awdordie

tips for a new AFF student

awdordie

they changed my lock wave and pull altitudes by 1k ft. They raised them to 7, 6.5, 6 from the cat a jump of 6, 5.5, 5. Is this normal?

Not ever done where I jump. I'd love to hear their reasons why. We do lock @ 6, wave-and-pull @ 5.5. If I don't trust someone to pull at 5.5, I don't take them up.

Door opens and im focused on everything I did wrong on my cat a jump.

Bad idea. Never sit on the plane and dwell on what you did wrong on the last jump. Always use your free time on the plane to visualize your next jump, over and over again, going smoothly, perfectly, in slow motion; at regular speed. Mentally rehearse your dive flow over and over, thinking of how the wind will feel and what you'll see as you do everything perfectly.

This visualization thing isn't just for beginners. Experienced jumpers, including world champions (I knew a fewB|) use this technique extensively. :)

Might be due to having a different two instructors with the altitude? I have been going over the dive before and on the ride up. It helps a ton.

Update update update:

Made it out today for my cat c jump. Once again sat around on weather holds. Finally got my jump in. Nerves are gone now on the ride up. Focused on the exit and dive. There was a few tandem masters getting instructor ratings I believe so they went out first acting like they didnt know what they were doing and the other was suppose to act like the aff instructor. Acting was horrible so I took what they did right on their exit and used it. Perfect exit. Got stable, coa, practise pull, coa, next thing I know I see an instructor backslide away, then the other slides around quartered to me. Started a slow unintentional right spin, applied some counter input and stafted to spin in the opposite direction... it wasnt violent just a really slow spin, so slow in fact instructors didnt come in. At 7 locked on and stopped spinning was very stable in fact, waved and pulled at 6.

Canopy deploys has two line twists with a slow left hand turn. Clear the twist and canopy goes into a left hand spin hard and fast. Grabbed toggles and flared twice while looking to see the problem. I was focused on the canopy and thought why is it doing this when its square and no line broke or over, and then I notice the slider halfway down and at an angle. Applied opposite input to make the canopy fly straight to better asses the situation and I was constantly checking altitude. By 4500 I realized I wasnt coming down under that canopy and chopped it. Before doing so I kept the right toggle pulled down a bit to keep somewhat stable position for cutaway so I wasnt in a downward spiral but let go of the toggle before cutting away. Reserve came out nice and easy few line twist nothing major. Thing flew like crap compared to what is a normal main, but it flew and thats all that matters.

Training kicked in and ill be back next weekend. Im bringing beer and from what I was told I owe a bottle of liquor to the guy who saved my life. Jump number 4 and my first cutaway is under my belt. Hopefully no more for a while.

Tell me about it. Everyone at the dz says they are common but im getting them every jump except my second cat b. The resrve line twist would be expected i would think as when I cutaway i was in a spin already. The rest im sure is my horrible body positioning. I really need to work on getting my left hand out in front more on pull and then remembering that deployment is not an instantanious deal and that I need to hold good body position until deployment since its arch reach pull arch and not arch reach pull and forget about it. Ill get it eventually I hope.