1 1
winsor

EUA

3 hours ago, winsor said:

I wasn't referring to this website at all, and, if it is, in fact, all about you, that's news to me.

If you think that, you have either been replying to the wrong thread, or you understood nothing of what was in that post.

37 minutes ago, billvon said:

If you think that, you have either been replying to the wrong thread, or you understood nothing of what was in that post.

I can't see how it makes any difference.  As I pointed out earlier, we are talking past each other - which may, indeed, be for the best.

I don't recall you seeking to clarify much, and I am not holding my breath that you are likely to consider what I have to say under the assumption that I mean what I say ("Dittohead?!"  Jesus...).

BSBD,

Winsor

4 hours ago, billvon said:

Don't kid yourself. He understands perfectly well.

These two threads have shown some of the most effective gaslighting I've ever seen on here. 

6 hours ago, billvon said:

It doesn't make any difference if you understand what we're talking about here?

OK then.  Post on Chewbacca!

When dealing with a system of belief, it does not make any difference how accurate is a point that flies in the face of said belief.  It is a matter of pride amongst True Believers to hold fast to their beliefs when confronted with facts that demonstrate the invalidity of their belief system.  I'll cite references if this concept is new to you.

Since True Believers have the tendency to treat heretics harshly, it is safer that you have no idea what I'm talking about than to decide that I have Dangerous Ideas that must be Dealt With (that doesn't usually end well).

My underlying thesis is that the Woke belief system, like most systems of belief, appeals to those with a cognitive vulnerability, are hard of thinking or both.  The level of delusion necessary to seriously ponder how many angels can dance on the head of a pin is a classic example.

I understand that the safest way to deal with Largely Peaceful True Believers is to appear to agree with them, and a lot of corporations go to great lengths to avoid drawing fire from the strident Social/Racial Justice Warriors.  Beats getting burned to the ground or otherwise put out of business, I suppose.

Beyond the self-righteous indignation and name calling, I don't get a lot out of what people have to say contrary to any point I have made.  Then again, one shouldn't go through the Monkey House if they're not braced for having poo thrown at them.

Thus, I suspect there are people who are in agreement with me who know better than to stand up and draw fire.  I don't blame them.

BSBD,

Winsor

(edited)
40 minutes ago, winsor said:

My underlying thesis is that the Woke belief system, like most systems of belief, appeals to those with a cognitive vulnerability, are hard of thinking or both.  The level of delusion necessary to seriously ponder how many angels can dance on the head of a pin is a classic example.

damn, these two threads are almost identical, i posted the answer to the wrong one.  my bad.  see how that's done?

Edited by sfzombie13
wrong thread

(edited)
15 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Don't kid yourself. He understands perfectly well.

These two threads have shown some of the most effective gaslighting I've ever seen on here. 

When I was much, much younger, when I encountered people who were apparently oblivious to things that were glaringly obvious, I felt I was doing them a favor by pointing out their oversight.  I discovered that, far from being grateful, they were often furious that all the effort they put into denying unpleasant realities was for naught.  

An example was a colleague plying a lady at the bar with drinks.  I noted to him that she was consuming tea rather than cognac, was an employee of the bar, and was absolutely not going home with them.  That did not go over well.

I have since found that people find solace in fantasy and ritual, and I have nothing to replace the 'knowledge' that dying with a sword in one's hand is a ticket to Valhalla.  Some people find skepticism/cynicism frightening, and scared people are dangerous.

Gaslighting? Not hardly - I'm serious as a heart attack.

BSBD,

Winsor

Edited by winsor

1 hour ago, winsor said:

When I was much, much younger, when I encountered people who were apparently oblivious to things that were glaringly obvious, I felt I was doing them a favor by pointing out their oversight.  

Maybe, just maybe, they’d either thought about what you were telling them, or even valued aspects differently. You might not even always be the only smart person. 
Wendy P. 

40 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Maybe, just maybe, they’d either thought about what you were telling them, or even valued aspects differently. You might not even always be the only smart person. 
Wendy P. 

Mostly just having seen the movie before.  The guy buying 'drinks' for an attractive lady that didn't get the slightest bit intoxicated is the example I cited.

I never said I was smart.  I never finished High School (for real).

BSBD,

Winsor