wmw999

Old rigs

Where do they go? I can't imagine too many of them are in the trash, unless they're from the 60's or 70's or something.

I know that my last container went to a school for cutaway practice; the main to a new up-jumper (and I don't know from there), and the reserve to a nephew who needed some decoration for his ceiling.

I know that when I tried to help a rigger friend sell some old components he had lying around a number of years ago he met with little success. So it's not like there's a huge market.

The thread on finding an old rig made me wonder. How many people here have all of their rigs sitting in the closet still, or at least significant numbers of rigs?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My business partner grumbles about all the bags full of old round, Rogallo and square parachutes laying around the loft. I label them as "rigger training aids."
Nothing quite like a faded, frayed, filthy, rusty old rig to reinforce the notion that 20 years is a reasonable service life.

Maybe a side business making re-usable grocery bags? :)
In all his or her ample spare time, of course

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Seems like the go to my basement.:S

Alot lately seem to in mice infested totes in the back of hanger and barns. It's very hard to through away any rig. But old Struggle,Struggle,Thumps are easier.B|

We had a woman around here in the 80's who made lined hooded jackets out of military canopies. Radial seem down the back and bias panels as chevrond in design. Very nice. Included stash pocket. I still have mine but way too big for it now.

Lately our DZ has taken a bunch of stuff to the dump. Good thing for my basement i wasn't there. But i had already gotten 4 or 5 bins with such wonders as a ragged out unit and strato cloud. (Anybody want them?)

Of course the rest of the old fear goes to likstojump to put on ebay.;)

But when i wanted a pop top reserve a few years ago i couldn't find any. Now finaly have two.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Seems like I can never sell my gear when it still has any value. Between me and my wife, 3-4 containers, 4-5 mains, but surprisingly only 1 round reserve. We loaned a round reserve we had stored to a guy that had just blown up his reserve (didn't get hurt just scared!) but he had it so long it was worthless and we told him to keep it. The one reserve I do have, a 28' Phantom, had the diaper change, then after a friend of mine blew one up, I had the kevlar mod done, and then it was on the acid mesh serial list and I just retired it. Looks real good all assembled in my old Warp3 with a Delta Cloud main, its about the size of a tandem!

How many bazillions of them are sitting in closets because their owners stopped jumping for whatever reason? They don't sell the rig because they're going to get back into the sport someday. And of course someday never comes.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I would love a Para Commander. I'll pay shipping if it holds air and is complete through the risers & toggles. B|

Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

I can't throw mine away......Sentiment

Specially not my very 1st rig, thats end of life now. Not even a single jump on the reserve, knots are still "crunchy".

My kid will probably bin it one day once I'm gone.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

I picked up an old rig many years ago (maybe '91 or '92) from a thrift shop or pawn shop. I think I paid 10 or 15 bucks just for the novelty. I remember it was very wet/damp, maybe having been stored in a basement or shed. Description from memory: I was told it was possibly a "Sodfarm" container, and was not TSOed. It has R2 releases. An old-time jumper (younger than I was, actually :S) called them "scare-2". I think the reserve was a Pioneer round that I gave away to the loft for water training aid, etc. I also gave away the Strato Star main. It still had rings but reefing had been converted to a slider. Most interesting to me was the PC bridle. IIRC, it was attached to cells 2 & 4 in inverted Y-shape and then to the PC. I still have the container.

I think they go to a small proportion of jumpers who hoard tremendous amounts of that material. I can think of 2 master riggers in the area with ~100 rigs piled in rooms and shelves and storage sheds, all labeled 'rigging training aids' that will never be used.
=========Shaun ==========

Unstable

I think they go to a small proportion of jumpers who hoard tremendous amounts of that material. I can think of 2 master riggers in the area with ~100 rigs piled in rooms and shelves and storage sheds, all labeled 'rigging training aids' that will never be used.

I haven't hit a hundred but I'm working on it.;) Anything airworthy at all I can't stand to see thrown away. And almost any rig has some teaching value.:) Even if it is whats wrong with it or why we don't do that anymore. I've got one that a master rigger, now deceased, cut the leg straps and spliced in a piece of webbing to make them longer. I have seen one source that said that was okay but not the way he stitched it.:S Then he hid it under the pad. I hand that one to folks for inspection practice.:o

Anybody want a free Unit? [:/]
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Mine are all stored away...nice and safe... ll the rounds we used at LP for water jumps.. lovingly dried out every year and stored in the back bedroom... Same with the belly warts.. till have a bunch of old squares and containers.... I should have a sale. seriously. Everyone wants them.. free of course.... not happenin... seen the price of that vintage stuff on eBay??
:ph34r:

councilman24

I've seen silly ASKING prices.:S Hopefully not sales prices.:|

So true. I can't tell you how many guys I've seen show up at the DZ with some rig that was really hot a decade back, wanting to sell it. It's tough when you tell them it's more suited for a museum. Happened a lot in the 80's when the big gear transition was finishing up. :S