it was very possible that I would get unstable, start tumbling through the air, pull, and get wrapped up in the bridle and lines and plunge to my death in a wad of nylon.

Of course that didn't happen, and the jump where I successfully pulled for myself has stayed as a memory all these years. I was celebrating under canopy like I'd just blocked the PK that won my team the EPL title. Good times.

AFF will help you get past that fear of pulling, and if that becomes a real blocker for you, I would switch. The important thing is to keep going, keep practicing, keep jumping. 

24 minutes ago, SethInMI said:

not to me. I did SL like 18 years ago, but I can still remember how freaked out I was about having to pull for myself. I was convinced it was very possible that I would get unstable, start tumbling through the air, pull, and get wrapped up in the bridle and lines and plunge to my death in a wad of nylon.

i did static line in '97 and my first clear and pull that did happen to me, minus the dying part.  went to my back, waited a second or two, pulled and had a wad of shit over my head, back to earth and lines everywhere wrapping me up.  i looked at my altimeter and a line came off and in another second i had a good canopy and a sore neck.  scared the hell out of my jumpmaster and me, but i was too new to be really scared.  jumped again and had a great jump. 

to the op:  i wouldn't worry about it too much, the canopy wants to open, even if you fuck up pretty bad.  you can't progress if you don't, so how bad do you want it?

6 hours ago, SethInMI said:

Of course that didn't happen, and the jump where I successfully pulled for myself has stayed as a memory all these years. I was celebrating under canopy like I'd just blocked the PK that won my team the EPL title. Good times.

AFF will help you get past that fear of pulling, and if that becomes a real blocker for you, I would switch. The important thing is to keep going, keep practicing, keep jumping. 

Hi Seth,

+1 - So did I.

Jerry Baumchen

On 9/8/2021 at 4:41 PM, TLD said:

I am on static line jump 6- now on DRP’s. I managed one but second attempt I didn’t manage to achieve a dummy pull. I feel I’ve maybe hit a bit of a brick wall (metaphorically haha). The thought of actual free fall (coming off static line) is terrifying me!! Not a good sign!? Any advice- should I switch to AFF?? 

I tell my students that even if they do not manage to complete the excersise at first, just pull the dummy after the canopy is open, in their own time.

It may not count towards freefall, but at least you have the satisfaction of pulling the dummy in the air..

On 9/8/2021 at 9:23 PM, riggerrob said:

Sometimes you have to adapt your technique to adjust for different harness-student configurations.

For example, I teach my students two different methods to find their BOC handle. I tell them to practice sliding a hand down the right side of the container. I also teach them how to grab their own ass, then slide their hand up until they feel the handle. Then I get them to practice both techniques while laying on the ground and let them decide which technique works best for them.

With a dummy rig and DR handle on; have the student stand facing the wall with their toes about 24-30 inches back and shoulder width apart (height dependent). 

Leaving their feet there; have them place ONLY their belly button on the wall.

Head up, look at the ceiling, hands up offset to emulate on the strut.

Tell them on the command of "GO" you're going to SNAP as fast as you can and snatch the DRP.

GO

Again, Faster

Again, Faster

Again, Faster. 

You've taught them three things; 1) to present their lower body into the wind, 2) To locate the DR quickly, 3) To know the location of the DR instead of searching for it. 

Thank you, Curly Roe (RIP) 

Edited by BIGUN
  • Like 1