4 4
JerryBaumchen

Jan. 6 Panel

(edited)
1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Then it must be Republican regulations that are hindering refinery capacity.

Remember when you guys were laughing at the petroleum industry as the price of crude turned negative?  Well who’s laughing now?

”The solution to low oil prices is low oil prices”:rofl:

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)
20 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

The article says absolutely nothing about increased regulations reducing refinery capacity. Best case scenario you are lying, worst case you aren't smart enough to understand the words.

US refiners are banking massive profits in 2022.

"Oil exploration is down from its 2014 high because the largest oil exploration companies are opting to divert their cash to shareholders in the form of dividends, share buybacks, and debt paydowns rather than exploring for more oil. For instance, according to Bloomberg, in February, Occidental announced a $3 billion buyback program and a $5 billion paydown of its nearly $28 billion debt load. To be fair, for the overall industry, the number of rigs drilling for oil has increased 60% to 574 in the last year — which is nevertheless down some 64% from its 2014 high of 1,609, according to Baker Hughes BHI -5.5% ....

the gap between the price that refineries pay for oil and what they charge for gasoline — is a very wide 60%, according to the Journal. Sanctions against Russia could remove 1.4 million barrels per days of gasoline from the global supply. The result is higher refinery profits. For example, East Coast gasoline margins are up five-fold in the last two years — approaching $50 a barrel, noted the Journal. with its shares up 87% in 2022 — is Valero Energy which “engages in the manufacture and marketing of transportation fuels and other petrochemical products.” ... In the first quarter of 2022, Valero reported revenues up 89% to $37 billion — 20% more than analysts expected. Its profits soared 229% to $905 million  — up 168% from the year before. "

Oil refineries are making nearly five times as much money from refining petrol as they did year ago, data show.  "Figures from the data company Refinitiv show how the business of refining oil has become so profitable in the past year.

On the 8 June 2021, refiners were making $9.26 per barrel from refining petrol, and $6.84 per barrel refining diesel.

On Wednesday, they were making $43.11 on petrol, up 366%, and $51.13 on diesel, up 648%.

Figures published by BP, which owns a number of refineries in Europe and the US, shows its own measure of refining profits, the ‘Refining Marker Margin’, up from $7.7 dollars per barrel to $35.7 over the past year.

US oil giant ExxonMobil owns a number of refineries, including Fawley in Hampshire, the UK’s largest. Last month the Financial Times quoted its chief executive Darren Woods as saying he did not think that the “very, very high margin environment” was “good for economies around the world.”

Just as a tiger can't change its stripes. Brent just can't get past FOX talking points. i.e. Biden is responsible for gas prices.

Edited by Phil1111

38 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

He has to be indicted, convicted and firmly ensconced behind bars.  Only then will MSNBC cover something other than Trump 24/7

They are covering the attempted overthrow of American democracy. It's a complete horror that so many on the right think a buck less a gallon of gas and minority rule is more important. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

They are covering the attempted overthrow of American democracy. It's a complete horror that so many on the right think a buck less a gallon of gas and minority rule is more important. 

No, I mean Trump has been a major topic of discussion on Morning Joe EVERY SINGLE DAY for the last six years. Honestly I don’t know how they would fill their programming day without him.

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

No, I mean Trump has been a major topic of discussion on Morning Joe EVERY SINGLE DAY for the last six years. Honestly I don’t know how they would fill their programming day without him.

Then stop watching Morning Joe EVERY SINGLE DAY. I've watched some clips on news blogs but have never once watched a whole show. You can do it. Seriously.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Then stop watching Morning Joe EVERY SINGLE DAY. I've watched some clips on news blogs but have never once watched a whole show. You can do it. Seriously.

I think you are thinking about this the wrong way; Time he spends watching TV, is time he isn't posting on here. To me that is a big plus!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kallend said:

The Right Wing Grift Machine:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/06/14/jan-6-hearing-trump-fundraising-grift/

How the right wing pols have scammed the suckers who donate to them.

Testimony was that the average donation was $17 from trump supporters. Brent is likely pissed that he donated $17,000 and didn't get the 10/1 matching donation like he was promised.

56 minutes ago, ryoder said:

I think you are thinking about this the wrong way; Time he spends watching TV, is time he isn't posting on here. To me that is a big plus!

I don't know. I see him sitting with 10 screens monitoring 10 SC threads at a time wearing special glasses so he can watch FOX News like on a heads up display.  

(edited)
2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

It’s worth it when Democrat economist, Steve Rattner, says that Joe Manchin saved the the Country from hyperinflation by stopping BBB.  I have an unhealthy addiction to schadenfreude. 

Edited by brenthutch

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I don't know. I see him sitting with 10 screens monitoring 10 SC threads at a time wearing special glasses so he can watch FOX News like on a heads up display.  

What? No Newsmax or OAN?

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

It’s worth it when Democrat economist, Steve Rattner, says that Joe Manchin saved the the Country from hyperinflation by stopping BBB.  I have an unhealthy addiction to schadenfreude. 

Nah, you're just a very bored fellow. If you didn't have us, you'd be in desperate straits. You need to branch out and get a gig you'd be good at like running a gas station, teaching a class at Junior Achievement, or giving Mary a day off and holding the football.

13 hours ago, brenthutch said:

It’s worth it when Democrat economist, Steve Rattner, says that Joe Manchin saved the the Country from hyperinflation by stopping BBB.  I have an unhealthy addiction to schadenfreude

9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Nah, you're just a very bored fellow. If you didn't have us, you'd be in desperate straits. You need to branch out and get a gig you'd be good at like running a gas station, teaching a class at Junior Achievement, or giving Mary a day off and holding the football.

He could be right Joe. In typical GOP behavioral traits "frequent schadenfreude can indicate a mental health condition. People with personality diagnoses such as antisocial personality may delight in the pain of others and have little regard for others' well-being."

I'd have to check but this would be only the second time in a year that he's got something right.