megamalfunction

Anyone Ever Take a Long Planned Break from Skydiving?

I've been skydiving for ten years now, having made my first jump (a tandem) when I was 18. Two years later I made my first solo jump, and last year made my first wingsuit jumps. I've always planned to be a "lifer", but a few weeks ago I became a father and last week my wife had a stroke. She is currently incapacitated. I don't think I'll be able to take care of my wife and child while still keeping up my skydiving habit. Obviously, I'm having a hard time with my wife's serious medical condition. But I'm also having a hard time with giving up skydiving. It has become apart of my identity. Has anyone else ever gone through something like this before?

The year is young and your family needs you right now. skyfriends will always be there when you get back to the sport. I left my home DZ and didn't show up for 2 years, then stopped in for a jump and it was like I never left. I would say be with your family right now and make sure everything is good with them. There is nothing saying you can't pop in for a couple of jumps here and there in the summer. depending on how your home DZ is you could even ask someone to hold the baby when you go for a jump. Skydivers are good people and i'm sure you have some really close friends out there. Its not like those friendships will be lost if they see you once every two months for a bit.

Good luck with everything and congratulations on the new baby.
live and let live

Well put.
I took 13 years off; it wasn't planned, but it wasnt hard or unnatural either. Grow ups assign priorities to things.
And yes, it's perfectly ok to use skydiving as a respite activity sometimes, but depending on how you jump now, it may not be a satisfying one.

Good luck to you; your plate is quite full, isn't it?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I stopped for 9 years. I also took up paragliding but crashed and injured my back. In that time I moved a bunch of times, found a wonderful woman, married her, had a son and now in the last two weeks I have taken up skydiving again. My son is 3 and its great to have him come watch. The people at the DZ are very welcoming and helpful. IF you need to take a break its not a bad thing. Gravity isn't going anywhere.

wmw999

Well put.
I took 13 years off; it wasn't planned, but it wasnt hard or unnatural either. Grow ups assign priorities to things.
And yes, it's perfectly ok to use skydiving as a respite activity sometimes, but depending on how you jump now, it may not be a satisfying one.

Exactly this.

I jumped for 10 years and haven't jumped since Feb 2012. Occasionally I have skydiving dreams, but that's about all. I don't miss it enough to get back into it again right now.

I've also found several other hobbies and priorities since stopping, all of which have been extremely worthwhile.

Life is not skydiving.

Being in the military I've had a couple of forced layoffs of 2 years or more. It will drive you crazy the first month or 2, I think because of the adrenaline withdrawal but thats just my own pet theory. After that it gets easier. I've also found that after a couple years you may question whether its worth going back to. I've always started again but it gives you long enough to question whether the game is worth the possible consequences and the cost. Take the time off and get things in order. You'll feel better for doing that no matter what decision you end up making.

Congrats on the baby. Thoughts and prayers for you and your wife.To answer your question, yes 3, but always new I would be back.Like someone said gravity will all ways suck!

Growing up on a DZ, it is part of my fabric. The first lay off was after my first 2 jumps(s/l 1985) at 16, dad was JM, he wanted me to start paying for them,the nerve.First lay off.

Fast forward to 2000 making good money, and dads old partner is hired to re-open the DZ in 29 palms. I laid insulation for 6 months in his hangar to lesson the price of my aff program. After 4 weekends and 5 jumps not enough business to stay open.Layoff #2

2003 I show up at Elsinore, which has been my home DZ since, but I took about a 1 year layoff in 2013 until I could get an AAD in my rig.

You can always stop by your DZ just to say hi and show off the baby.
Best wishes to you and your family.

jimjumper

Being in the military I've had a couple of forced layoffs of 2 years or more. It will drive you crazy the first month or 2, I think because of the adrenaline withdrawal but thats just my own pet theory. After that it gets easier. I've also found that after a couple years you may question whether its worth going back to. I've always started again but it gives you long enough to question whether the game is worth the possible consequences and the cost. Take the time off and get things in order. You'll feel better for doing that no matter what decision you end up making.

I have only been jumping 4 years but I would guess if I am ever off for more than a few months I will be doing something else and not come back. But for now I am making the most of it because I am 58 and figure I don't have but a few years before the old body would rather take an easier path. Right now I can keep up with most youngsters jump pace....for now.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Bummer man!
The up side is that I every day I see stroke survivors walking around town. I also see former babies walking around town.
I have been skydiving for almost 40 years now, but had to spend 2014 on the ground because of knee surgery. I visited the DZ and kept my hands busy rigging.
As soon as the surgeon cleared my knee to resume jumping, I did a handful of solo jumps then promptly started training a pair of new TIs.

Would love to chat more, but today is the first sunny Saturday morning of the year. Gotta go to the DZ ..... to do some rigging .... yeah ..... rigging .....

>Has anyone else ever gone through something like this before?

We're going through something like this now. We have a 4 year old and an 18 month old. After the first kid we didn't slow down too much (both of us still did Nationals before his first birthday) but after the second we had to slow down. I am now doing a few jumps a year just for fun and to stay current. I figure we have 2-3 years until we can start jumping regularly again.

megamalfunction

I've been skydiving for ten years now, having made my first jump (a tandem) when I was 18. Two years later I made my first solo jump, and last year made my first wingsuit jumps. I've always planned to be a "lifer", but a few weeks ago I became a father and last week my wife had a stroke. She is currently incapacitated. I don't think I'll be able to take care of my wife and child while still keeping up my skydiving habit. Obviously, I'm having a hard time with my wife's serious medical condition. But I'm also having a hard time with giving up skydiving. It has become apart of my identity. Has anyone else ever gone through something like this before?

I took 14 years off and returned to the sport.

I'm just returning again from nearly 4 years off
__

My mighty steed