samblack

Logbook Etiquette

Hi guys,

My instructor told me to keep good logbook records and to get a signature from someone (that has an A license) after every single jump. Here's the thing. I'm new to the dropzone (and to skydiving!) so aside from bugging the instructors every jump (who may or may not have jumped on the last run) I don't have anyone to ask. Oh... and I'm shy :$

Is there any etiquette to asking folks for a signature? I don't want to annoy people or purpetrate a social fopaux or anything.

Thanks!
Justin

Please use the following conversation template when approaching someone on the dropzone for a signature:

You: "Hi! Can you please sign my logbook?"

Them: "Sure no problem."
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

What they said. You might also want to start with "Hi, I'm Justin..." then ask. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Weather holds are perfect for logbook catch up.

Lots of license holders hanging around grousing about the weather need a change of pace anyway.

Pick the big crowd of jumpers, bring your book, introduce yourself, and be polite - they will catch you up!

You may have to put up with the endless explanations of why people don't log anymore, etc. but you will get your mission accomplished.

I don't recommend leaving it laying around though . . . you may get some sigs you don't want ;)

Arrive Safely

John

Most jumpers are more than happy to sign a logbook, so don't be afraid to ask. I find A and B license jumpers get the biggest kick out of doing it!

Also, try and ask people that were on the load with you or saw you actually jump. I hate having to take someone's word for it! It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I don't believe anyone!;)

Jump more, post less!

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I should have seen the obvious replies coming but I didn't mean to ask literally "what words do I use to get someone to sign my logbook." What I meant was, is it okay to continually ask folks to sign my book or is that considered annoying?

I take it from the computer person perspective. If you ask me once or twice to fix your computer... okay, no problem! The 4th or 5th time you ask? Get lost, you're annoying me... ya know?

Pretty much nobody minds being asked to sign your logbook.

If your jump numbers are right you should be jumping w/ instructors or coaches most of the time and they should be signing your log book.

Once you get your A license you should be jumping with other people a lot of the time and you can ask them to sign your log book.

I realize you said you are an introvert but this is a social sport--ask people to sign your book, ask how their jumps went that day, make some friends.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

samblack

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I should have seen the obvious replies coming but I didn't mean to ask literally "what words do I use to get someone to sign my logbook." What I meant was, is it okay to continually ask folks to sign my book or is that considered annoying?

I take it from the computer person perspective. If you ask me once or twice to fix your computer... okay, no problem! The 4th or 5th time you ask? Get lost, you're annoying me... ya know?

Remember, they need their logbooks signed, too; so once you get your license they can hit you up to sign theirs.

Just have an explanation ready why someone named Sam Black calls himself Justin. ;)

samblack

Thanks for the replies.

It doesn't work that way. You aren't asking them to fix the same problem over and over again. You aren't asking them to fix something you should know how to fix yourself.

If you are doing solos, anyone on the plane is a good choice.
"Anyone" can also include the pilot.
Obviously, you don't want to do that until the plane is stopped; but weather holds, end of day, or shutdowns between loads if it isn't too busy are all options.

For someone who isn't too outgoing, it's actually a good way to force yourself to reach out and meet people.
There may be a few jerks who do it grudgingly, but you don't have to ask them again.
Try not to focus too hard on the cute women. :P

Most people don't mind. I'm always happy to do it.
As was said, once you are jumping with other people, you usually will end up doing the "log book hand around" after the jump.
"Hey, will you sign my log book?" "Yeah, will you sign mine?"
If I'm doing several jumps with the same group, I try to get everyone in the group to sign eventually.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Also, it's perfectly OK to ask someone to sign more than one jump in a sitting. Easier for them, easier for you.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Absolutely needed this thread. At my home DZ, I just ask a friendly face because I know everybody there, but when I recently visited a big new (to me) DZ, I had no idea who to ask. I kept getting on loads with a mix of sky gods, who wouldn't give me a backward glance on the ground, and tandem instructors who were busy with their students after the jump. I tried to get the attention of a couple of guys from my load, but they were working and too busy to hear my, "Excuse me? Would you mind signing my log book?". Luckily a nice fellow smiled and signed it for me cheerfully, but I didn't realize that it was "kosher" since he wasn't on the load. I took the signature, but felt like I'd cheated. Apparently not!

Additionally-- In 50 years you will wish you had written more, gotten more signatures, and logged every single jump. Write down tail numbers of the airplanes. It is fun to look them up on the net and see where they are now.

Write down peripheral things about the jump, and the day, and the trip itself. You cannot write too much, and you will thank yourself for it, eventually. Write about the food, the bad exits, the noise, cold airplanes, the nice things that happened, and the scary things.

Write about climbing out the door and realizing the seat belt was still connected to your leg strap. Write about taking out the formation. Write about falling in love with people, places, and things to do.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

who wouldn't give me a backward glance on the ground,

This isn't the main point of the thread, but I wanted to comment on this...

Nicky: it's either of 2 things: these skygods were complete assholes (which I doubt); or maybe they were training and were focused on the ground / in the plane.

If they were training (or focused for whatever reason), they would be happy to sign your logbook later when they are less busy. I do not know anyone who would say no if asked, if they have the time.

If they really were assholes, time to find a new dropzone to visit if you visit that area again! :)
Remster

Nicky: it's either of 2 things: these skygods were complete assholes (which I doubt); or maybe they were training and were focused on the ground / in the plane.

There was definitely a cliquey atmosphere with the super elite jumpers there, and the working jumpers were understandably busy doing their own thing. There were some lovely fun jumpers (with whom I was not able to jump since I'm only a student) who wanted to include me and were super fun and friendly, so it wasn't a whole DZ atmosphere or anything, just luck of the draw on my solo load. And like I said, I thought that I *had* to get somebody from my load to sign the book. But I didn't want to disturb the tandem instructors who were busy working with their students and the sky gods were too cool for school. I'm a friendly happy outgoing person, but knowing that it doesn't absolutely have to be somebody from my load is a good bit of knowledge and would have made that afternoon less stressful -- the jump was easy, but finding somebody to sign my book? Not so much!

As a newer jumper, I tried to collect as many different signatures as I could. After a while, it got to be just logging the jump took effort. But if going to a boogie required having your logbook checked, many a time my girlfriend and I exchanged logbooks and signed a shitload of each other's jumps.

Now I am 800 jumps since I last logged.[:/]

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Hi Sam,
Log em' and get em' signed. Nobody but assholes mind signing logs so blow em' off and get someone else to sign. Daze gone by after jumping we'd organize a "Dinner Load" to a near by eatery. eveyone would bring their logs and fill em' out and pass them around the table to get signed. Good fun!! It was 08May 1964 when I made my first jump. Do the math on how long ago. I've logged "ALL" my jumps! I have them all together in an old shoe box. Grab one, any one. Just open it to any page and read the remarks. Yeah, we did that!!! You will remember.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

"Hey, can I get you to sign my log book?" ………. "Hi, I'm Justin..." then ask………….. Most jumpers are more than happy to sign a logbook, so don't be afraid to ask. ………….. Additionally-- In 50 years you will wish you had written more, gotten more signatures, and logged every single jump. Write down tail numbers of the airplanes. It is fun to look them up on the net and see where they are now. ……….. Nicky: it's either of 2 things: these skygods were complete assholes (which I doubt); or maybe they were training and were focused on the ground / in the plane. ………….. I would remind you to make sure you provide the pen.

This just about covers it.

I learned to jump at a DZ that had the current World Champions and more than a hand full of other icons of the sport. Never once was I refused a signature. As was mentioned before, pick a good time, introduce yourself and ask their name. I have never heard a jumper say he wished he/she had not taken the time to log so much.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals