1 1
siegfriedewargny

Icon total malfunction

19 hours ago, skydiverek said:

Reserve closing loop was 7/8" longer than normal for a solo Icon.

When in doubt, install 4.5" closing loops in reserves (Icon, Mirage, Sidewinder, Vector, etc.).

javelins use closing loops about half that length.

On 7/26/2021 at 10:12 PM, skydiverek said:

No because everytime it does not work, the Icon rig was worn on jumper's back, anyway Aerodyne does not explain why it does not work as it should, in the document Aerodyne only says : you should not do this ...

On 8/3/2021 at 11:04 AM, siegfriedewargny said:

No because everytime it does not work, the Icon rig was worn on jumper's back, anyway Aerodyne does not explain why it does not work as it should, in the document Aerodyne only says : you should not do this ...

There are thousands of possible reasons for a reserve hesitation that are NOT the fault of the manufacturer. I'm not saying that it cannot possibly ever be the fault of the manufacturer, but I AM saying that you're jumping to conclusions awfully fast. And Aerodyne does indicate why an excessive long closing loop is bad: it doesn't compress the pilot chute fully and reduces its effectiveness significantly.

If we as riggers in the world are to improve the safety of skydiving equipment everywhere, we need to keep an open mind AND be thorough, detailed and open in our analysis. Baseless accusations are worth less than the electricity used to transmit them. If you want me to take you seriously, show what that rig is exactly. What reserve is in it? What main is it in? What AAD is in it? What length is the closing loop? What size exactly is the rig? How was it packed? How was it tested? What exactly did you observe in the failures? Where did stuff catch that wasn't supposed to catch? It's like high school math, just writing down the final number is not enough, you've got to show the work done.

Pretty please with sugar on top, show the f*ing details. Otherwise, I'm bringing the beer to Baksteen's popcorn party.

• Like 3

(edited)
2 hours ago, IJskonijn said:

There are thousands of possible reasons for a reserve hesitation that are NOT the fault of the manufacturer. I'm not saying that it cannot possibly ever be the fault of the manufacturer, but I AM saying that you're jumping to conclusions awfully fast. And Aerodyne does indicate why an excessive long closing loop is bad: it doesn't compress the pilot chute fully and reduces its effectiveness significantly.

If we as riggers in the world are to improve the safety of skydiving equipment everywhere, we need to keep an open mind AND be thorough, detailed and open in our analysis. Baseless accusations are worth less than the electricity used to transmit them. If you want me to take you seriously, show what that rig is exactly. What reserve is in it? What main is it in? What AAD is in it? What length is the closing loop? What size exactly is the rig? How was it packed? How was it tested? What exactly did you observe in the failures? Where did stuff catch that wasn't supposed to catch? It's like high school math, just writing down the final number is not enough, you've got to show the work done.

Pretty please with sugar on top, show the f*ing details. Otherwise, I'm bringing the beer to Baksteen's popcorn party.

Did anyone address what that metal pull-up slotted plate was doing in there?  A person could conclude the video was intentionally set-up to fail, but the plate just fell out so obviously?

Edited by sundevil777
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 11:04 AM, siegfriedewargny said:

Icon rig, the whole rig is a bad copy of every other rig on the market..no real ingeeniring behind.

Please try to bring data, not opinions, to the discussion. That would include things like answering the questions about what the metal thing was coming out, how a rig was packed, and other things.

"XXX sucks donkey dogs" is not data.

Wendy P.

• Like 5

I feel that this is bashing and probably defamation against the manufacturer. It seems that the intent of these persons is to keep the tread active to damage the reputation of Icon. Without proper facts and answers to the "piece of metal" question, the moderator should probably intervene, warn the users and delete the thread. Be safe all, jerome.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jeanneretjerome said:

I feel that this is bashing and probably defamation against the manufacturer. It seems that the intent of these persons is to keep the tread active to damage the reputation of Icon. Without proper facts and answers to the "piece of metal" question, the moderator should probably intervene, warn the users and delete the thread. Be safe all, jerome.

You just made it active again, as I am doing too. Every time someone comments the thread moves to the top of the list. There is probably no chance that it will be removed so just move on.

2 hours ago, piisfish said:

I’ll let you think about it. Hint, it is TSO related. 

When Aerodyne reformed - and got a bunch of R&D funding - they hired the best designers from Parachutes de France, ergo Icons look like P. de F. Atoms.

Back during the 1980s, P. de F. led the world with zero-stretch suspension lines, zero-porosity fabric, tapered canopies, etc.

On 7/23/2021 at 4:54 AM, sfzombie13 said:

that's even worse than the first video.  hell, i can take a picture of my rig like that with the right shit stuffed inside. 

Icon rigs are the only rigs not authorized to use by French Army, Navy National Gendarmerie for years, for the only reason the rig is unsafe

this does not provide additional information. 
This thread is locked. 

Edited by wmw999