JerryBaumchen

Sayings From Our Youth

Hi folks,

On a Facebook thread about Post Something Your Dad Told You, my daughter posted:  Always be proud of the person you see in the mirror.

So, that got me to thinking about other things that I remember from my youth; so here goes:

-  The story of my life is A Day Late and a Dollar Short

-  The story of my life is Too Lazy to Work and Too Scared to Steal

-  And lastly; You Would Complain if They Hung You With a New Rope

OK, what have you?

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen

My mother would say “I’ll rip ofF your arm and beat you to death with the bloody stump.” Since the stump is generally considered to be what’s still attached to the body, I always found that confusing. 
Another favorite was “many hands make light work.”

Wendy P. 

"Stop crying, or I'll give you a reason to cry". when my little brother or me were whining.

Having said that, I can only remember one single instance when my mom actually did smack me. Once, on the behind. I also clearly remember that my shock was infinitely greater than the actual physical contact.

And boy - had I earned it. 

Why my grandmother needed the kids to fetch her things instead of getting them herself: "I have a bone in my leg!"  By age 7 I was brave enough to tell her, "that's good, Grandma, you're supposed to have bones in your leg.  Which means you are able to stand and walk!"