1 1
winsor

Basic Arithmetic

55 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

You've already demonstrated your close mindedness in other threads. I have better things to do.

That’s likely “closed.”

Your argument is about as compelling as any I am given to reject out of hand.

That makes ME closed minded?  If you say so…

29 minutes ago, winsor said:

That’s likely “closed.”

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages
Search for a wordsearch_grey600_24dp.png

close-minded

adjective
  1. having or showing rigid opinions or a narrow outlook.
    "close-minded condemnation of people he knows nothing about"

Made my point nicely I think .

1 hour ago, Stumpy said:
Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages
Search for a wordsearch_grey600_24dp.png

close-minded

adjective
  1. having or showing rigid opinions or a narrow outlook.
    "close-minded condemnation of people he knows nothing about"

Made my point nicely I think .

I am familiar with the definition.  If you have a valid point, by all means submit it.

If I am not swayed by nonsense, I suppose that makes me 'narrow minded' as far as you can tell.

21 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

"I wish I was wrong." Well you are. Debt per taxpayer is currently $227k per the debt clock.

"50 percent of federal revenue comes from individual income taxes, 7 percent from corporate income taxes, and another 36 percent from payroll taxes that fund social insurance programs "

spacer.png

"Conclusion The current tax code raises low levels of federal revenues from corporate income taxes, thus contributing to the growing national debt. However, there are opportunities for tax reforms that can help make our nation’s fiscal outlook more sustainable."

Too many of the people referred to as 'taxpayers' in the above treatment pay next to no taxes.  Looking up the statistics, well less than 100 million taxpayers pay nearly 100% of payroll and personal taxes, so I figured they'd be good for paying off the debt the Government has racked up.

If you tax businesses enough, they go elsewhere or go under.  It happens routinely.

My basic points are twofold:

1)  There is nobody suggesting how the Government can live within its means.

and

2)  There is nobody suggesting a viable way for the existing debt to be paid off.

Whenever I see a circumstance that has led to disaster each and every time it has been tried, and people try to explain to me how 'this time it's different,' I don't buy it.

If you want to quibble over the details, leave that for the autopsy.

BSBD,

Winsor 

(edited)
22 hours ago, BIGUN said:

To Winsor's point. 20 years ago, we had a 4T dollar debt and it was all the scare. Today, we face a 27T dollar debt - and the US population growth has slowed to 8% - Lowest increase since the 1930's

Maybe it's time to grow the nation through immigration. There are lots of people in shithole countries waiting for their chance. Many of them non Christians who could help remove the stain of that religion from your society!

Edited by gowlerk

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Maybe it's time to grow the nation through immigration. There are lots of people in shithole countries waiting for their chance. Many of them non Christians who could help remove the stain of that religion from your society!

Oh Lookie. The angry anti-everything U.S. Canadian woke up on his side of the bed. I know you think you said something very profound, but all I heard blah, blah...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, fuck the U.S. 

11 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Oh Lookie. The angry anti-everything U.S. Canadian woke up on his side of the bed. I know you think you said something very profound, but all I heard blah, blah...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, fuck the U.S. 

Yes, that's it exactly. What side of the bed are you on?

19 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Ssssshush. Canada has a good thing going. Cherry picking the best most well educated and monied immigrants using its points system. It doesn't need the US elbowing into that sweet setup.

The GOP has it right.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Can anyone explain why conservatives only worry about the debt and deficits when a Democrat is president?  Anyone? Bueller?

The 'conservative' press is one thing, but many people you deem 'conservatives' have been appalled at our rate of overspending since Reagan.

During the '60s and '70s our deficits were to some extent cancelled out by inflation.  You spend more than you make, but can pay it back with cheaper dollars.  Unfortunately, Reagan didn't understand this debtor's dynamic, and figured it was just fine to both increase the debt and suppress inflation.  As Rocky told Bullwinkle, "that trick never works!"

If our elected representatives were to stand pointing at each other, screaming "everyone on the opposition is a sleazy asshole!"

My response would be "relax, you're both right!"

Why you seem to think there is the slightest bit of difference in integrity (or lack thereof) between the parties is beyond me.  The people running for office who understand Math, History and Physics and speak the truth are easily identified - they're the ones who get trounced.

The electorate seems to go to the polls listening to Johnny Lang's 'Lie to Me.'  Nobody wants to hear nasty realities, even when they're sugar coated.

Humorists often have a good handle on reality, to wit:

“When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. ”

― Dave Barry

I give you our last president as an example.  I still feel nauseated when he pops up in the news cycle, though I rate his 2016 opponent as worse overall.  As an aside, I wish he had been banished from the public sphere, since we have bigger issues to address than that petulant blowhard.

Back to the debt.

Someone said that we were spending money like a drunken sailor.

My response was that this notion was an insult to drunken sailors everywhere - when drunken sailors run out of money, they stop spending.

We're a bit more like someone with infinite markers at the roulette wheel.  At the end of the night, the balance is not just a lot to repay but more than our gambler will ever be worth.

We have gotten away with it for as long as we have because we're 'too big to fail,' and print the world's reserve currency.  That's all well and good, but when this bubble pops, it will be, let us say, 'interesting.'

BSBD,

Winsor

3 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Ssssshush. Canada has a good thing going. Cherry picking the best most well educated and monied immigrants using its points system. It doesn't need the US elbowing into that sweet setup.

The GOP has it right.

And nearly 50,000 refugees as well. About the equivalent of 500,000 for America. Immigrants drive real growth in both countries. And both are largely empty at this point. But with only 10 million people in Norway most come from counties the the "leader" of the GOP considers to be shitholes. The GOP has almost nothing right. The GOP immigration policy is driven by Stephen Miller type thinking. The GOP invented "chain immigration" long ago because it was thought to encourage white immigration. Now they can't muster the votes to stop it.

On 8/1/2021 at 3:13 AM, winsor said:

The 'conservative' press is one thing, but many people you deem 'conservatives' have been appalled at our rate of overspending since Reagan.

. . . until a republican is elected president.   Republicans were cheering when Trump announced he would increase military spending. build the wall (and a dozen other pork barrel projects) and cut taxes.  He even promised to balance the budget, demonstrating that the US has a serious issue with math competency.

12 hours ago, billvon said:

. . . until a republican is elected president.   Republicans were cheering when Trump announced he would increase military spending. build the wall (and a dozen other pork barrel projects) and cut taxes.  He even promised to balance the budget, demonstrating that the US has a serious issue with math competency.

Okay, we get it: Republicans are poopyheads, Orange man bad.

There is a difference between fiscal conservatives and Republicans/Trump supporters.  I know we keep getting back to dueling definitions, but the 'conservatives' to which I refer are the fiscal variety, who may well be social liberals.  I suspect Libertarian is closer to the mark, though there is effectively zero chance that a Libertarian Party candidate has a shot in any national election.

If you have a viable plan as to how to deflate the 'everything bubble' before it produces catastrophic results, great.  I suspect we are well beyond critical mass.

BSBD,

Winsor

3 hours ago, winsor said:

Okay, we get it: Republicans are poopyheads, Orange man bad.

Not even close.  But if such oversimplifications make it easier for you to sleep at night - hey, it's better than drugs or alcohol I guess.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, billvon said:

Not even close.  But if such oversimplifications make it easier for you to sleep at night - hey, it's better than drugs or alcohol I guess.

Oh, I don't know.  I made a reference to 'conservative' in a fiscal sense and got reflexive snark about Republicans and Trump.

If you actually have something of value to add, great!

BSBD,

Winsor