1 1
headoverheels

California governor recall election

Well, we have a jungle rules recall election coming up in 4 weeks.  For the non-natives, there are two questions.

1.  Should the governor be recalled?

2.  If 1 passes, who should be elected?

There are ~46 people running, and only a plurality is required to win, so in theory someone could win with 3% of the vote.  It seems unlikely to be more than 20% for the winner. 

The field of candidates is by and large weak, and the forerunner says that there should be no minimum wage, that employers should ask potential female hires when they might get pregnant, and is a climate change denier.  There is no way that electing any of the 46 will be an overall improvement.

On a lighter note, here is one candidate getting served with a subpoena during a debate:

Edited by headoverheels
punctuation

(edited)
3 hours ago, ryoder said:

Well, that is just insane. Ranked voting and/or runoff elections were invented for a reason.

I agree. When I lived in Oakland they had ranked choice voting for mayor and I’m in favor of it.

Arnold was already governor when I moved to California in 2004 so I didn’t participate in the last recall but now that another is here I think the whole process is ludicrous. In the mad desire to get a simple majority to vote yes on the recall, the other side’s strategy is to encourage as many candidates as possible to enter, regardless of qualifications.

It’s a real race to the bottom IMO

Edited by murps2000
To correct terminology

3 hours ago, DougH said:

You reap what you sow. The citizens of California have enabled this asinine process.

Does anyone know what the approximate cost is to the state and municipalities to administer these recall elections?

I have no idea what total cost is but it’s even more of a waste in this case because Newsom is running for re-election just over a year from now. If the Rs had a seriously viable candidate they could just wait until then. But they don’t. They’re throwing a bunch of candidates at the election and hoping someone will stick. They’re also likely counting on lower enthusiasm among dem voters to affect turnout.

I got my ballot in the mail last week and it will be in the local 24 hour drop box this weekend. It’s nice to live in a state that doesn’t place restrictions on that kind of thing. I might drop it off at 2am just to flex on Texas.

8 hours ago, ryoder said:

Well, that is just insane. Ranked voting and/or runoff elections were invented for a reason.

Are you aware of how simple the process is for amending the Cali state Constitution?

There's lots of cool stuff in California.
The political process is NOT on that list.

14 hours ago, headoverheels said:

Well, we have a jungle rules recall election coming up in 4 weeks.  For the non-natives, there are two questions.

1.  Should the governor be recalled?

2.  If 1 passes, who should be elected?

There are ~46 people running, and only a plurality is required to win, so in theory someone could win with 3% of the vote.  It seems unlikely to be more than 20% for the winner. 

The field of candidates is by and large weak, and the forerunner says that there should be no minimum wage, that employers should ask potential female hires when they might get pregnant, and is a climate change denier.  There is no way that electing any of the 46 will be an overall improvement.

On a lighter note, here is one candidate getting served with a subpoena during a debate:

Hi heels,

Re:  we have a jungle rules recall election coming up in 4 weeks. 

IMO that it will be.  Elder’s ex-fiancee said he brandished a gun at her - POLITICO

And he is the front runner.  Should make a great governor.

Question:  Can the GOP get any nuttier?

Film at 11,

Jerry Baumchen

13 hours ago, DougH said:

You reap what you sow. The citizens of California have enabled this asinine process.

Does anyone know what the approximate cost is to the state and municipalities to administer these recall elections?

About $2.5m was the figure I’ve heard bandied around.

It’s bullshit.

(edited)
14 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

Typo?   $215M is the lowest estimate I have seen.

Holy shit. 

Yeah, that was a figure I thought I heard - I was obviously wrong! Thanks for the quick correction.

It looks like the cost might have been 'finalized' at $276m!

Wow. Great use of taxpayer money guys. *golfclap

Edited by yoink

1 hour ago, billvon said:

I will bet a case of good beer (in my case, North Park beer) that the GOP is already planning a "but they cheated!" whine.  I wouldn't be surprised if the mailers have been printed and are ready to mail.

It's not really a bet when it's already happened.

Fox News: The only thing that will save Gavin Newsom is voter fraud

Elder: Election full of shenanigans, "We're going to file a lawsuit in a timely fashion this time"

7 minutes ago, jakee said:

Hi jakee,

And, it would seem that Larry Elder is not as popular as he would like:  Larry Elder attacked by egg-throwing agitators in Los Angeles (msn.com)

Maybe he should try omelets instead of scrambled eggs.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi folks,

Well, our National Idiot is at it again:  Trump is already claiming the California recall is rigged - POLITICO

'the election to recall Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom is “probably rigged,'

Remember the old question:  If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one present, does it make a sound?

If Trump does not actually say anything ( probably not a possibility ) is he still stupid?

Jerry Baumchen

4 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Well, our National Idiot is at it again:  Trump is already claiming the California recall is rigged - POLITICO

'the election to recall Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom is “probably rigged,'

Remember the old question:  If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one present, does it make a sound?

If Trump does not actually say anything ( probably not a possibility ) is he still stupid?

Jerry Baumchen

Trump? Wasn't he your May 15, 2021 forgotten person?