ramblinwreck

Skydiving Saved My Life

Great story and very well written :)

I am also a recovering alcoholic. I just celebrated 20 years clean and sober a couple weeks ago and one thing that my time has shown me is that quite simply, my life sober is FAR more rewarding than it ever was when I drank.

Skydiving is definitely one of the things that has elevated my life to the "beyond my wildest dreams" category.

Incidentally, nobody ever batted an eye that I don't get involved in all the beer crap. I crossed the beer line once at CK and I bought root beer. Nobody complained ;)

Keep coming back :)
__

My mighty steed

I think skydiving has saved a lot of people from destructive behaviors. A friend swears it kept her sane during her divorce, and it got me through a breakup and work stress as well. Whether it's heartache or headache, a day at the DZ erases all of my distracting, harmful thoughts, because I have to focus on the very important task ahead of me.

Thanks for sharing your story--it made me choke up a bit. A handful of people at my DZ don't drink, and they bring in sodas, seltzer, or flat water for the staff when they owe "beer." No one complains and I think for a lot of people it's a nice change--let's face it, most DZs operate in hot areas during hot times of the year, and you can't hydrate with beer while you're jumping.
I'm not a lady, I'm a skydiver.

I have always said, skydiving saves more lives than it takes. If you take one season and ask around on just one DZ, you'll probably find more people who will say it saved them than there are fatalities in all of USPA that same season. So many of us feel as though we probably would have ended up dead, in jail, wayward & lost, drugged or drunk all the time... By any definition, a downward trajectory. I include myself. Skydiving... my savior. Can I get an 'Amen'?

AMEN !!!!!!!!!

Its what been keeping me going for the past couple of years. Didnt had any adictions (except for buying new gear), but i know that if it wasnt for skydiving i would have been a totally different person and it wouldnt have been a nice person.

My advice normally to non-skydivers that say "i dont feel worthy" or "i cant carry on with life anymore the way it is", is come experience skydiving and you will see your whole view on life will change.

ChrisL

Great story and very well written :)

I am also a recovering alcoholic. I just celebrated 20 years clean and sober a couple weeks ago and one thing that my time has shown me is that quite simply, my life sober is FAR more rewarding than it ever was when I drank.

Skydiving is definitely one of the things that has elevated my life to the "beyond my wildest dreams" category.

Incidentally, nobody ever batted an eye that I don't get involved in all the beer crap. I crossed the beer line once at CK and I bought root beer. Nobody complained ;)

Keep coming back :)

High praise for those like you that know they have a problem and have properly addressed it. I have a family member that sadly is still suffering.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”