KrisS

AFF Refresher

Hi all,

I'm desperately trying to find somewhere I can jump this July that's not Spain or the US, but that can sign me off USPA.

I have 35 jumps and have completed my AFF. I have completed the majority of my A Licence jumps but not all and I haven't jumped for at least 2 years.

I've spoken to 3 drop zones in the US and they have said I need to complete a ground school refresher and 1 check jump.

So I'm looking for somewhere that won't ask me to complete a full AFF again to get back jumping as that's unaffordable for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Kris

Sorry to say but a groundschool refresher and 1 check jump is incredibly lax. You should have more respect for what it takes to safely skydive. 35 jumps two years ago without finishing your A-license (if I understand you) is borderline useless for resuming jumping. You should see three DZ's telling you the same thing as a giant flapping red flag in your face.

I almost wonder if this post is a joke and you're trying to get some idiot to stop shopping around for the answer he/she wants.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

A refresher is not a full AFF FJC. It's a review. The more you know or remember, the less the Instructor has to teach. The less the Instructor has to teach, the less the refresher looks like a full FJC. The less it looks like a full FJC, the shorter the time it takes to get through it. If it takes a while to get through a refresher course, it it highly likely it was needed. And if it is needed, better to find out through a little Q&A than when the shit hits the fan for real.

As for doing a check jump... It's a skydive. One. Live it up. Jump through the hoops, show off, prove your shit, give them reason to trust & believe. Then get your damn A license and avoid this in the future.

With 2 years since your last jump, even if you had an A B C or D license you would be doing review with an instructor and at least one jump under instructor supervision. If you held any instructor rating you'd need to take that course and do the jumps again. You're getting off easy.

sammielu

With 2 years since your last jump, even if you had an A B C or D license you would be doing review with an instructor and at least one jump under instructor supervision.

Not so fast. That's not a BSR. That would strictly be up to the individual drop zone. Once you have the A license there are zero requirements for returning after a layoff of any length. None.

kimemerson

***With 2 years since your last jump, even if you had an A B C or D license you would be doing review with an instructor and at least one jump under instructor supervision.

Not so fast. That's not a BSR. That would strictly be up to the individual drop zone. Once you have the A license there are zero requirements for returning after a layoff of any length. None.

The original poster didn't quite get their A license. I'd be willing to do an in-depth review and go up on a Level 3 or 4.

Replies appreciated.

Maybe I didn't word my question well enough. I'm more than happy to complete necessary training (A ground school and a few levels) but I'm hoping to not have to start at level 1 again however useless my previous training was. Hoping to respect my pocket a little in the process.

Well thanks for the advice. Hopefully I'll have an A licence by the end of summer and will still be able to keep the lights on.;)

Peace & Love

At my DZ if you were to try to get recurrent, we would run you through an abbreviated review of the FJC based on your knowledge and responses. Then I would send you with an AFFI for a CAT D-E recurrency jump. Arm turns, at least one disorienting maneuver, and back to belly with no assistance, pull on time without assistance and track at least 5 seconds on heading. If you were successful, on to Coach jumps. If not, we re-evaluate your training program to A license. If you don't like it, you can try another DZ. My goal is to train safe, competent skydivers.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Good that you have a positive attitude towards this. After that long of a layoff and in reference to the process of becoming recurrent that others have listed it would benefit you to sit through an FJC and cover again all of the items on the A-Licence Proficiency Card. The AFF/Student progression is designed to get you to a point where you can learn on your own. Having not achieved this two years ago you can enter the world of solo and group jumping with some serious gaps. The DZ just needs to see that you're taking it upon yourself to get up to speed, not get the A-license with the bare minimum of effort. Sounds like you're on track.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Based on the way you worded your original post none of the 3 dzs you spoke to said you have to complete the full AFF program. They want you to sit through the AFF ground school and do a check dive to determine what you need to work on (which is exactly what you said you're looking to do - your post above).