jonjonson

looking at your ripcord??

bare in mind i am a student....

I have turned to my right side at pull time because i drop my should and don't grab enough wind with my left arm and i drop my head. I was thinking on my next jump, I will not look at the ripcord so i don't drop my shoulder.

my count might sound like
arch 1 arch 2 reach 3 look 4 pull 5

is this a bad idea????

Please see here:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2216125#2216125

You really do need to have a detailed discussion with your instructors. They're the ones whose job it is to teach you the basics and keep you safe. The internet is a terrible substitute for that when you're a new student at something in which the consequences of a mistake can be lethal.

I was taugh to look at my ripcord, then reach, then pull.

I was trained on a ripcord also; arch, look, reach, pull, check. I'm not sure if I actually saw the rip cord.

We don't use that type of student equipment anymore because you will have to be retrained on a throw-out pilot chute.

Talk to your instructors. They should have some "hot tips" for you.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

The look portion of the Arch Reach Look Pull sequence should be removed. It's a wonder there are still instructors teaching that part.

Hand Mount altimeters should have replaced chest mounts by now as well.

Arch Reach Pull should be taught. When you look, it often breaks the body postions. Think of this... Arch look, barrel roll, pull. Within a month of recieving my AFF rating, the *Look* was removed and there was a vast improvement in the students pull sequence.

Soon after, we got rid of the chest mounts and went to hand mounts and students quit breaking the arch to read it.

As for the pull sequence. The cutaway handle is in plain view when performing the look portion of the sequence. You don't pull the cutaway first so why look at it? You can't see the rip cord very easily anyway, so why bother?

When it's time to cutaway, that's when you look at it.

Do whatever your instructor teaches but it's my opinion, backed by most of the world, that trying to look at the ripcord hurts more than helps.

"Don't let progress get in the way of tradition" I always say.

Looking at the ripcord and using a chest mount, is tradition.

(Quote modified from a Military friend of mine... "Don't let progress get in the way of 100 years of tradition")
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I was taugh to look at my ripcord, then reach, then pull.

Then this is what you should do. If you have any questions about it, go to your instructor. That is what you are paying him/her for.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

it is a ripcord, it is on my chest on the harness.

I was taught on this style system, but as the cut of the rigs placed the ripcord handle low on my chest it would have seriously broken my arch to see it. I just learned to know the handle by feel.

I believe the seeing the handles is a good idea but should not be relied upon. There will come a day when your goggles slip or something else keeps you from seeing them. (I also teach pilots to practice both ways as they usually will not see the handle without goggles.) My $.02 is to practice both ways.

HOWEVER, I AM NOT YOUR instructor, talk to him/her/them about ANY advice you read here.

Blue ones,
Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Your left hand should swing to your center line for balance. That is the best way to solve your stability problem.
Practice that on the ground, several more times with your instructor before jumping again.

You might also want to develop a "deliberate groping" method (i.e. slide your right hand up the harness until you feel the handle).

Oh, and take any advice on this forum with a grain of salt.

Arch look reach pull is the old way.

Now all contianers are BOC/throught out OR PUD/pull out deployment. Both are located on the Bottom of the contianer. Hence BOC. Looking for something you cannot see is pointless.

Our school teaches Arch, Reach, PUll!
When the student switches to Pull out from Spring loaded ripcords. He has never heard the word look for is main deployment secquence.

However our school teaches two handed EP's which teaches the student to LOOK for E-handles.

On another note I was trained on the S/L method and Arch look reach pull was the way I was trained.
I would arch all I had and drop my pherfical vision (move only your eyeballs) to see under my arm on my right side "looking for that little orange pvc handle. Good luck.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Now all contianers are BOC/throught out OR PUD/pull out deployment.

It may be the old way but all deployment devices are not on the BOC.

it is a ripcord, it is on my chest on the harness.

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Try looking by tipping your head to the right, and looking out of the corner of your eye, instead of tipping your head down (chin to chest). Also, a small turn at pull time is not a big deal, not like tumbling or a true flat spin. Soon you'll be able to counter any minor turn with your legs or free arm, very naturally. I find that most people use their legs to stay on heading when they pull, but hardly know they are doing it.

Make sure, also, that only your head moves when you look. Many people, when they look for the handle, bend at the shoulders and waist, breaking their arch. That is the cause of many unstable deployments.

Try looking by tipping your head to the right, and looking out of the corner of your eye, instead of tipping your head down (chin to chest). Also, a small turn at pull time is not a big deal, not like tumbling or a true flat spin. Soon you'll be able to counter any minor turn with your legs or free arm, very naturally. I find that most people use their legs to stay on heading when they pull, but hardly know they are doing it.

Make sure, also, that only your head moves when you look. Many people, when they look for the handle, bend at the shoulders and waist, breaking their arch. That is the cause of many unstable deployments.

On the other hand, some of us (even guys) are built such that seeing an out-board MLW handle is hard without breaking their arch... and ROL or BOC... (for me) forget it... not until we install rear-view-mirrors ;)

Jim

(And I still believe that even if you like to look, you should also be able to find, identify, and pull all handles by feel even when the harness has shifted. Makes it easier when the cause of your emergency also included a bloody nose or loss of goggles.... just a thought...)
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...