4 4
JerryBaumchen

Jan. 6 Panel

18 minutes ago, feuergnom said:

does that finally qualify & enable courts & prosecutors to engage in legal action????

They've provided compelling evidence, which the Justice Department will then evaluate (along with evidence that doesn't confirm the narrative, I hope), and then decide whether to prosecute. With the power that this committee had and its gravitas, I'm sure Justice wanted to wait until it was done. Those wheels grind slow, don't they?

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, feuergnom said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/dec/19/trump-criminal-charges-jan-6-panel-capitol-attack

From the news story:
"The January 6 committee has referred Donald Trump to the justice department to face criminal charges, accusing the former president of fomenting an insurrection and conspiring against the government over his attempt to subvert the outcome of the 2020 election, and the bloody attack on the US Capitol."

other news on that
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/12/19/us/jan-6-committee-trump
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3781265-how-trump-is-likely-to-be-haunted-by-jan-6-panel-long-after-its-exit/

does that finally qualify & enable courts & prosecutors to engage in legal action????

To be fair, the courts & prosecutors have always been able to engage in legal action.

They've just chosen not to.

The Justice Dept policy on not charging a sitting President is just that.

Policy. There are ZERO court rulings on it.

In many ways its a good policy. But it has its shortcomings, especially when the President engages in such obvious criminal behavior.

That policy, however, only applies to a sitting President.
Not a former President.

Ford pardoned Nixon to prevent that sort of prosecution. 
As I get older, I understand more and more why he did it. I still don't agree with it, but I understand.

The prosecution of a former President is unprecedented. It's never happened.
However, theft of classified materials, blatant corruption (including selling out to foreign powers) and refusal to participate in the peaceful transfer of power is ALSO unprecedented. Which is why the prosecution needs to happen.

As has been said, "if there are no consequences for that behavior, it will happen again."

Just now, wolfriverjoe said:

Meh. I've said for a LOOOOONG time that it would have been really awesome to see the mob get their hands on him.

Agreed. It would have been a hell of a lot harder for GOP tools to claim it was all just a "tourist visit", with a dead VP left behind.

1 minute ago, ryoder said:

Agreed. It would have been a hell of a lot harder for GOP tools to claim it was all just a "tourist visit", with a dead VP left behind.

I'm not entirely sure I would have liked to see him hang.

But I would have LOVED to see the mob grab him, drag him out to their gallows and put the noose around his neck.
To watch his reactions & behavior when he realized that his 'supporters' were going to lynch him. 
You know, like they did to "those people".

I would guess that there were Secret Service snipers around. There always are.
I'd also guess that as soon as it became clear the VP was in serious danger, the people holding him prisoner would have started dropping. 

And that is, of course, if the mob had been able to get him away from his immediate protective detail. 
I'd also guess that they would have opened fire on anyone who got close. I seem to remember that the detail had called & texted family to 'say goodbye', expecting to have to fight for their principals.

On Twitter, Adam Kinzinger had a great shutdown for some fool regarding the Jan 6 Committee;

Fool: "We need to hear the other side."

Kinzinger: "So you want to hear from the Democrats? All the evidence and testimony came from Republicans."

• Like 2

On 1/21/2023 at 11:34 AM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

So much for 'The Few, The Proud:'  Three active-duty Marines are charged in the Jan. 6 riot : NPR

Think Biden will give them a re-up bonus?

Jerry Baumchen

Lots of militaries in western nations are struggling to deal with the growing extremist views within their ranks. A problem that isn't going away, as much as leadership appears to be putting their heads in the sand. Likely cause enrolment numbers are down at the same time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Lots of militaries in western nations are struggling to deal with the growing extremist views within their ranks. A problem that isn't going away, as much as leadership appears to be putting their heads in the sand. Likely cause enrollment numbers are down at the same time.

And with that fine leadership example of criminal Lt. General Michael Flynn.

• Like 2