FB1609

Plane crashes

FB1609

Just looking at the first page of the incidents forum...seems like a lot of plane crashes lately to me!

More than usual? Ever been in one? Does it worry you much where you jump?

Wow! Quickly counted 11 aircraft-related incidents on the first page alone! The next time some clueless whuffo brings up that tired old "perfectly good airplane" meme, you can show them that! :S

I never have, but I feel like I have enough friends who have that... well, if not simply a matter of time, then something that should be taken as fairly likely. Buckle up good, helmets on...

I've had one drew-the-short-straw exit in crappy conditions so the plane was able to be landed, but that doesn't really count :P
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I am wondering how much is simply better reporting. How much more reporting is due to the prevalence of GoPro cameras?

As for your second question:
Yes!
I was injured in a King Air crash back in 2008.
Plane crashing sucks!
Recovering from all those injuries sucks!
Starving, while trying to heal from surgery sucks!
But the worst part is lawyers Prolonging Traumatic Stress by dragging out court cases 8 years after the crash!

This is my website section where I list all jump plane accidents that I have found. I am focused on the pilot and their training so my list includes accidents that may not have jumpers on at the moment of the accident. But the accidents affect the industry none the less.

http://diverdriver.com/accidents-by-year/
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Yes, it was a skydiving plane that crashed 2008 August 3.
The King Air had 3 tandems and a solo onboard when an engine quit. The pilot shut down the other engine and force-landed it in a farm field off the end of the runway.
4 years later, Workmans' Compensation Board of British Columbia announced that they were suing everyone vaguely involved to subrogate the money they spent rehabilitating the 3 wounded TIs and the solo.
7.5 years after the crash, all but Transport Canada and the airplane owners have been excused from the lawsuit. The next court hearing is in July 2016.
How many more years this lawsuit will drag on is a mystery???????

Th saddest part is how the Superior Court of British Columbia "lost the plot" back in 2012 and proceeded despite protests from the wounded. My financial and emotional losses - during this prolonged trial - now exceed my damages from the original crash.
Do I sound bitter?

diverdriver

This is my website section where I list all jump plane accidents that I have found. I am focused on the pilot and their training so my list includes accidents that may not have jumpers on at the moment of the accident. But the accidents affect the industry none the less.

http://diverdriver.com/accidents-by-year/

Well done!

^ sounds like a nightmare, more than 7 years, wow

FB1609

Just looking at the first page of the incidents forum...seems like a lot of plane crashes lately to me!

More than usual? Ever been in one? Does it worry you much where you jump?

You can view my list of jump plane accidents at my website. http://diverdriver.com/accidents-by-year/

They are ALL jump plane accidents. My website focusses on the pilot and all aspects of the job. So my list contains accidents while flying skydivers, maintenance flights and ferry flights.

While we had a fatal jump plane crash this year it is the first fatal jump plane crash with skydivers on board since December of 2010 so it is a rare occurrence. I started speaking out on jump plane safety after a horrible 1997 season and a fatal crash killed some friends in 1998. Since that time the number of accidents per year and the number of fatalities per year has come down overall. We bob between 5-10 accidents per year. I don't like that many at all but I have to say it is much better. This is due to an overall industry effort to improve jump plane safety. And again, some of the accidents on my list would not make the USPA list as they only focus on when jumpers are on board or have departed during that particular flight.

edit to add: Sorry, I just realized I had responded to you already but had not put down what I thought about the accident rate.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

radical_flyer

Were you one of the TIs on board? What was the extent of your (and others') injuries?

........................................................................................

Yes, I was one of the TIs onboard that King Air when it crashed. Everyone on board was injured.
My injuries included: concussion, 9 stitches to forehead, broken nose, dislocated shoulder, 3 torn ligaments in my left knee, bruised sternum and ribs, sciatica, etc!
Heck! Everything I owned was bruised. It was 2 months before I slept through the night and a year before I could walk without pain.
My dis-located shoulder healed 80 percent, but surgeons do not know how to repair the three torn knee ligaments. Starvation slowed the healing process.

The second TI: Reno suffered a concussion and was hospitalized for a week. When I spoke with him a week after the accident, still had no short-term memory. The last time I spoke with Reno was in June 2014 (almost 6 years after the accident). Reno was frustrated by lengthy legal processes and wondered why he had not seen any money. "If I had known it was going to take this long, I never would have gotten involved."

The third TI: Gus suffered a broken leg, but still helped the pilot pull wounded from the wreckage. Gus is equally frustrated by lengthy legal proceedings.

Speaking of the pilot, he suffered a cut forehead. He is frustrated by lengthy legal procedures.

One student suffered a fractured pelvis. I can still remember her screams in the hospital!

Finally, the solo jumper named J.P. suffered such bad brain injuries that he will never be half the man he used to be. To his credit, that tough old paratrooper has recovered far more than anyone expected. Just like a stubborn old soldier to mess with all the insurance company's precise predictions.
Hah!
Hah!

Aha! I finally figured out why the bullies (in lawyer suits) representing Transport Canada have dragged out these legal proceedings for almost 8 years: they are hoping J.P. will make a complete recovery and they will end up owing zero. Meanwhile they are ignoring how thier lengthy legal processes prolong the traumatic stress of the wounded.

The worst part is lawyers who keep reminding me of the crash 8 years later. My memories of the crash have faded only to be replaced by nightmares involving bulldykes wearing Raven suits!!!!!
Oh! Wait a minute .....
This cannot be a nightmare because I am not in bed. ...... I am sitting in the Superior Court of British Columbia?????????

Daywalker585

For what it's worth, I'm a new jumper and not a pilot, but it's my understanding that most aviation incidents are during take off and landing. That's pretty much all jump planes do. The safest part of the flight is cruise and they never really do it

Jumprun is considered cruise flight for jump planes.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

diverdriver

While we had a fatal jump plane crash this year it is the first fatal jump plane crash with skydivers on board since December of 2010 so it is a rare occurrence.

And "we" is defined as...? US only, North America, USPA? We've definitely had several fatal crashes in Europe, in fact one particularly bad one right after I started in the sport (Piper Navajo in Poland).
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

mathrick

***While we had a fatal jump plane crash this year it is the first fatal jump plane crash with skydivers on board since December of 2010 so it is a rare occurrence.

And "we" is defined as...? US only, North America, USPA? We've definitely had several fatal crashes in Europe, in fact one particularly bad one right after I started in the sport (Piper Navajo in Poland).

Yes. The USA. It is the focus of my website even though I do post articles on accidents outside the USA. The regulations, accident report links and training center around flying skydivers in the USA. We fly approximately 100,000 hours of skydivers every year and I believe it is more than any other country. So, getting a statistic from this data set will have less variation than other parts of the world.

Sorry if my post seemed myopic. I just have not tried to track every jump plane crash in the world. I don't have the resources.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

The most frustrating thing with these aircraft investigations, is the knee jerking and flip flopping from the authorities. When a discrepancy leading to implications comes to be in the said investigation,they don't want to know anything about it, rendering the investigation completely invalid.

They are all just ass covering, that is what people do these days...honesty hurts in this cruel world.

When you have lost good friends it is devastating, let alone having to recover from major injuries like some of you have...

radical_flyer

Damn, that's rough. Sounds like you've really been through the wringer. What caused the herniated discs?

We are not certain what herniated my spinal discs. Probably a combination of 8 guys landing on top of me, then we all got tossed around the cabin with me ending up on top of the dogpile; with poor J.P. stuck underneath the dog pile.
Poor J.P.

diverdriver

Sorry if my post seemed myopic. I just have not tried to track every jump plane crash in the world. I don't have the resources.

No worries, I was honestly just asking, didn't mean to be accusatory. As much as the implicit US-centrism tends to annoy me in general, in this case it's perfectly justified and understandable; I merely wanted to know what your scope was.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

mathrick

No worries, I was honestly just asking, didn't mean to be accusatory. As much as the implicit US-centrism tends to annoy me in general, in this case it's perfectly justified and understandable; I merely wanted to know what your scope was.

While I don't necessarily "track" jump plane accidents outside the USA I do make posts on them at my website. I don't ignore them either. I also have discussion at my DiverDriver.com Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DiverDriverCom/
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

mathrick

***While we had a fatal jump plane crash this year it is the first fatal jump plane crash with skydivers on board since December of 2010 so it is a rare occurrence.

Somewhere on the web is a list of all the plane crashes in the world going back several years. When my computer took a dump I lost it.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals