eddieprice

Deployment issue please help!

Hey all! So I have about 30 something jumps on a 150 Pilot ZPX in a 135 Wings container. My last two jumps have been scary af. The second last one after throwing my pilot chute out it took about 5 seconds for the bag to come out. This last jump it took about 7 seconds and scared me the most because I was watching others to my side pull after me and then they were under canopy as I continued falling. The similarity between the two jumps is that it was packed by the same packer. Also, some people have suggested that my closing loop may be a bit too tight as my canopy is in a 135 container. I don't think this is the case cause I haven't had this problem before. The obvious answer is that the pilot chute wasn't cocked, but I know that it was because I ALWAYS check as my dad had a near death experience with a pilot chute incident. Does anyone know what is happening? Please let me know.

Blue Skies

I don't think there's any way for anyone to diagnose the issue without examining the gear, but two things that come to mind are: (1) your pilot chute is getting old and needs to be replaced; and/or (2) either your toss is lazy, or somehow the pilot chute is making it into your burble for a bit, before clearing and extracting the bag.

Pack as you normally would and have a rigger gound deploy it in slow mo. If that doesn't disclose the issue, have someone video an opening or two.

My money is on not enought bridle slack between pin and stowing the excess bridle but it could be almost anything without hands on the gear.

I replace mine every time I get a new canopy or new lineset. I change them every 300-400 jumps and that seems to keep me ahead of the curve.

Seems like many people keep them way too long. They may still "work" but increase the odds of several deployment problems ranging from what the OP is talking about, to linetwists and malfunctions caused by "lazy" pull force getting your canopy to line stretch. I know many people (including myself) who have greatly improved their openings just by putting a new and properly sized PC on their canopy.

Again- Not a rigger. Consult your manufacture or rigger.

possibilities.....:

worn out pilot chute

too small pilot chute

shrunken kill line, preventing full inflation of the pc

pitching into your burble...

thats about it... your closing loop, i can almost guarantee, is not the culprit. It needs to be tight... your pc, if in good working condition should pull well over 100lbs of force at 120mph... have a rigger help you... after packing, lay the rig on the ground, belly down, and pull on your bridle straight up until the pin releases. if your rig never comes off the floor all the way, then its not the issue. once that pops, see how much force it takes to extract the dbag from the container... shouldnt take much. the bag should be snug in there but not stuck.... if all this looks in order, then its 99% your pc assembly.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

After you throw your pc if you have hesitation, check over one shoulder to disrupt the airflow into your burble.

ody position is important too. Have someone video your deployment and watch the clip with an instructor (plan in advance to meet them with a beer and a video ready to go). The video will show you where you are throwing that pc, and then you can lay on the floor and practice a few times. If youre on the floor and im sitting at your shoulder facing you, throw it to hit me in the face. 10 min of instructor time, 10 min of rigger time looking at your gear, a beer for yourself, and there's still half a Sixpack (or half a pizza, whichever you want to bring) to go around. Problem solved.

Also: if you're counting seconds, count out loud. We count fast when we're excited or freaked out.

Had LOTS of pilot chute hesitations with my Wings container and the original pilot chute provided by Wings from the first year I had it. Once, on a CRW jump from 9500 feet, it did not open for 2000 feet! I was rocking and rolling trying to get it out, and I throw HARD every time. I finally got a precision pilot chute and have not had a problem since. Also recently I watched a friend have a pilot chute in tow for at least 1000 ft. (Got it on video.) Relatively new Wings container.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Alexg3265

possibilities.....:

worn out pilot chute

too small pilot chute

shrunken kill line, preventing full inflation of the pc

pitching into your burble...

The good news is: 3 out of these 4 can be verified and fixed on the ground before next jump.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

just had someone this past week have a 2 out because of a shrunken kill line and some creep in the line while packing... She has about 800-900 jumps ish and had a pilot chute in tow and went straight to reserve. the main then came out and inflated and was quickly separated and cut away. I happened to be on my way to the dz and saw this unfolding and was able to whip a u turn and pick up the main, and then locate the jumper who landed off. the emergency procedures were discussed and rectified but long story short, her kill line had shrunk and was too small and wasnt allowing the pilot chute to stay cocked. quick easy 15 min fix and good as new...
Stay on top of your gear and when you dont know, ask
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

It is a good thing to check your kill line - the "color" can show and still have the problem you remedied..

Alexg3265

the emergency procedures were discussed and rectified...

What was rectified about the EP's??

Previous PCIT Thread: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4521413;search_string=tow;#4521413

Edited - to add link.

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

eddieprice

Hey all! So I have about 30 something jumps on a 150 Pilot ZPX in a 135 Wings container. My last two jumps have been scary af. The second last one after throwing my pilot chute out it took about 5 seconds for the bag to come out. This last jump it took about 7 seconds and scared me the most because I was watching others to my side pull after me and then they were under canopy as I continued falling. The similarity between the two jumps is that it was packed by the same packer. Also, some people have suggested that my closing loop may be a bit too tight as my canopy is in a 135 container. I don't think this is the case cause I haven't had this problem before. The obvious answer is that the pilot chute wasn't cocked, but I know that it was because I ALWAYS check as my dad had a near death experience with a pilot chute incident. Does anyone know what is happening? Please let me know.

Blue Skies

Hey Eddie could you update us as to what the problem was? I'm really curious as to what it was.

No offense to your packer but I am done with others packing my gear. The few times I've paid a packer for a canopy which I HAD to pay for pack jobs as we jumped every 30mins on hop and pops, had a hard opening. Didn't quite expect this on a hop and pop and I had a pilot chute hesitation, I looked over my shoulder and TWACK! sucker opened fast! So I guess it could've been the packer or could've just been pure luck.

And then since I'm in a northern DZ I left the rig down there to have my reserve done, new lines and some work done to the container. I jump it this spring thinking well they packed my reserve so they must know how to pack a main, WROOOONGG!! had to land a step through!!

Either way though unless I know the person personally and trust them I'll be the only one packing my canopy from now on. But hey at least I got to feel what a hard opening is I guess and had all winter to heal lol.

Not sure what your situation is but I'd start packing my own until you nail down what the problem is.

radical_flyer

Free packed CRW rig at terminal?

No. On that jump we used sport rigs. (Stacks, no planes.) I gave up on the mesh sliders many years ago.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy