Perris DC-9 Jet status?

From their website on 3/18/16: Douglas DC9-21: The Douglas DC9 was another first not only for Perris but the world. It is the only privately owned commercial transport category Twin Jet aircraft that you can jump from in the world. The airplane is currently in storage and refit but will be back in the air before too long. It is able to take 80 jumpers in full airline comfort to 13500′ AGL I n a well appointed cabin with normal airline seats in 4 minutes. This is an amazing airplane that was specifically modified by Perris for this role and used successfully.

Are they really refitting it for future use? This website says it has been sold: http://www.moodypas.com/pistons/dc-9-21/

I know the plane had one calendar expired engine (not operating hours expired). A JT8D-11 OH is very expensive. What a shame that the FAA can time out this engine by the calendar rather than just operating hours/cycles.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

What a shame that the FAA can time out this engine by the calendar rather than just operating hours/cycles.

Unless the FAA issues an AD that sets a Life Limit it is the manufacture that sets all Life Limits.

And the only reason the FAA would issue an AD concerning the limit to an engine or its components would be if a failure/s occurred do to time/days in service.

It doesn't look like anyone has touched the plane in years... I wouldn't hold my breath.

It would be cool to see it fly again but since it's been sitting for around 10 years or so the probability seems low without a huge influx of time and money to get it legal again.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

mattjw916

It doesn't look like anyone has touched the plane in years... I wouldn't hold my breath.

It would be cool to see it fly again but since it's been sitting for around 10 years or so the probability seems low without a huge influx of time and money to get it legal again.

I think it was December 2007 when I jumped it (and I think it stopped flying a few months later), so not quite that long...but close.

I use my skydiving t-shirts for workouts most of the time. The one I used last night, which isn't going to last much longer since it's worn out, happens to be the Perris 2007 Christmas Boogie t-shirt. It has a pic of the jet on it and was when I did my DC-9 jump. I think it shut down some time in 2008 a few months later.

One of my most favorite jumps was from the Jet at the unconventional boogie. One of the few jumps I actually wore a camera https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wipjFDpvOGE

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

I have a better video. Look on You tube: DC9 jump Rantoul

This was in 2006, the last year of the WFFC. I jumped it twice. I am the guy in green jumpsuit doing a 4 way several points.

But I have also jumped twice the Boeing 727 at Quincy Illinois in 1992 and 1998
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Oh I'm sure there is better video. my video is the second jump I wore a camera the first was the ballon jump I made at the boogie the 3rd a helicopter at the boogie and my last was another ballon jump at the boogie. After downloding and trying to edit them I said screw this. Not my cup of Tea and didn't jump it again. :) I am happy with my shots of the exits. Loved going out first love that shot. Brings it all back everytime.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

No problem, the video DC9 jump Rantoul was actually edited from 2 different cameramans who were on the 4Way with me. First jump from that airpalne was a 10 way (we got 9) and the second was the 4way.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

erdnarob

I have a better video. Look on You tube: DC9 jump Rantoul

This was in 2006, the last year of the WFFC. I jumped it twice. I am the guy in green jumpsuit doing a 4 way several points.

But I have also jumped twice the Boeing 727 at Quincy Illinois in 1992 and 1998

Yep. I jumped the jet at Rantoul in 06 as well. Last year of the convention...
__

My mighty steed