samblack

Logbook Etiquette

You are absolutely right. I need to tone it back a bit. My OCD kicks in when I see grammar errors that have a material affect on the interpretation of the regulation.

Sometimes I forget I got into skydiving so I could 'dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings', rather than correct grammar.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

DiverMike

You are absolutely right. I need to tone it back a bit. My OCD kicks in when I see grammar errors that have a material affect on the interpretation of the regulation.

Sometimes I forget I got into skydiving so I could 'dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings', rather than correct grammar.

See what all that fancy book learnin' does to ya?! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

DiverMike

It isn't likely that a Judge doesn't already have a 'D' license, ...
drift>

Really? I have four National ratings, and next year will pursue FAI. My profile info is all correct. I was also a very experienced DZSO before I even had my A license (I bring that up because someone made a comment about it once).

Might be surprised who's judging competitions, certifying records, or "pulling dirt!" ;)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

DiverMike

How many hours do you have arguing the finer points of FAR's? I know we had ATC manual discussions that could go on forever. :S:D

TriGirl

drift>

Really? I have four National ratings, and next year will pursue FAI. My profile info is all correct. I was also a very experienced DZSO before I even had my A license (I bring that up because someone made a comment about it once).

Might be surprised who's judging competitions, certifying records, or "pulling dirt!" ;)

And this explains a lot about some of the judging I have seen at some of the competitions over the years.... lots of credentials, but not much experience.

Jump more, post less!

Anyone who's a skydiver or a pilot. I get signatures for my hot air balloon jumps from the pilot. Hot chicks are also totally acceptable. If they're not a skydiver, just tell them to put their phone number down instead.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

Anyone who's a skydiver or a pilot. I get signatures for my hot air balloon jumps from the pilot. Hot chicks are also totally acceptable. If they're not a skydiver, just tell them to put their phone number down instead.

According to the FAA if they are a hot chick, their name and phone number is required in case the FAA needs to verify the jump/signature.

topdocker

drift>

And this explains a lot about some of the judging I have seen at some of the competitions over the years.... lots of credentials, but not much experience.

Everyone has to start somewhere and in my experience you work your way up the judging totem pole. In addition finding qualified judges is difficult in every sport. Especially so if there is no compensation.

jumpgump

Is it okay/acceptable to ask the load organizer or someone in manifest to sign my logbook?

Scope out the most talkative skygod at the DZ and just stare blatantly at him until he cracks. When he comes up to greet you, put your index finger up to his lips and shhh him. Hen calmly hand him your logbook and pen. Let him tell you how awesome he is as he signs it. When he hands it back, ask if he thinks you could ever become as awesome as him. He will sign your book every day from now on.

All the answers above seem acceptable to me. :)
I'll be glad to sign if you need me to.

I've never seen a really close examination of signatures in any log book when it comes time to get licenses and ratings, etc. I don't even get mine signed anymore, but they are accepted when I go to DZs that want to check my currency.
:)

jumpgump

Is it okay/acceptable to ask the load organizer or someone in manifest to sign my logbook?

Yes. Perfectly so.

My preferences (in order):

Load organizer or most experienced jumper in the group*

Anyone in the group*

Pilot**

Manifest or anyone who can verify that I jumped (like someone I sat next to on the plane).

Myself (it is legal according to USPA)

No sig. About 10% of my logbook is unsigned.

First * - If I'm making several jumps with the same group, I will get sigs from different people, not the same one every time.

Second ** - Pilot is a legal sig, but getting it can be a bit difficult unless there's a weather hold or you wait until the end of the day. I've never gotten a "no", but I've gotten "not now, catch me later".
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

DiverMike

You are absolutely right. I need to tone it back a bit. My OCD kicks in when I see grammar errors that have a material affect** on the interpretation of the regulation.

**effect.

Sorry, I had to, I couldn't control it.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Once I tried to get someone to sign my book back a couple of hundred jumps. (I logged all my jumps but never made the effort to ask people to sign off until after about a few hundred jumps).

Think it may have been a tall order, he signed back about 20 jumps. :P

grantunderland

Packing for Nationals, "Oh, honey. So. I haven't logged since we started training. Mind signing these 200 jumps quick so they'll let me register?"

Evil. :D
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Wait for the end of the day and case out where the TI's hang out after the beer light comes on. Make a mental note of which TI also did an AFF jump in the morning. Wait until they've cracked a beer open and then hold out your log book out in your non dominant hand. Say their name awkwardly, wait for them to turn and gesture very slightly with your logbook. Be prepared to give chase and tackle!

grantunderland

Packing for Nationals, "Oh, honey. So. I haven't logged since we started training. Mind signing these 200 jumps quick so they'll let me register?"

Pretty much. But we were in the car on the way up B|

Level up: Not even the first time!
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?