TLD

Training harness

(edited)
On 8/5/2021 at 3:30 AM, TLD said:

Hi- anyone know if you can buy a training harness/vest. The one used to practice EP’s - with cut away and reserve handles? I wanted one to wear and practice with when not at the dropzone! 

A lot of manufactured training harnesses I see just aren't that accurate. Often the pilot chute is too high on your back, and with simple handles just velcro'd on, students often want to just grab and pull them in a manner that is not accurate and may not work so well in reality. A possible alternative that I would suggest is see if you can find an old out-of-service container that someone would sell cheap. You can put foam in the containers and tie them shut. But with the cutaway and reserve handles actually having cables routed into housings, that will give you a more accurate feel. Practice with an instructor to make sure you're doing the pulls accurately.

Edited by dudeman17
  • Like 1

i have an old notrhern lites container that i paid $100 i would sell for that, plus shipping.  i almost don't want to part with it since it looks like it's brand new, but the main part is too small to hold my canopy.  we were gonna use it for parasailing in the river but that never panned out. 

On 8/5/2021 at 5:30 AM, TLD said:

I wanted one to wear and practice with when not at the dropzone! 

I would encourage my students to come to the dropzone early and practice in lieu of having one at home. Personally, I wanted to see them doing it right. Part of my job was to ensure the muscle memory was properly developed. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I would encourage my students to come to the dropzone early and practice in lieu of having one at home. Personally, I wanted to see them doing it right. Part of my job was to ensure the muscle memory was properly developed

That is absolutely a valid point. It's why I said...

On 8/6/2021 at 3:08 PM, dudeman17 said:

Practice with an instructor to make sure you're doing the pulls accurately.

...but it bears reinforcing. On one hand, you certainly do not want to develop incorrect muscle memory, but on the other hand, the more practice, the more familiarity, the better the result. So if someone was to do this, they absolutely want to work with their instructors to make certain they are doing it correctly before practicing at home.

(Is the OP still reading this?)

(edited)

"practice vest"???

i know someone with a circa 2004 vector, complete with ragged out PD210 and pillow in the reserve container.

includes both handles

i'm sure he'd send to you for shipping costs.

located in san diego

Edited by kleggo