docjohn

pulled cutaway handle on exit

I can't stop laughing...... That part where your sitting there pointing at his handle and he finally looks down. The look on his face (ummm ahhhh yeah that's my handle, so what.......oh, what the.....)

Hahaha, i agree, thats the funniest part. The few precious seconds that it takes him to realize exactly what he is looking at! :P
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

How do you know that the guy with 3600 hundred jumps "knows what he did wrong"?

huuuhhhhhh? where does it state that the poster of the videolink is identical to the guy that put up the vid on youtube???????????
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I'm going to have to agree with Sangi on this.

Not one person so far, has come down on this guy for pulling this guy's cutaway handle.

How do you know that the guy with 3600 hundred jumps "knows what he did wrong"?

Why isn't anyone yelling for him to get rid of the camera until he has the where-with-all to focus on mutiple tasks and be safe?

There seems to be a double standard by many of you.

BTW:
I know for a fact that I saw another video from this guy (maybe last year) (maybe youtube) where someone funneled a formation and pulled someone elses PC or reserve as he was funneling through the formation. The canopy just missed the camera.

This group of jumpers (or DZ) seems to be grab happy wiith other people's gear.

Dude i get from the OP that he found the Video on Youturd, and posted it here.
I dont at all get the impression from his post that he actu8ally pulled the cutaway.

But my comprehension skillz might not be as MAD as yourz
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Dude i get from the OP that he found the Video on Youturd, and posted it here.
I dont at all get the impression from his post that he actu8ally pulled the cutaway.

But my comprehension skillz might not be as MAD as yourz

Okay, Squeak with his mad skillz finally figured out that DocJohn did NOT pull the cut-away handle and did NOT take the video and did NOT post it on YouTube. He just shared the link.

Did any of those who are ranting watch the video and listen to the music that was selected and see the great big "SORRY" note at the end of the video. It is obvious that they guy feels really bad about what happened. I'd even be willing to bet that it was an ACCIDENT. I bet he's never done that before and I bet he never does it again. And I bet he owes beer and a repack.

I think people should enjoy the facial expressions on the vid. They really are priceless. But they are only priceless because we all understand the gravity of pulling the wrong handle at the wrong time.

We all understand that this is serious. I showed it to a wuffo and had to explain why I was laughing so hard. Wuffo's don't get it, we all do. That is part of the reason it is such a funny video. I look at this video as a nice reminder to everyone here to be careful out there.

It sounds like you know who shot the video and pulled the handle.

I admit it is a funny video.

But all the humor aside. How many jumps does he have? And do you think it's ok for him to continue jumping with a camera?

I realize he may be a friend, so we may get a less than candid answer.

It sounds like you know who shot the video and pulled the handle.

I admit it is a funny video.

But all the humor aside. How many jumps does he have? And do you think it's ok for him to continue jumping with a camera?

I realize he may be a friend, so we may get a less than candid answer.

I only know that DocJohn didn't take it because I was sitting at his house at his desk when we found it and I watched him post the link to dz.com.

How about it "Docjohn", who took the video? Do you know the guy? Is he from your DZ?

Nope, wasn't me. Hoy and I were watching the Youtube video last night. We were laughing so hard we thought we'd share it with the dz.com crowd. Though you'd get a chuckle out of it. Guess I didn't see the lynch mob lighting up their torches.
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

Guess I didn't see the lynch mob lighting up their torches.

That's because this is dorkzone...the mob's torches torches are always lit.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Hey, i'm not saying there isnt any reason not to be upset. Just pointing out the obvious here about the mob.

If you read above you will see that although i think the video is hysterical because of the facial expressions I actually sided with Sangi on how many on here want to let this slide.

I personally dont care what slides and what doesnt. I just think the incredible double standard is hysterical.

You are correct though, if something like this happened to me I would be quite upset. Although it's obvious the person who did it did so on accident, and they were obviously very sorry, it doesnt change the issue that someone that should know better put their hand in a very bad place. I would say the person who pulled the handle has at least a few hundred jumps based on his ability to sitfly only using his legs as he was using his arms to signal.

They were probably still leg-locked at that point, don't give the kid too much credit!

I would say the person who pulled the handle has at least a few hundred jumps based on his ability to sitfly only using his legs as he was using his arms to signal.

WOW! I am amazed at the conclusions people came to after posting this video.

To Set the record straight. I am the one who took this video that I am also ashamed of. The "victim" in ths accident is an STA and close friend. So you better believe there was a discussion afterwards. I landed with his reserve pilot chute, paying for his repack and of course a case of beer. 100 apologies have been made and accepted. This is out of character and has been filed as a "freak" accident by my fellow skydivers.

But what happened...... happened and I created and posted this video for 2 reasons (in no order.)

1. To make a humorous and entertaining apology to my friend who i did this to.

2. Hopefully atleast 1 person may learn something from this and it may save someones life.

For those of you who enjoyed it or learned something from it... I thank you and encourage you to pass it along.

For the haters who think i am the worst skydvier ever....become a politician. Sit on the side lines and be quick to criticize everyone with not all the facts....you would be great (and you make no mistakes ofcourse)

BLue Skies

BTC

I'll further set the record straight since the I'm the goofy looking guy in the video.
Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm sure many of you would react in a variety of different ways if you were in my shoes so I'm only going to speak from my perspective/opinion.
Could the have been avoided? absolutely. But it wasn't, and that's one reason we're here, to learn.
The lesson here is to pay attention to your hands and where they're at on a dive, especially on exit. That, and accidents happen, no matter how much prevention is involved, they will still happen.
By posting a video of an accident that turned out okay, where every one landed safe, and the most damage that was done was a little dust on a freebag, and maybe some bruising to an ego (which it totally in check, there's no skygod mentality from bobtomcrap) We get the benefit to laugh along with learn. I know myself and everyone involved on the jump had a great learning experience and hopefully after chuckling at my expression, anyone that sees the video will too.
For those questioning the experience level of bobtomcrap, he's not a veteran cameraflyer but I've been on numerous jumps with him, including my tandem jumps. Without hesitation, I trust him completely to film me and my tandem students again. Jump numbers don't tell me much about ability, actions do, I know jumpers/videographer's that have a lot more time and jumps in their logbook, but I wouldn't trust them half as much as I trust bobtomcrap.

With that said, I also have the exclusive benefit of knowing my facial expression wasn't the funniest one on that jump. We rarely get to see the cameraman's face, and damn, I wish you could have. The look of terror and panic on his face as he was holding my cutaway handle was more than enough to show guilt and sorrow for his actions. And yes, I find that hilarious. Most anyone that knows me well would agree it's completely on par with my sense of humor to laugh my ass of about this after the appropriate conversations have been had.

After flying away from the camera (cutaway handle held against my body) I stuffed what I could down my jumpsuit, grabbed the extra wire flying about and put in in my teeth. Checked my altitude, went through a quick confirmation in my head to verify that there was no risk in leaving my main in the container, and deployed my reserve. My sweet flying, perfect opening, great flaring, Smart reserve.

My reaction in this video isn't terror or shock, it's surprise at what's in bobtomcrap's hand and an understanding of why he had that look on his face. Practicing my emergency procedures in a hanging harness only a few weeks earlier and discussing events similar to this at Safety Day helped me be completely prepared for an emergency situation that I was able to walk away from and laugh.

And oh yes, my reserve was due for a repack in 2 weeks so thanks for the free repack! ;)

For the haters who think i am the worst skydvier ever....become a politician. Sit on the side lines and be quick to criticize everyone with not all the facts....you would be great (and you make no mistakes ofcourse)

So provide us with the facts. How many jumps do you have? And how many with camera?

That is the funniest damn thing I have seen in a while. And all you guys with the overly dramatic comments about having 1 of his 2 chances to live taken away, go talk to a base jumper or take a base course and make a jump. You'll be pretty content with that one chute.

BS
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

I had to watch it a few more times LMAO!!

I get this Chris Farley / David Spade thing going through my head. :D

Glad every one is safe....funny as hell!

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

What was done was done, there was no turing back at that point. What I saw was you handle that handle in the most professional manner and you made sure to not only make sure the problem was known to the guy, but that he was fully aware what was going on before you let it go, it was very clear what you were saying, then you made sure to wave off the other in the group and let them know there was a major problem and get away.

It showed your level headed and remained calm, cool and collected, so did the guy you handed his own handle too. Pretty top notch dealing with a problem that could have be ugly had both not remained cool.

Anyone hating on you, well fuck um, who cares what they think!

Now just wait about 4 months and get both of you on a belly dive and fly up and dock on your buddy and hand him another one that is a spare you hide in your jump suit, make sure you smile real big as you make the hand off and do it really high up.......;) Then track fast!:P

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

That is the funniest damn thing I have seen in a while. And all you guys with the overly dramatic comments about having 1 of his 2 chances to live taken away, go talk to a base jumper or take a base course and make a jump. You'll be pretty content with that one chute.

BS

+1

(Just landed my one and only parachute a few minutes agoB| First slider up tower of the season!)

To the people in the video: Thanks for the stories, and a really funny video!
BASE 1384

Hey, i'm not saying there isnt any reason not to be upset. Just pointing out the obvious here about the mob.

If you read above you will see that although i think the video is hysterical because of the facial expressions I actually sided with Sangi on how many on here want to let this slide.

I personally dont care what slides and what doesnt. I just think the incredible double standard is hysterical.

You are correct though, if something like this happened to me I would be quite upset. Although it's obvious the person who did it did so on accident, and they were obviously very sorry, it doesnt change the issue that someone that should know better put their hand in a very bad place. I would say the person who pulled the handle has at least a few hundred jumps based on his ability to sitfly only using his legs as he was using his arms to signal.

He wasn't sit flying... I'm sure he was in a gorilla with that dude.

ETA: sorry man, never mind I see someone already said that.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Why isn't anyone yelling for him to get rid of the camera until he has the where-with-all to focus on mutiple tasks and be safe?

There seems to be a double standard by many of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad3Hzsy1-20&feature=related&fmt=35 ;)
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

So provide us with the facts. How many jumps do you have? And how many with camera?

you're working really hard on becoming the next jump-count-nazi, aren't you? :S

everybody is free to fill out whatever he/she feels appropraite in his profile. real life names are optional as well. and since many - if not most - of the people posting in here never will get a chance to know each other in person there is alomost no way to find out if the info provided is factual or not. ergo: slow down grasshopper :|
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Who cares? ... or more importantly, why do you seem to care?

P.S what a great video and explanation from the actual folks involved.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome